PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Valley - Try again to post picture

donsha
05-16-2002, 03:06 AM
Here is a better picture of my river scene in Nelson Valley, South Island of New Zealand. I hope you like it...I found it a real challenge getting the flow of the river right. Of course it always looks best in person....your comments are much appreciated!

mf.sutton
05-16-2002, 04:48 AM
very nice painting Donsha, you have nice movement in the water, and I know what you mean about the photo's it is so hard to represent the actual quality of the original with a digital camera, at least I have big problems with mine, still very good job - Mike:clap:

surreal
05-16-2002, 10:32 AM
donsha,
I like your painting.....
I like the colors you've used and the strong movement of the river! Nice contrast between the river and the land.

surreal

KarenU
05-16-2002, 11:10 AM
Sharon....yup....I agree with all the comments from the other posts, and I also like how you rendered the white water around the rocks!

donsha
05-16-2002, 06:24 PM
Mike
You are so right about digital cameras. We are going to try again this weekend in full daylight and see how they turn out. My husband is getting better and better at playing with his new camera. I actually may try to get him to use his normal camera to take shots as well :))

LDianeJohnson
05-16-2002, 10:33 PM
Dear Sharon,

Welcome to WC! These foreshortened scenes are always a challenge. This is a great start. When you shoot the photos again try to get several views, one far out, one midway in, and one close-in. If you have a telephoto lens this is easier. If you don't have one. Try to physically move in and away to get several shots.

One tip is to view through the camera then look up. Compare the exact scene as you see it to what is in the camera. If the scene is pushed away into the distance through the camera, you know to move in closer to get a more natural view. When you get back home to paint, it will be easier to paint.

Also, watch the angles of the shoreline and rocks in the water. Sometimes these look steeper in angle than they really are. Check to see if your angles should really be a bit flatter. If not, then you're in good shape!

All the Best,
Diane

orchidlover6
05-17-2002, 02:45 PM
yes, good contrasts

Matttscott
05-21-2002, 12:44 PM
Hey, I'll have to remember my kayak next time i'm in New Zealand! Great job, Donsha!

--Matt :cool: