PDA

View Full Version : Baby Oil as medium?

Debbie53
07-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Has anybody heard of using baby oil as a medium for oils? Tell me why you like it or don't? Debbie in Ohio

MarkMark
07-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Im sure thishas come up before in some guise. I have never heard of using it and feel sure it would not be a good idea

JamieWG
07-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Do not use any non-drying oil in your paint! Baby oil is mineral oil, which doesn't dry. If you get even the smallest amount into your paint, it won't dry. I use it to clean my hands; it's great for getting off the oil paint and good for your skin. But I don't even use it to clean my brushes. If even a little migrates to the paint, that would be bad news. Those who clean their brushes with baby/mineral oil need to be sure that they are thoroughly washed with soap and warm water to remove all of the oil. Using it as a painting medium would not work.

Jamie

donn_granros
07-10-2007, 11:31 AM
What would be the point in using Baby oil when there is are whole array of mediums actually designed for oils?

I don't know what would happen but I would personally not prefer to experiment.

stapeliad
07-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Baby oil = bad idea.

The reason certain oils are used for painting is that they dry. Others do not.

So baby oil, olive oil, canola oil etc shouldn't be mixed with your paints.

Plus, linseed oil smells better!
:)

Katortott
07-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Anything that hasn't already been established as an artist's medium probably (I would probably say, always) has a reason for not being so. With that said, why would you want to risk not using something made specifically for art? Like others have said, it doesn't dry for starters and even if you could somehow get it to dry, who is to say it has any sort of archival quality and wouldn't flat out ruin your painting in a few years?

Debbie53
07-10-2007, 01:48 PM
ok ok I get it! :thumbsup: Thanks y'all :wave: Debbie