PDA

View Full Version : Leather, Metal and Wood finished!

Roger Evans
07-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Okay, the WIP for this can be found here;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429472

This was fun and a good study in shadows, textures and reflections. I hadn't picked up a brush since November so I needed the exercise.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2007/89662-gun_small_final.jpg

A larger version can be found here:

http://www.rogerevans.tv/leather_big.html

Hope you'all like it..... :)

Roger

idcrisis55
07-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Marvelous finish! I didn't see any flabby brushwork here so the exercise paid off. :D :lol: :D

clementine
07-08-2007, 03:40 PM
it's really not what I would want to paint but you have done a wonderful work with this subject!bravo!
clem

N.Wiley
07-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Hope you'all like it..... :)

Roger

Like it? Ha!!! It is fabulous, incredible. :thumbsup: :clap:

Paulafv
07-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Excellent job. I can almost smell the oil and leather. Grew up around guns, so it's nice to see a beautiful painting of one. Your dry brush method of painting sounds so logical to me, I think I'll have to try it. Thank you very much for a great WIP and answering all those questions so patiently. Nice of you.

Paula

fayre
07-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Absolutely brilliant Roger! Thank you also for your time with the WIP

Faye

lilbelle
07-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Roger, this is absolutely wonderful!! The metal looks like metal, the leather excellently tooled and the wood wonderfully weathered! Well done!!

Roger Evans
07-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks, all! The handle was realllly problematic because it has a varnish, which creates a layer above the wood grain. It's like painting rocks under water. Tricky to make the translucent laywer above it register without reflections just looking like white paint on the wood. The gun barrel is always tricky because it's a damned straight line. eek! My next painting will have no varnish and no straight lines....

Roger

MaryM.
07-08-2007, 04:50 PM
It's stupendous. I can't believe what you can do with paint. I showed it to my husband and he kept insisting it was a photograph.

Charlie's Mum
07-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Beautifully painted Roger - the sense of late afternoon/early evening light is magical!
I'm not used to seeing guns -except in films - but this is very evocative of (to me) Western Films .... Roy Rogers and all the other Western stars of my childhood! :lol: :lol:

howyadoin
07-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks, all! The handle was realllly problematic because it has a varnish, which creates a layer above the wood grain. It's like painting rocks under water. Tricky to make the translucent laywer above it register without reflections just looking like white paint on the wood.Well, you definitely pulled it off. The wear on the surface is very convincing.

SunsetSue
07-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Absolutely incredible!! What a stunning finish! Extremely well done!

Lady Carol
07-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Stunning work, Roger.

1100ww
07-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Awesome.

C_Line
07-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Truly impressive. My favorite part is the handle of the gun...the dents in the wood are unbelievable.

Roger Evans
07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks again, all. I have a question, though. On all my PCs (which are calibrated) the gun barrel has the distinctive gun-metal blue tone that you would expect. However, a friend of mine in California uses a Mac and he says he sees no blue tones of any kind in the gun barrel and that it all looks dark and brownish. What do you guys see?

Roger

C_Line
07-08-2007, 06:45 PM
I see blue tones..(PC)

idcrisis55
07-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm on a PC and see blue tones.

Li'l Brown
07-08-2007, 08:00 PM
What an eye for detail and what an ability you have to render it in paint! Bravo!

EDIT: I see blue tones too... not strong but they are there.

Café LoLa
07-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Mac here - I see brown tones where they are reflected, such as where the metal part meets the wood or leather, but I see very very faint blue tones as well. What I actually see is a clear, gunmetal grey colour all round, which I think is what you wanted! :)

laudesan
07-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Magnificent finish..:clap: I love the pistol stock the best it is awesome!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

edtree
07-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Great finish, Roger, as I knew it would be! I spent quite some time studying the large version. Man this is good.. I'm not even going to try and pick a favorite part. From the leather down to the stitches on the leather, to the shine on row the bullets and the perfect two standing alone, to the cool, sleek, look of the gun barrel, to the handle and those magnificent details, right down to the woodgrain on the background....it all adds up to a great big WOW! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:wave: Thanks for having us along for your journey on this!

Elizabeth

Roger Evans
07-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Okay, I found out that Macs have a color management system that PCs don't have. Apparently looking at images on a PC is like watching television. You just adjust the monitor to make the colors look normal. But Mac, in their infinite wisdom, put a system in place that "interprets" incoming image data from JPEGs, etc, and then alters that information prior to display based on preferences in the color management system. If the color management system isn't set up, then the colors can look off.

Great finish, Roger, as I knew it would be!
Thanks!

I spent quite some time studying the large version. Man this is good.. I'm not even going to try and pick a favorite part....
Here are some mega-close ups. I really wish more people here would post extreme close ups of their paintings like this. I like looking at the brushwork. That always tells me a lot about how things are painted.

http://www.rogerevans.tv/gun_closeup_1.jpg

http://www.rogerevans.tv/gun_closeup_2.jpg

http://www.rogerevans.tv/gun_closeup_3.jpg

Enjoy!

Roger

Margaret 59
07-08-2007, 11:13 PM
How did I miss this finished?
Roger, from the wood grain on the table and background, the metal on the gun and bullets, the scratches and dents on the gun handle, the tooling and stitching on the belt, the holster and the overall light and shadows....I'm just blown away...sorry for the accidental pun.
Can't wait to show my husband when he gets home from work!

Mz_Sketch_Pad
07-08-2007, 11:26 PM
this is beyond unbelievable- SPECTACULAR!

swampborn
07-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Wow! Wow! Wow!
Gail

txrembrandt
07-09-2007, 01:27 AM
What happened to all the great photos of your work? Can you post the finished painting one more time......I missed it! Great work!

darlingart
07-09-2007, 05:50 AM
This is an awe inspiring piece, well done! And thankyou for the extreme close-ups - I fro one really appreciate them:)

Michelle

pix
07-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Awesome. This is unbelievable painting and inspiring.

pix
07-09-2007, 06:57 AM
your wip is so informative and educative that i learn so many things, cant thank u enough. and it is so kind of u to share your knowledge.

txrembrandt
07-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks for posting that. It's a super job on the Remington Outlaw, 1875. I use to have a pair of those and used them robbing the stage in Jackson Hole, Wy and robbing the train here in Palestine, Tx. Sold them and bought Rugar Vaqueros. Wish I still had the Remmys.

gaykir
07-09-2007, 08:25 AM
You're always so good I just want to cry!

misterC
07-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Fantastic and very inspirational!

Thanks,
Andy

Galloping Carrot
07-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Very, very impressive Roger! :)

Roger Evans
07-09-2007, 09:26 AM
What happened to all the great photos of your work? Can you post the finished painting one more time......I missed it! Great work!

Thanks! You can see my very small gallery of 6 paintings here:

http://www.rogerevans.tv/gallery.html

roger

Phantelope
07-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Stunning, as everything I've seen from you! I would love to see these in person! I'm a big western fan since I was a kid, so all these images really are wonderful to see. I could never paint like this, even if I could learn the technique, I doubt I'd have the required patience! (though I probably should try sometime..)

Loved the wip and the piece looks fantastic! Have you shown it to your friend who gave you the gun?

I'm already looking forward to the next one, hopefully your schedule will allow you to paint more often now!

rickjf
07-09-2007, 11:06 PM
I really like your remington. I recently tried a Colt cap and Ball and really appreciate what you have done here.

howyadoin
07-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks again, all. I have a question, though. On all my PCs (which are calibrated) the gun barrel has the distinctive gun-metal blue tone that you would expect. However, a friend of mine in California uses a Mac and he says he sees no blue tones of any kind in the gun barrel and that it all looks dark and brownish. What do you guys see?I'm on a 20-inch iMac. I see blues, greys and browns (depending on where I'm looking, obviously). Could your friend possible have some blue-green deficiency in his vision? (Not a joke; it's pretty common in men.) It could also be a monitor problem - I had a Sony Trinitron on my old G4, and after 5 years the colour faded a bit as the phosphors burned out.

Okay, I found out that Macs have a color management system that PCs don't have. Apparently looking at images on a PC is like watching television. You just adjust the monitor to make the colors look normal.You can do the same on any Mac.

But Mac, in their infinite wisdom, put a system in place that "interprets" incoming image data from JPEGs, etc, and then alters that information prior to display based on preferences in the color management system. If the color management system isn't set up, then the colors can look off.Hey, it's a system that works. I've been using Macs to colour-correct and retouch photos for 15 years, and I've yet to have a problem. Out of the box, most of the Macs I've used have been almost dead-on accurate to a 4-colour press. Mine also matches prints from Epson inkjet printers without any adjustment.

Roger Evans
07-10-2007, 01:23 AM
You can do the same on any Mac.

Of course. I just meant that, on a PC, adjusting the monitor is the primary mechanism for changing how you see the incoming internet imagery. Macs also have a monitor adjustment but employ a color management system that interprets the image data before it gets to the monitor for display. At this point, I'm just going to send my friend some prints of my paintings! :)

Roger

howyadoin
07-10-2007, 01:25 AM
At this point, I'm just going to send my friend some prints of my paintings! :)Hah. I shoulda said I can't see the blues, either.

CreativeHal
07-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Hiya Roger,

You're the man. Very impressive work and your craftsmanship is excellent. Frame it, hang it and sell prints.

Hal

hoofty
07-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Beautiful work. I thought at first it was the referance photo. Wow.. :)

Keven_Miller
07-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Your work is absoloutely fantastic! Drool, drool, drool.

Could you tell me what brands and particular colors you used for the bullets and the metal on the gun?

Thanks for sharing again!!

Roger Evans
07-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks, all. I thought this thread had reached the end of its life expectancy!

Your work is absoloutely fantastic! Drool, drool, drool.
Fortunately, these paints are not water soluable after they dry. :)

Could you tell me what brands and particular colors you used for the bullets and the metal on the gun?
There are only 6 tubes of Liquitex Heavy Body in this painting: Ivory Black and Titanium White for the shadows and highlights and a mix of the two for priming the canvas in grey. Burnt Sienna for my base on the wood and leather. Cerulean Blue for the gun, Yellow Oxide for the wood and bullets. Red Oxide for tarnishing. A mix of Red and Yellow Oxide for the finishing on the leather and grain on the wood.

Thanks for sharing again!!
My pleasure!

Roger

WILT
07-12-2007, 02:50 PM
What can one say? I,m lost for adjectives!

WILT

Tiasa
07-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Nothing like being late to the party! I just saw this! Unbelievable! You are so good at this! :clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks for another great WIP!:thumbsup:

I have to ask about your reference photo. Since the finished picture is 24 x 36 and you welded several shots together for the reference photo . . . What size is your final reference photo--and--how did you print it? (I find I like larger reference photos, but getting them printed costs $$$.)

On my old PC with no color management the overall tone of the final gun barrell is sort of a warm, golden brass color. Looks great--very burnished. I can see some blue tones too, but overall, it looks warm, not blue.

Once again, thanks for a great WIP!

Roger Evans
07-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Nothing like being late to the party! I just saw this! Unbelievable! You are so good at this! :clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks for another great WIP!:thumbsup:

Thanks, again. I am humbled by such praise from so many other fine artists.

I have to ask about your reference photo. Since the finished picture is 24 x 36 and you welded several shots together for the reference photo . . . What size is your final reference photo--and--how did you print it? (I find I like larger reference photos, but getting them printed costs $$$.)

The reference photo would also be 24x36 if we printed it in one piece, which we could do with our big HP printer. It can print up to 24 inches wide by 100 feet long on roll paper. But we print the reference photos in 18x24 inch sections to make handling easier. That way I can hang a photo of the gun inches away from where I paint, which makes it much easier to reference when painting.

On my old PC with no color management the overall tone of the final gun barrell is sort of a warm, golden brass color. Looks great--very burnished. I can see some blue tones too, but overall, it looks warm, not blue.

Just curious, are you looking a CRT or an LCD flatscreen? I have found that the photo looks correct on virtually everyone using an LCD, whether Mac or PC, but that even a couple of older PCs with CRT displays show it kind of warm.

Once again, thanks for a great WIP!

You're welcome! :)

Roger

Quicktiming
07-12-2007, 03:27 PM
WOW. Amazing. Incredible. (Holds breath, then stutters for a moment) WOW.

Tiasa
07-14-2007, 09:50 AM
But we print the reference photos in 18x24 inch sections to make handling easier. Roger
Interesting idea---printing a ref photo in sections to get detail. I think I am going to give that a try!

Just curious, are you looking a CRT or an LCD flatscreen? I have found that the photo looks correct on virtually everyone using an LCD, whether Mac or PC, but that even a couple of older PCs with CRT displays show it kind of warm.Roger
I was looking at an old CRT at work. I am at home now on my LCD and you are right--the gun barrell looks cooler!

Thanks, Roger! Now to go take a closer look at this. :)

Roger Evans
07-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Interesting idea---printing a ref photo in sections to get detail. I think I am going to give that a try!

It works just great, really. We happen to have an industrial size printer for our printwork but you can also print to the actual size of your canvas easily on 8.5x11 pages if you just break your image into sections. Just create one large photoshop image at the size of your actual canvas. Then break that up into 8.5x11 inch sections without changing the size. The smaller sheets are also easier to hold or hang next to your canvas while working.

I was looking at an old CRT at work. I am at home now on my LCD and you are right--the gun barrell looks cooler!

Yeah, I am finding that to be pretty consistant.

Roger