PDA

View Full Version : July 2007 - Monthly Gouache/ Casein/Tempera sketch

maggie latham
07-09-2007, 06:38 PM
:wave:
Hello everyone,
I am really busy at the moment with several pastel paintings I am working on, so wonít be able to post any new work for a while. If the moderators want to take over the weekly sketch thread that would be great. Maybe we donít have enough people to input? I will help again in a couple of months if you would kike me to.
Maggie

meglyman
07-10-2007, 09:38 PM
I know everyone is busy, but I sure hope this idea doesn't sputter out.

Here's my work for today, about 20 minutes. I had sketched, laid out the composition, and done a value study before-hand. I traced the sketch onto some Gessobord, then laid in the darks.

So, the darks are blue, the mid-tones and lights are white. This is just to help me keep my bearings as I start painting, since the pencil lines are so light.

All critiques welcome! With just two tones, does this "outline" make any sense? Any composition suggestions? Can you tell what it's going to be?

Meg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2007/89276-socctopus1.jpg

Seleeni
07-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi Meg,

Interesting. Is this one of your squids? It will be interesting to see it as a WIP.

I hope we can keep doing the weekly sketch. I'll try one in the next few days, though working several hours a day on my dog portrait.

Selene

Old Tex
07-12-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm stumped. But then, I have no imagination.

pinkrybns
07-13-2007, 04:31 AM
Hi ya everyone. I'm back from my holidays.

Question/suggestion for you all:
What if these sketching project threads become a Monthly thread instead of a weekly? Would that be more conducive to participating?
And ... anyone (not me) can start them!!!
(Please, don't think that I will be starting them. I'll "sticky" them, but not start them).

Let me know what you want.

cheers,
Judy

P.S. Meg, it looks like either a squid or an octopus. I think it could use some more vlaues (more than 2) if you're going to stick to just one color in your final version. It also looks like this new octopus on the sand cake pan I saw recently!! I'm not kidding either, there is a cake pan like this.

JamieWG
07-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Hmmm.....A monthly sketches thread might even get me pulling out my gouache box again! :D

Hi Judy! :wave:

Jamie

pinkrybns
07-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Hmmm.....A monthly sketches thread might even get me pulling out my gouache box again! :D

Hi Judy! :wave:

Jamie heh heh :D
:wave: Hi Jamie!

meglyman
07-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Monthly sounds good to me, too.

Selene, you're right, it is another cephalopod. I'll try to remember to take photos as I go and make a WIP.

Judy, this was just a very quick value study; the painting will be full-color and with many values. Just trying to pay more attention to values in the preliminary stages. And I'd love to see that cake pan!

Here's my real sketch for this week (or month). It was 60 minutes. I'm not too happy with it, but I made myself stop when the time was up. C&C welcome.

Meg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2007/89276-meglyman_winebottle_sm.jpg

pinkrybns
07-15-2007, 05:43 AM
Monthly sounds good to me, too.

Ok, I've changed the title of this thread to reflect it being a Monthly thread/project now.

I'll make this thread a Sticky too, so anyone can find it.

Who knows, I might even do a sketch or two ... :D

And I'd love to see that cake pan!
Meg, follow this link to Williams-Sonoma online. It's a cake pan just made for you! :D
Octopus Cake Pan (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku9217829/index.cfm?pkey=cNEWCKGI)

:D :)

Seleeni
07-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi.

Meg, the glowing reds looks good, and the brushstrokes. It has drama already. Are you going to work over another layer on this one?

Here's my 1 hour sketch, inspired by the monsoons. It felt good to whip something out after spending 2 weeks on the Tucker portrait. I plan to do more!

Selene

Gouache and watersoluble pencil
4 x 8 1/2"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2007/91995-Lightening.jpg

maggie latham
07-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Hello,
Monthly sounds great to me to!
Maggie

meglyman
07-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Selene, thanks for the comment! I certainly don't feel that this is "finished," but I think I'll leave it as-is. It's my first timed painting, and I'll let it sit for a while so I can absorb everything about it that I could improve.

I don't like the background. Gessobord does not do well with washes. I get lots of bubbles and they take forever to dry.

I love the colors and the format of your sketch! Nice use of mixed media (with the pencil). I like how the lightning on the left mirrors the shape of the tree and reaches out towards it.

Meg