PDA

View Full Version : WEEKLY PASTEL SKETCH THREAD july 9-15th

chewie
07-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Ahhh, another week, so here we go--on yer mark, get set, sketch!

For anyone new to our forums, thread, or just unsure, here's the skinny on what this is all about.....

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists who use soft pastels, hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos. I have personally found it useful to use a kitchen timer. You can even use your cell phone timer!

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, its up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when youre creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!

BeckyMc
07-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Well, I'm cheating as it's this week's WDE and it's 2 hours, not 1 - but it isn't done, so.... I wanted to experiment with using the same uploaded image without re-uploading and it appears to have worked. Everyone may already know how to do this, but I right-clicked on my posted WDE photo and got the properties. I inserted "" on the beginning, without the quotes and "" on the end of my http string (again without the quotes) and it appears to have worked. That way, I don't fill up the WC library with re-uploaded images. Does everyone already know how to do this???

Oil Pastels on brown Canson mi Tientes 10x13, but scanned to 9x12

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2007/45982-LaJolla.jpg

My daughter thinks the wave looks too stiff. I need to go back and look at the reference photo...

AnnieA
07-10-2007, 12:30 AM
It's beautiful Becky! Don't touch it!!! I love the sense of movement and light and depth, and messing with it might mean you start to lose that (at least that's what often happens with my pieces). Very nice!

chewie: Thanks for hosting again! :)

Pat Isaac
07-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Wow, Becky. this is awesome!! Great sense of surf and ocean..leave it alone.

Pat

Pabs
07-10-2007, 11:00 AM
This is great! The sights, sounds and smells of the subject are all portrayed here, in what is a very nice piece of work.
Personally, I think your daughter is wrong, as you have captured it at a very powerful angle, but we are all entitled to our own opinions!
Regards,
Pabs

chewie
07-10-2007, 03:50 PM
yes, not to berate your daughter, but I love what you did with that wave!

and i'm honored you'd all have me as host!:)

lacey sprocket
07-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow, it's been quiet in here! Lovely wave, Becky! Lots of power.

I haven't had time to sketch except for what I've done for the hunt (I'm hosting this week! http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431495 ), but here's the igloo that has absorbed all of my time. It'll be done on Friday, so maybe I'll fit some drawing in at the end of the week.

Snowbound
07-11-2007, 01:51 PM
eh... That's what I love about this place, those unusual things you find out about people. Virtual scavenger hunts... igloos... Makes me feel at home.

What's the igloo for???

I've been doing watercolors & ink sketches this week, because the daily thunderstorms have made me too jumpy to do pastels. But I'll do one of my little things to post later.

Becky, That wave makes me think of how the surf striking the rocks on the Oregon coast seems to suspend time for an instant. I would always find myself holding my breath in suspense after the wave subsided. I bet once you get the background filled in, it won't look stiff at all. I suspect it only seems that way right now because it is kinda standing there on it's own-- nothing for it to flow back into the instant after this one. (I'll be looking for it as you continue to work on it.)

And thanks for the hint about recapturing images already posted!

Dayle Ann

lacey sprocket
07-11-2007, 02:28 PM
The igloo is going to be a snow cone stand (something for animal planet, although I'm not sure what). It's a very posh igloo, it has a back door, a skylight and an air-conditioner!

Pat Isaac
07-11-2007, 05:34 PM
What an awesome igloo...and with all the fixings.
I will not be doing any drawing for awhile as I am searching for new studio space and packing up.
I'll be checking in here though.

Pat

macrobertson
07-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Becky, a really good action pic of the wave
I hadn't considered the 'reloading' thing... but I know now!

Thats some igloo lacey, I presume its being built onsite... once its finished I imagine it would be hard to move... with all that ice!

I haven't had time for a still life this week, but I did try pastels on Colourfix Primer at last nights clothed figure group, 40 mins on A2 Paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2007/14751-DSC03631.JPG

Mac

Pat Isaac
07-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Really nice figure study, Mac. You were able to get a lot on paper in 40 min.!!! Nice color and expression.

Pat

chewie
07-11-2007, 08:27 PM
wow mac, that is a super study. love the loose expressive style. how did you like the paper? its one of my fav's, in fact, my top choice actually. do you usually work on a sanded paper?

Yusuke
07-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Hi pastelists,:wave:

A bit late this week... thanks for the compliments on my sketch last week, mrking, Annie, EP, binkie, chewie, Lindsay, Lacey and Pabs,

I'll write some replies to the comments on the previous thread here.

EP,
The paper I used for the coffee filter sketch was Muse Cotton Paper, a Japanese product. It looks so similar to Canson Mi-teintes (to me).

binkie,
Yes, I selected the gray paper for expression of the transparent bag. Hope it worked. A lesson? Well, I'm still painting by trial and error I'm a poor excuse. :p Thank you for the photograph of Egypt. You look so happy! Collage graduation gift sounds nice. What a gift!:eek:

chewie,
I sketch everyday with various media (oil pastels, pencils, inks, charcoals, and oils) and I post only oil pastel sketches here. :)

Lacey,
I liked your coffee shop collabo and "Sans" story. :) Of course the works, too.

Yusuke
07-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Now, for this week..

chewie,
Thank you for hosting the thread this week, too.

Becky,
Powerful wave painting! The texture of the paper surface is very effective.

Lacey,
Amazing. Must be so interesting to build the igloo but time-consuming... Love to see the drawings in it.

Mac,
Wonderful figure study. Modelling, color selection, strokes are all nice. I really like your style.

My latest OP sketch is a piece of baumkuchen. It took 40 minutes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2007/51042-1144.jpg

Pabs
07-12-2007, 06:31 AM
Morning all (well it is here anyway!).
Pat - hope the search for and move to, new premises goes well, and that the pastels are not packed away for too long, just sat gathering dust!
Sorry, couldn't resist that one.
Mac - that's a really nice portrait, plenty of colour, expression and character, and all done in 40 mins! Amazing.
Lacey - what a great igloo, and complete with all those gadgets; is it for THE Animal Panet, and if so, will we see it on TV? As for this "hunt" thread you host, I've had a quick look and it looks like it's a good laugh. Can all the Weekly Sketch Threaders join en mass? You are such a busy girl, how many hours of sleep do you manage to fit in a day???
Yusuke - I have to pleed ignorance and ask what is baumkuchen? Cake, bread, pastry, or not even edible? Don't laugh, I'm only English and have not had my second cup of tea yet (well mug actually; can't be doing with those little cups. If your going to have a drink, then have a good one, that's what I say.)
As for my effort, here's a photo of the work I did yesterday of my old fire helmet. It took 50 mins using W&N softies, this time on my first attempt on Art Spectrum Colourfix Paper, which I simply can only describe as "love at first sight". Ahhhhhhh. It's great compared to all the other stuff I've been using. As a novice I can say it holds the pastel and colour very well, is a lot easier work with and the end results seem to my untrained eye to be much better. I like the background colour of the paper as I think it really sets the subject off. It's A4 size and not fixed as the packaging says it doesn't need it. Does it???
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2007/103619-2007_0712fire0001.JPG
Regards,
Pabs

maggie latham
07-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Everyone,
Becky the wave is fantastic! Could do with an igloo here in the tropics!
Yusuke, love the baumkuchen!
Mac your painting is beautiful. So loose and full of energy. You have inspired me to break out of my seascape mode!
Maggie

Snowbound
07-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Wow, Mac, what a great portrait sketch. That's a keeper for sure. Love the expression, subtle and intriguing.

Pabs, I totally love your helmet! Talk about truly capturing the essence of something. You've caught a lot of stories in that sketch: the skuffs and dings, even the color combo you've chosen, the shadow, wonderful.

Yusuke-- food of course. If I ever am able to go to Japan, please be my guide! You clearly have an eye for food and a love for it, you draw it so well. (I'm also what we call here a "foodie".)

So here's mine. A rhubarb pie I made a few days ago. I took photos to work from because I knew it wouldn't last long enough for me to paint. It didn't. All that's left is the pan. Soft pastels on cream Tiziano, 10x12 cm. Not sure how long, but I started just as Fresh Air (a public radio program here in the states) came on and was done before it ended, so less than an hour.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2007/95699-July12-rhubarbpie-10x12cm.jpg

One thing I found out while doing it yesterday during yet another heavy rain/thunderstorm: I can get a lot more layers of pastel on when the humidity is near 100%!

Dayle Ann

Pabs
07-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Snowbound - ah, ruhbarb pie - not had that in absolutely ages. Love it with lashings of thick, creamy custard. Nice work on your own homemade pastry? I like the partial image and the colours really are of the fruit, even though it's pastry. That's a great scheme.
Thanks for the helmet comments. I have tried to get some history and character into it without going too over the top. Maybe I have, but the chin strap is not the best, I must admit. Still - it's a big improvment over the butterfly - even I can see that!!!!
Regards,
Pabs

Pat Isaac
07-12-2007, 10:30 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: , Paul...no dust, they are oilies...Great rendering of the fire helmet. I love that color of colorfix.
Yusuke, I need to plad ignorance also what is a baumkuchen, aha, I just looked it up and it is a layer cake fit for a king, is that right? Anyway your drawing and modeling of it are superb.
Yum, rhubarb pie....great texture on the crust, dayle Ann and I can almost see the steam coming out of the top.

Pat

lacey sprocket
07-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Mac, that's an amazingly good portrait! Wonderful color of light! If I ever pick up softies, I'd like to draw like that!
The igloo is made of styrofoam, but we've coated it with fiberglass netting for strength, and today we shall start coating it with plaster. It's actually going to be quite heavy, so we're going to cut it into 4 pieces to be reasembled on site! It's going to travel to different places, so it has to be moveable.

Pat, good luck with the move! I hope you get settled back into a cosy spot soon.

Yusuke, you just draw those tasty treats to tempt me, don't you? :lol:

Pabs, yup, "the" animal planet, at least that's what I've been told. I've no idea what they're actually going to do with the thing! I do occasional work for this production company (Method 42 Productions), as they convieniently moved into the building next door to my work at the screenprinting shop! I've gotten to build and paint some pretty off the wall stuff.
Nice color contrast on your helmet! So you were a firefighter?

Dayle Ann, mmmmm! Pie! You and Yusuke both, now? I'm going to go have a cookie!

I got a special treat, my brother came to visit yesterday, and we drew a picture together! The picture is a bit blurry, but I can't take another, since I gave him the drawing (which he plans to give to his new girlfriend, who he couldn't stop talking about :lol:).

Pat Isaac
07-12-2007, 03:07 PM
The picture of contentment, Lacey, and I love those Matisse patterns. all of us are very sad to be leaving our studio spaces, but many of us will be in the same area.

Pat

BeckyMc
07-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Mac - what a beautiful portrait! People are my weakest subject.

Pabs - Great job on the helmet, I like the reflections and the aging or "wear and tear" that you can see in your painting.

Yusuke - Your daily practice is very evident in all of your delightful OP sketches. Too bad we can't sample the baumkuchen...

Dayle Ann - Your rhubarb pie looks yummy - the last time I sample that was one baked by my grammy. I didn't want to try it, because I thought it sounded awful - but it was delicious, maybe similar to cherries...

Lacey - great sketch of your brother, I wish my job was as interesting as yours - building igloos.

Good luck with the studio hunt, Pat and thanks to you for hosting Chewie!

macrobertson
07-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Lots of nice little studies here again... the variety of subjects, styles, types of pastels and the time limit make this a most interesting weekly series, as well as a little prod to keep practicing.
chewie wrote
how did you like the paper? its one of my fav's, in fact, my top choice actually. do you usually work on a sanded paper?
I looked at the A/S paper in the shop, and it had a nice feel to it, but at $5 a sheet I opted for the Burnt Umber Primer for $10! The sheet I prepared had a few streaks and lumps but I thought I'd leave it like that to see how it went.

Acouple of weeks ago I tried a tenatative double portrait (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5800875#post5800875) (the model brought her young daughter to the session) on Canson paper, but this is probably the first full pastel portrait that I've tried. The pastel seemed to cling and hold to the paper surprisingly well, I will be trying some more of these to see if I can get the hang of it.

Mac

mrking
07-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Some very nice sketches here... I have been slacking so I am going to get a sketch out tonight and post it later....

mrking
07-13-2007, 12:56 AM
OK, here is the one I did tonight. Apple still life. Spend under an hour on it. Meh.

Image is a little dark as the sun was setting and I didn't want to use a flash.

I really like the shape of the apple and is spots I think I really captured the texture. The background needs some work though. Looks too freehand to me.

Would like to hear CC on this one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2007/108995-DSC02759small.jpg

Pabs
07-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Hi all - thanks for the kind comments on my fireman's helmet.
Lacey - Yup, I was, for 18 years. The helmet is so special to me as not many managed to walk away with their actual, own helmet (they are all supposed to be handed back in), but at the time of my retirement a senior officer who I knew "lost" it for me!
Mrking - I really like the apple, the shape colours etc are all very realistic. As for the background, it's something I personally like, as I find it complements the piece without dominating it. Just sort of adding to the overall effect.
I suppose you could use the helmet as my example; it would have been so easy to add maybe an axe or some other piece of equipment or clothing, but the focus is the helmet, and that's where your attention stays. The background colour is important though, and as I'd previously said this colour for me really sets it all off.
Gosh, Friday already - I'd better start planning what to do for next week!!
Regards,
Pabs

Snowbound
07-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Mike, I keep having to remind myself that this is a sketch thread-- things aren't supposed to be perfect, or finished, or even necessarily good. Quick and exploratory are the key words I'm trying to keep in mind. My ego gets in the way sometimes, and other times my tendency to want to be "perfect".

That's why most of what I post here is tiny and fairly uncomplicated-- keeps me from getting too caught up in what I'd like to be a way to explore and develop the habit of just sketching without worrying about a final product. But I still need to loosen up and let myself play and range further afield. I'm working on it.

In other words, your apple sketch is perfect as is. The important thing-- what did you learn from it? It would be fun to see what you'd do with a couple more quick renditions using different colors or maybe different styles, just to see what would happen.

Dayle Ann, who needs to follow her own advise.

Pat Isaac
07-13-2007, 09:34 AM
This is a wonderful apple in it's color and shape. I also like the complementary background. The white highlight on the right near the bottom of the apple could be toned doen a little, perhaps reflecting the table top.

Pat

lumpy
07-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Hello Everyone!
What amazing work! Becky I could almost feel your wave knocking the wind out of me (like the real thing!)... Mac your portrait was absolutely beautiful... Mrking that is one mighty fine apple... Lacey your igloo and your paintings are truly fun!...Yusuke I don't know what a baumkuchen is, but yours looks great! ...All of your work has inspired me to get back to the drawing board, although it may be a while before I post my work. I am feeling a bit intimidated (and lacking a digital camera). Thanks!

lacey sprocket
07-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks all, for the comments on my drawing with Jeff. It's funny we had never colaborated on an op drawing before! He's very artistic, and writes music and poetry (he has a new girlfriend right now and is feeling VERY inspired)!

Mike, I love the colors and texture of the apple, and the background color is a great use of complimentary color! Did you have 2 light sources? There's a double shadow. Looks like the table top and background were put in pretty quickly, maybe a few more layers to cover the paper would do it. You gave the apple a lot of attention, but maybe got a little bored with the background? I agree with pat about that lower right highlight, it would pick up the color of the table a bit. Usually you want the higher highlight to be brighter than the lower ones. You said "meh."! That's funny, I say that, too. From a Simpsons episode.

Pabs, that's such a sweet story! It's all about the people you meet in life!

Lumpy, welcome! :wave: We'll be anxiously awaiting your work! I'm so glad you're feeling inspired! And BTW, there's no reason to be nervous, this is a very supportive community, you will be nurtured here!

lacey sprocket
07-13-2007, 07:42 PM
I did this drawing for the scavenger hunt (and yes, you are are so welcome to join in), and I liked it, so I'm trying the reposting trick becky shared. This one's for you, Yusuke! A tasty snack!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2007/107297-strawberrylo.jpg

Becky, I didn't get it quite right. I just got a link to the picture, not the actual picture. Can you help?

AnnieA
07-13-2007, 09:55 PM
I've been AWOL for most of the week - and I missed a lot! Terrific sketches, everyone!

Becky: what did you decide about the wave painting? Did you change it or keep it the same?

Lacey: Wow! That's a full-size igloo you were talking about! It must be a lot of fun to work on something like that! I hope you'll show us another photo when it's done. (An igloo with an air conditioner! :lol:) I love the sketch of your brother - it looks like he must be dreaming of his new girlfriend. :) I love the sketch of the strawberry too (you've been busy!). It looks just luscious. I like the shadow.

Mac: that's a gorgeous portrait. I love the color. You're a natural with pastels! I can't believe you did that much in only 40 minutes! Colorfix is really nice to work on...I've found the lumps and brush streaks can make for some interesting effects in my OPs.

Yusuke: Love the bamkuchen! What is it like? Looks yummy. :) I know you've said before what OPs you use, but I don't recall...what brand(s) do you use for these sketches?

Pabs: I really like what you've done with the fire hat. It does have a nice, weathered look to it. Congrats on finding a surface you like so much (Colorfix). :) How nice for the officer to "lose" your helmet for you. ;)

Dayle Ann: I love the perspective you chose for your rhubarb pie (I love rhubarb pie too. :D). Nice job - the crust has a nice glazed look to it.

Pat: I read about your decision about a studio in the OP Forum. I bet it's a relief to know where you're going to be. I wish you an easy move!

Mike: The apple sketch is terrific! You've done some beautiful subtle color and the reflection is just right. The white highlight at the lower right is a little overdone, it seems to me. You might want to consider adding a very subtle reflection of the red of the apple in the table. You seem to be growing in leaps and bounds. Nice choice of the greens for the table and bg. Well done!

I still haven't done my sketch for the week - I'm going to have to do it tonight...

lacey sprocket
07-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Lara came over for a bit, so we drew a picture together. It's so nice having a day off!:)

BeckyMc
07-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Annie - I haven't touched the wave painting yet - I'll probably just add the people, the railing and the seals. Maybe - If I don't like them I'll just scrape it off. I'll be out of town this weekend, so I won't even look at it for another week - my day job is way too hectic right now.... :mad:

Lacey - Yummy strawberry - Neat sketch of Lara!- here's my try at your photo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2007/107297-strawberrylo.jpg

I got the link the first time I tried too. On the second image symbol, you need a slash before the IMG, i.e: painting properties

I think I need to get a life - can you tell I'm a bored database administrator... :o

prestonsega
07-14-2007, 01:20 AM
Sorry to not be around much....I still say *&^%&*& when I bang my finger....also life has been with me a bit too much..

There has been so many great works in this thread this week ...so m any in fact that my slow typing won't allow me to comment.....but everyone seems to be growing artistically.

I wanted to paint tonight but not get into a big undertaking,,(lazy), so I went outside and plucked a branch from the grapevine. This is painted on a salvaged scrap of Wallis,,,approx. 4" x 8".......15 minutes

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2007/29946-july_quickie.jpg

Pat Isaac
07-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Nice use of the compements on these leaves and background. I like the way the light hits the edges.
Wow, what wonderful plump strawberries Becky and Lacey. Also like your new collaboration with Lara. A nice pensive gesture.
Yes, studio is set, and now for the move.

Pat

mrking
07-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks everyone. It is amazing how much a painting changes after you let it set for a day or two. :) Not going top make any changes but I appreciate all the comments. After leaving the painting the bottom right highlight does stand out too much after coming back to it. And yes, I spent very little time on the background compared to the apple so I can't expect miracles can I. :D

That strawberriy looks delicious I have to say.

The grape vine colours compliment each other very well. Never thought of just picking something out of the garden to just paint it.

I did these two crab apples last night from a RIL ref photo. This time I started with the background then worked into the apples. This way I forced myself to spend a little more time on the background area as well. However, this sketch needs more time to develop than just the 30 or 40 minutes I put into it.The colours are off as it was getting dark out when I took the pict.

Oh, I had a real problem with this canson paper. I am starting to learn that it sucks for a lot of layers of pastel. Had to spray fixative a few times just to get the background I wanted.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2007/108995-DSC02768small.jpg

Pabs
07-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Lacey Sprocket, day off? Don't believe you!!!!!!!!!!
Nice strawberry though, and an even nicer joint portrait. Great as ever.
Preston - nice mini vine, with really good colours.
Regards,
Pabs

prestonsega
07-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Oh, I had a real problem with this canson paper. I am starting to learn that it sucks for a lot of layers of pastel. Had to spray fixative a few times just to get the background I wanted.

mrking....do yourself a favor,,,,,,use Wallis or Colorspectrum....Wallis may seem pricey compared to Canson....but it is so much more user friendly...

Pat Isaac
07-14-2007, 08:08 PM
My first OPs were done on Canson and I had a really hard time...wouldn't take layers and the oil soaked through....:eek: Wallis and Colorfix are great for both softies and oilies.

Pat

mrking
07-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I have requested a sample from Kitty and am looking forward to trying it.

I have given up on canson now, unless it is just for charcoal sketches. I don't know how some of the masters did it on canson. :)

I have a couple sheets of sabertooth that I am trying out. Although it is a sanded surface I am finding it consists of small ridges and valleys, much like an orange peel surface. Hard to explain.

I also am using my home made sanded paper that I brushed with pumice and gesso. Now that holds a ton of pastels! :D

Anyway, that is enough rambling on.

Thanks for the advice prestonseqa.

Mike

lacey sprocket
07-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Preston, I love the mood you've conveyed with the colors you selected for your vine.

Mike, so that's a crabapple! I'm trying to figure out the paper thing myself. I tend to like a smoother surface than most, since I do fairly quick work with less blending and layering. I strive for simplification, lately. But my concern has been making work that will last, and I've found that means gessoing the paper to protect it from oils. My question to anyone who may know is, are the coated colorfix or wallis papers ready to draw on, or should they still be gessoed first? Are there any nice papers that are already protected? Or is it better to just do it yourself? I want to make archival work, and I'd like to do it as cheeply as posible (ha! good luck). Or course, I like the idea of working on a stiff board, but I do so many drawings that I think that may not prove affordable(especially since I'd still need to frame them). Man, I sure am rambling! Sorry!

Snowbound
07-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Preston, I really like how you handled the light on the grape leaves-- wow, in only 15 minutes, too. Lovely. Lacey, gorgeous strawberry. Red red. Wish I had time to comment on everybody's stuff. This is always the first thread I check.

I haven't spent much time on the puter this week. We finally had a day with no thunderstorms, and am catching up, but too much to do outside. Guess I can't complain, compared to what folks in other places are going through, though. This is a minor inconvenience in comparison. Catching up on yard work.

Late this afternoon, I decided to sketch out a little self-portrait to try out some things. Pretty loose and quick, lots of imperfections but fun to do. I used four pastel sticks based on colors in the photo, and some analogous colors in colored pencil, on a 12 cm square of Tiziano cream. Half an hour?

It's loosely based on a photo taken by a friend of mine. I'm getting ready to do a portrait of her and her husband, so it just seemed fair to test on me. I haven't done a sp in a long time, so it's about time anyway.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2007/95699-July14-selfportrait-11x11cm-wc.jpg

Dayle Ann

chewie
07-15-2007, 12:37 AM
wow, i'm not sure if i could ever catch up! so much going on in our little sketch thread, that is soooo great!

love that so many are trying portraits, those aren't for the whimpy!

lots of fruit, guess you can almost tell what time of year it is!

as for the paper, i believe you could use op on colorfix as-is. the coating is an acrylic primer.

i wish i could comment more, but this weekend is rodeo time here, and we're busy with that. i'll try to post some pix in the scumble this next week, but i also have federal jury duty starting monday, so i may be sparse. please bear with me, and keep sketching!

lacey sprocket
07-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Dayle Ann, I like your expression! Good modeling of the cheeks.

kumagoro_beam
07-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am new to wetcanvas, and just started oil pastel. The nice people in the oil pastel section pointed me to this thread.

This is my last-minute entry for this week. 20 minutes, and they're supposed to be Twizzlers. I made a longer version after this, but neither version turned out to be good. (I cross-posted this in my studies thread as well, I hope that's ok).

Pat Isaac
07-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Lacey, you do not need to gesso Wallis or Colorfix. They are already coated and are a wonderful surface for OPs.
Dayle Ann, nice self portrait and nice peachy colors.
Good to see you over here kumagoto, and I like your twizzlers, nice color and modeling. A good candy treat..

Pat

chewie
07-15-2007, 07:30 PM
ok ppl, here i am, trying to hold off on eating so much sugar, and you all are not helping! all those lucious paintings of sweets! nice twizzlers, and when i first looked i hoped that is what it was cuz that is what that looks like, good one! and welcome!

binkie
07-15-2007, 08:19 PM
This has been a wild week for me but just had to stop by and check out everyone's work. The sketches are really fabulous this week! I hope things will settle down a bit next week so I can get back to the dust.

binkie

AnnieA
07-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Lacey: I love the portrait you did with Lara. She has such a pensive look. You really know how to boil down everything to the most basic elements when you do portraits - hard to do and and it works very well for you.

Becky: If it was me I wouldn't touch your wave painting! But it's your vision of what it needs to be that matters... I hope you'll get a chance to paint, despite your hectic job.

Preston: I just love your sketch of the grape leaves. The backlighting is wonderful and your color selection is too. So nice and loose - looks terrific!

Mike: Good job on the crabapples. They look nice and round, and the values are good. It almost looks like the whole thing has a blue cast. Is that really in the painting or is it a photo issue? The BG and the table look good and the shadows are well done too. I agree with Preston about the Canson - it's just not worth the effort to struggle against it.

Dayle Ann: Very nice start on the self portrait. Amazing that you only used 4 colors, and even more amazing that you work so quickly. It looks like you have good portrait skills so I'm sure your friend's portrait is going to turn out great.

Welcome to the Sketch Thread, kumagoro! :wave: It looks like you've got a good start with your twizzlers. I'd recommend trying to add another layer of color or two, if you can. Paintings often go through a stage where they don't look too good, and often the trick is simply to keep going until it looks better. :)

Here's mine for the week. This is a copy of part of a John Singer Sargent painting, A Portrait of Edith French. I fell in love with it when I first joined WC and saw it in a "Master of the Month" thread in the Oil Painting Forum, and have wanted to try painting a copy of it since then. I gave it a try earlier in the week but after working on my piece for 2 days, finally got so frustrated that I scrubbed the board all down. I had started way to small and on a surface that just wasn't working for the OP. Soooo, for the sketch thread, I had intended to do just one eye at a larger scale, but got carried away and did more, although this still needs a lot of work before I could call it done.

First, here's Singer's original:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/85002-Portrait_of_Edith_French_ORIG_Full.jpg

And a detail of the original:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/85002-Portrait_of_Edith_French_ORIG_TIGHT_CROP.jpg

And here's what I did:
Sketch #34
Copy of a detail from A Portrait of Edith French
about 4x6
OP on Colorfix coated card
about 1 hour 15 minutes
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/85002-Portrait_of_Edith_French_Copy__DSCN4978_REV.jpg

Please keep in mind that I haven't done many portraits, and the color selection of OPs that I have didn't lend itself as well as I would have liked to making a copy of the Singer portrait. I just don't have the right very pale peachy tone for the skin, for instance, so I'm having to do a lot of blending, and even still am unlikely to be able to produce the same color. Singer used a lot of subtle color shifts in this piece.

I would prefer not to get any crits on this, as it's far from done. Comments are fine though. I just stopped at an hour and fifteen minutes to try to keep to the Sketch thread time limit as much as possible. I'm still working things back and forth as far as color and the shape of the features is concerned. I enjoyed painting this, especially after failing so miserably in my first attempt! :lol:

Pabs
07-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Hey AnnieA, I'm not familiar with the original work, so can't comment on that, but yours I think is very good indeed. She has a wonderful "days gone bye" expression to her, and as regulars already know, I'm a big fan of a plain looking background, so that gets my vote too.
Don't get too discouraged about your limited palette, you're doing very well with what you've got.
Regards
Pabs

lacey sprocket
07-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Kumagorobean, nice to see you here!

Annie A, I think you're off to a great start. The drawing looks very accurate, and the colors are heading in the right direction, too. Great work!

Yusuke
07-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the comments on my work, Pabs, Maggie, Dayle Ann, Pat, Lacey, Becky, lumpy and Annie,

Surprised to know that baumkuchen is not very popular.:eek: I thought it was known everywhere... Baumkuchen is German cake and it is very popular here in Japan. Please read the info at Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baumkuchen

Pabs,
You've chosen nice colors on the helmet sketch. Really pops up.

Dayle Ann,
Yes, of course. I'm delighted to be a guide. :)
Your pie closeup is interesting. I couldn't tell what it was at the first look, but once I read your explanation, it became exactly the pie texture. Great.
Your self portrait is also nice. Nice expression.

Lacey,
Nice happy brother portrait. He seems like he's thinking of his girlfriend. :)
Thank you for the tasty snack for me. :D I like seeing your non-figure skeches (of course your figures, too!). You have a good eye on values.

mrking,
I like the color selection of the apple sketch. Of course the modelling and shines of the apple. I'm not familiar with crab apples but I see they really exist in front of your eyes. Background tones are also nice.

lumpy,
Welcome! Hope I can see your works soon!

Annie,
OPs I use are the mixture of various brands but I use mainly Sennelier and Holbein lately. In addition to these soft oil pastels, I use Caran d'Ache Neopastels and Sakura Cray-Pas specialists.
Nice try of the reproduction. Must be so hard.. As for the colors, it seems like adding yellowish layer may help. And I thought putting blacks on the darkest parts like the eyes, left side of the nose. These are just what I thought. I also like John Singer Sargent.

Preston,
Nice grapevine branch. I like your loose style.

Kumagoro_beam,
Welcome to WC! I don't know what the twizzlers are but they look like Churros, Spanish sweets. The shapes are okay. Hope to see your next step.

I'll post mine on the next thread. See you there!:wave:

AnnieA
07-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Pabs, Lacey and Yusuke: Thanks for your comments and encouragement. :) I worked more on the painting today, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I posted the finished work in the OP Forum, here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5855288#post5855288
(I don't want to post it here because I went way over the time limit.)