PDA

View Full Version : Medium-soft Pastels

Eggy
07-11-2007, 11:36 PM
I noticed that most members use either soft or hard pastels, but what about medium-soft ones ?
Daler-Rowney are no longer making the medium-soft square sticks (some shops still have old stock but unfortunately not the complete range).:(
Does anyone use medium-soft and if so, what brand ?
The soft ones are quite chalky and the hard ones are not to my liking. Yes, I have tried Sennelier, Rembrandt and I always come back to Daler Rowney...maybe some suggestions might be useful.:)
Thanks.
Kind regards,
Eggy

mrking
07-11-2007, 11:46 PM
This is the list in order of hardness according to Dakota Pastels (http://www.dakotapastels.com/index_softpastels.shtml).

Listed in order of softness (#1 being the softest)

#1 SCHMINCKE
#2 GREAT AMERICAN
#3 SENNELIER
#4 UNISON
#5 TERRY LUDWIG
#6 DIANE TOWNSEND SOFT
#7 DIANE TOWNSEND TERRAGES
#8 DALER-ROWNEY
#9 GIRAULT
#10 MOUNT VISION
#11 REMBRANDT
#12 ART SPECTRUM
#13 WINSOR & NEWTON
#14 HOLBEIN
#15 NUPASTEL
#16 FABER-CASTELL POLYCHROMOS
#17 CRETACOLOR

Maybe try Girault or Diane Townsed and see what those are like.

Eggy
07-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Thank you mrking.
Looks like the Daler Rowney stock is very low "over the pond " aswell as in the UK :crying:
It so happens that I have got used to using square sticks (medium soft) and will have to change :cool:

Kind regards,
Eggy

artist_pw
07-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Hi:

You might give the Girault or Mount Visions a try. I got a few Giraults at the IAPS convention, and I really liked them but haven't had a chance to get a few more. I've gotten several Mount Visions and I really like their texture too. It seems like I really prefer the hard to medium soft pastels, and the Terry Ludwig - Unison range is about as soft as I go. I think Giraults are actually manufactured in France, so they might be a little more reasonable to get than the Mount Vision from the US, but I don't know. Hope this helps, and I hope you are able to find some that you like.

maggie latham
07-12-2007, 06:49 AM
:cat:
Hello,
There are several variables, and no one answer. The choice of pastel depends on which paper and what type of surface you are using, as much as your style and how you are going to execute the painting. Many artists use the very hard pastels such as Nu-pastels for blocking in, and then use various washes in turpenoid or water as an under-painting. This only marginally fills the tooth. Then move to the medium, and then finish with the soft. Being English myself I have brand loyalty to W&N products because I have used their watercolors for a long time. W & N blend well initially and I use to use them quite a bit. My preference is: Schmincke for glazing, Mount vision, unison, Terry Ludwig, and Diane Townsend. They all have subltle differences, and the differences are intrinsic to your method of working. It is my experience that one should try out as many different brands as possible, and find which works best on which surface. I think most of us are attracted to the color and value of the pastels as much as the brand.
Good Luck, and hope this is helpful,
Maggie

Kathryn Wilson
07-14-2007, 09:52 AM
I would recommend Giraults as a medium soft pastel. They are small and round and good for detail. If you want something for big blocks of color, they would not work. I like them for plein air work on smallish works.

chewie
07-14-2007, 12:35 PM
art spectrum

Eggy
07-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I have just been sent a huge wooden box of Girault pastels with a note which reads: "With compliments . Hope you like these". JF-H, I think it is from you. Is it the "Eggy" that gave me away or the article I wrote about you ?" !!!!
I really like them very much.

prestonsega
07-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Idealy I would like to underpaint in hard, then go with the softies , then scumble with the medium..........but in reality, when I pick up a pastel and it ain't working for me, its back in the tray.