PDA

View Full Version : Kitty& butterfly /WIP?

artbyjune
07-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone. I haven't posted an acrylic painting here for ages it seems.

This one is for a pet commission. Brief: The owner's ginger tabby kitten to be in a field of yellow bloom with a blue sky, front view of cat.

I finally came up with this design which I think will please her.

My question is: do you think it needs more work, e.g., to make it denser/more intense in colour, or to fix any other glaring thing I may not have noticed?:confused:

Personally, I rather like it pale and interesting...but maybe I'm just avoiding doing more work!!:lol:

Here is the painting so far. Acylics, 12 by 16 ins, watercolour paper.

Many thanks for looking and commenting.:D

jan409
07-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Very good. I like the soft colors. I would like to see some highlights on the cat. The lighting on the cat is all the same. There needs to be a light side and a shadow side to him. Also a touch of light on the butterfly. It would make both of them pop. I like the subject matter. Jan

Xique
07-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I like the picture alot. The sky and skyline looks too symetrical to me though. If it was mine, I would drop the tree on the right, and make cloads abit higher on one side.
I'm new to this stuff, so that could be bad advice. :)

Mike

Keven_Miller
07-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Love that orange tabby - he reminds me of my own. The colors are very satisfying, even though you describe them as pale. Nice palette.

Thanks for sharing.

stapeliad
07-12-2007, 02:29 PM
The cat could use more contrast...i like the narrative feel and the colors to this but nothing "pops out" so to speak. Some well placed highlights would help bring the cat out a little more.

*Violet*
07-12-2007, 02:30 PM
i love the moment in time that you've captured !! ... that gaze at the butterfly ... that paw that's about to swat ... !! ... nicely done ... i do agree tho that with the strong lighting that you indicate with the strong shadow on the ground that there should be shadows on the cat itself .... that, along with some highlights to indicate the strong lighting that creates the strong shadows, will give more life to the painting ... and maybe adding some different colour(s) to the butterfly would differentiate it some from the trees ... but again, i love what you have going here ...

Charlie's Mum
07-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi June - love the illustrative feel to this - and the whimsicallity too, while striving to keep it realistic:D

I agree about the contrasts - they do need beefing up ... and catchlights in the eyes too.

I think I'd also add some much lighter - and perhaps darker - colour to the butterfly - it'stoo near the sky colour in tone.

I really like this though - and doesn't need a lot more to make it work well :D

artbyjune
07-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Many thanks for the very helpful comments. I was feeling rather timid about messing this up. But I agree it needs more work on the cat and butterfly to denote the strong light...as indicated by that shadow on the ground.

OK brushing timidity aside, I will get cracking on an update...but probably not for a few days!! then I will post him here.

*Violet*
07-13-2007, 03:06 AM
looking forward to it !!

chammi kaiser
07-13-2007, 04:55 AM
I'm also looking forward to the finished work. Don't be scared - just enjoy.

artbyjune
07-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Update. Progress so far.

artbyjune
07-14-2007, 07:25 AM
I am quite pleased with it overall. I like the face and luckily I think it looks like the kitten in the photos I had to work with.

I can see a few bits I could improve..but..I might go on forever. I'm so glad to have managed to get this much done.

Linee
07-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Yes! You did good.:thumbsup:

jan409
07-14-2007, 09:24 AM
It does look better. Keep working on it I am sure it will be fine. Jan

*Violet*
07-14-2007, 09:39 AM
comparing your first post and this post, it's much improved ... you could call it done now and feel happy ... the charm on the collar, though, should have the highlights reversed i think ... i still love the moment in time and general feeling you get looking at it

Charlie's Mum
07-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Love his face June - but Violet's right about the tag! :D

And you could go on titivating - but do you want to? :lol:

Mz_Sketch_Pad
07-14-2007, 06:39 PM
i think you should stop working on it- just my opinion tho-- this painting is so sweet and charming- its so bright and happy and cheeful- its up to you- but don't do anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lilbelle
07-14-2007, 07:23 PM
This is great the way it is!! I agree, it looks wonderful and completed!

Mz_Sketch_Pad
07-14-2007, 07:55 PM
june- i visited your website and your pen and ink drawings are too cool

artbyjune
07-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Hi everyone. Thanks again for feedback. :thumbsup:

I think I'll leave it as is. I could go on with more contrasts but if it works just now; I won't risk it. :cat:

Thanks for visiting my site Mz Sketch Pad, and for commenting on my ink drawings. These are fun to do...whilst balancing the sketch book on my knee and watching TV. (and rhyming too!!).:lol:

artbyjune
07-15-2007, 03:15 AM
BTW, I just visited your site Lori (and its on tripod!)...I love your pet painting, cat on the ledge!!