PDA

View Full Version : Phthalo Blue (Red Shade)?

JamesDFarrow
07-10-2007, 01:44 PM
O.K. I have seen a lot of references here in using Phthalo Blue (Green Shade) but not on the Red Shade. (searched but "red" doesn't work in the search function so to many results to read through come up).

Anyway, what would you use the Red Shade for in mixing?

Thanks,

James :)

Charlie's Mum
07-10-2007, 06:02 PM
James, I'd suggest you just try mixing it with other colours and see if you like the results - that should tell you why/what/where!

Being warm, ie on the red side of the colour wheel, mix it with other warm colours :D

JamesDFarrow
07-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks!

I found more info searching this site with google. This is not a criticism but the search function here is not very good.

With Google I use (in the search box) site:www.wetcanvas.com and then your search word(s), or words in phases (in " ") and you can eliminate a lot of the junk that you don't want/need. And you can use 3 letter words as well.

Anyway, I think this is a colour I can skip. More money to spend on another colour. LOL!

Paulafv
07-10-2007, 09:44 PM
If you have a color question, reference www.handprint.com. It has all the info you need. After a half dozen looks, you'll catch on and use it all the time. It doesn't matter whether you are painting in pastels, watercolor, acrylics or oils, etc. Color is color.

idylbrush
07-10-2007, 10:36 PM
I use the RS quite a bit and find it perfectly acceptable.

Have you considered buying small 1 ounce bottles of thalo BS instead of the large tubes. Golden makes them in a liquid form. It is a very strong color so go forward gently, it tends to be a powerful pigment.

JamesDFarrow
07-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks!

Great Link! Lots to read. A bit overwhelming for a noob but very helpful none the less.

Will look into those Golden bottles also.