PDA

View Full Version : new to tempera

Shadia
07-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Hi,

It's my first post in this forum, as I'm planning to give a try to tempera. I read many interesting comments before asking this question. I understand that tempera should be used over traditionnal gesso, on a solid board, or panel. As I want to practice, would it be ok to apply this gesso (I have some) over already acrylic gesso primed board? As I said, only for practice and see if I like the feel of tempera.

Thanks for any hints!

Shadia :)

Eggy
07-08-2007, 01:56 PM
:wave:
It is so nice to hear that you are thinking of taking up ET.
My ET sketches are done on watercolour boards and the serious work on homemade primed wooden boards.
Would love to hear how you get on.
Good Luck.

Kind regards,
Eggy

studiogarcia
07-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Shadia,

When you mention you already have some traditional gesso, which do you have?

Alex

Shadia
07-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi! Thanks for your comments eggy! I look forward to try it.
Alex, I have a mix from natural pigments. I did not try it yet, but I've heard some good comments about it.
My question is mainly because I have some masonite boards already gessoed with acrylic, and would put the real thing over it, if it's not too weird!
What do you think?

Shadia

studiogarcia
07-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Shadia,

I have never tried it. In my limited knowledge of chemistry, I am not sure that it would produce a good bond. Granted this is a test but why go to all that trouble of mixing the gesso to only lose it if it does not bond correctly.

You could order a small panel from real gesso (www.realgesso.com) for under $3.00 to test it out and then if you like the process you can use your good gesso mixture on a good panel.

Shadia
07-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Yes, maybe that's what I will do. Thanks!

Shadia