PDA

View Full Version : First Acrylic on Canvas Panel

Finnegan18
07-11-2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2007/96641-Poppies_on_Green_Oxide.jpg
I put down an underpainting in green oxide to unify the painting and to tone down the orange I planned on using. Then I painted with a knife to create texture in the grasses. I used the acryics in a thin, watercolor-like fashion for the flowers. You can almost see the green oxide through them. The painting was done in acrylic on an 8 X 10 inch canvas. My goal was to create a harmonious composition. I just hope it isn't too boring. Let me know what you think about the technique and finished work. Thanks for any input.

idcrisis55
07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't find it boring at all. What colors did you use, if you don't mind me asking? I like the overlapping flowers and next time you might want to think about adding a bit of grayed or darker red to show the overlap of the two flowers a bit more.

jan409
07-11-2007, 06:14 PM
I think it is a good painting, the only thing I can add to the good advice Ann posted is I would add some lights to the grasses and leaves. Also along with some grays I would add some lights to the flowers. Good work. Jan

Paulafv
07-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Very nice. I can't understand the flower on the left, but it probably looks different up close.

laudesan
07-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Your first attempt is just terrific. Good for you..:clap: You have good advice ^^^..:)

Finnegan18
07-11-2007, 10:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2007/96641-Poppies_on_Green_Oxide.jpg
I put down an underpainting in green oxide to unify the painting and to tone down the orange I planned on using. Then I painted with a knife to create texture in the grasses. I used the acryics in a thin, watercolor-like fashion for the flowers. You can almost see the green oxide through them. The painting was done in acrylic on an 8 X 10 inch canvas. My goal was to create a harmonious composition. I just hope it isn't too boring. Let me know what you think about the technique and finished work. Thanks for any input.

I used only three colors: Hansa Orange, Permanent Green Light, and Green Oxide. The photo quality isn't really good. My lighting leaves much to be desired. In person you can tell that there are two flowers on the left. One is sort of folded over itself and the other is a side view. I relied more on texture than color to make it stand out. You can sort of see the texture in the bottom flower but you have to look closely due to the poor photo quality. I scraped in some very fine light into the grasses. I probaby could have gone over them with a yellow/yellowish green for more highlights. I wanted to use as few colors as I could to make it more harmonious. Maybe I could have grayed the grasses a bit. I wasn't sure whether it was cool to have the weave of the canvas showing. That is, do people usually plaster the acrylic on a bit thicker? Or, is up to the artist? Thanks for looking and for the advice.