PDA

View Full Version : Need enlightenment about background for illumination

YY?
07-07-2007, 04:25 PM
My calligraphy is limited to writing notes to myself and periodically writing a letter to someone. Letters for me are fairly time sensitive. So something very fancy is out for me. Periodically I like to illuminate the "D" in "Dear." A simple type of thing. Using a tan type of faux parchment. I like to make a rectangle with either Blue or Green fill. Then put the "D" in gold ink. To do the fill I use Watercolor paints.

There is a problem that does come up. The area that gets the watercolor wash kind of gathers or puckers because it is wet where the rest of the paper is dry.

I was hoping someone could advise me as to how to correct the problem or avoid.

Thanks much.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

callibeth
07-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Here are a few ideas:
ZIG markers are a good alternative to watercolor paints. Double-ended ZIG markers are great outlining and filling in. If you wait for the outline to dry, you can fill in without smudging the outline if you're light-handed about it. You can get them at scrapbook stores, and even at Wal-Mart. I like the Writer (bullet tips), Calligraphy (broad-edge tips), & the Brush/Scroll combination.
Water-soluble colored pencils are another alternative. You color in an area with pencils and then go over the area with a brush that's been dipped in water. The paper may still buckle some, but it won't be as much as with watercolor paints, especially if you use only a little bit of water on the brush at a time. Use a water-proof black pen for outlining and then the pencils and water won't smudge it.
Use heavier paper. Even switching from 20# copy paper to 24# copy paper makes a difference. But good quality, heavier weight stationery is usually very good.Regards,

Beth
www.callibeth.com (http://www.callibeth.com)
blogspot.callibeth.com (http://blogspot.callibeth.com)

celticrichard
07-09-2007, 02:27 PM
I know another way.Its slower but will prevent buckling:Iconsists of doing small portions in the colour,no big washes,but delicate small washes,waiting for it to dry, then continuing.

hope it helps

marie_d
07-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Have you tried using gouache paint instead of watercolour. You can mix the colour/tint you want then you can paint it directly onto your parchment without using water, it dries quickly as well. Would just paint the fill in area and leave your letter 'D' area nice and clear for your gold ink. Remember though that gouache is not transparent.
Marie:)