PDA

View Full Version : Help with Triptych

gaykir
07-07-2007, 04:30 PM
I have decided to start another large project (I must be nuts!). It's a Triptych and each canvas is 18" X 36". I've already decided one needs to basically paint all three at the same time. Does anyone have any grand ideas? I have just one easle but I can easily hammer 3 nails on the wall and hang them side by side. If any of you have any words of wisdom. I'd sure like to hear them. This is a special request from my sister.

here are the ref photos...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2007/56079-canvas1_2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2007/56079-canvas_2_2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2007/56079-canvas_3_2.jpg

screechin
07-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Gayle, I've never done a painting like that before so I can't offer any help but I just wanted to say that I love the reference photo and can't wait to see how this progresses. Please keep us updated.

idcrisis55
07-07-2007, 04:38 PM
I have never painted a triptych but if you have a long table maybe you could jury rig an easel with plywood and 2 x 4's to place on top of the table so you can paint them side by side. Just a thought :). Yes please share your progress on this. The photo is gorgeous and no doubt your painting will be too.

dreamz
07-07-2007, 06:01 PM
thats going to be HUGE, I don't think a couple of nails in the wall will give you the support you need to paint. Working flat on a table will be difficult because of the size. Personally if I were to consider that size endeveor I would attach a sheet of plywood to the wall with hinges at the top and and some sort of adjustable suppports on the bottom, making a collapable type of "easle". A thin strip of wood along the bottom would support the canvas's. That may not be practical for you (it wouldn't be for me because I dont have a free wall that size)

Good luck on your project, please keep us informed of your progress

Alison2
07-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Wow! I am a beginner so have no idea how to help sadly, but am pulling up a chair and am excited by this!

Please let us see it progress and thanks for sharing!

Alison2:wave:

jan409
07-07-2007, 07:33 PM
The flowers are beautiful. I love the colors. You are much braver then I am. I would be terrified to try something like this. Jan

Paulafv
07-07-2007, 08:14 PM
I think Dreamz has the right idea. You may have an old door laying about onto which you could nail a 2x2 for the bottom support of your paintings, and maybe to hold them on the top as well. Don't forget saw horses, old tables, etc., unless you are very neat and don't keep things around. Friends and neighbors may have some raw goods (how about your sister?). I agree it would be best to work on all three at a time to ensure continuity of values and colors. What fun!

Good luck. Maybe your first idea would be good with some wood to reinforce it, and attach everything to a wall.

Best,

Paula

C_Line
07-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Wow Gayle, this is going to be exciting!

laudesan
07-08-2007, 12:21 AM
This is going to be a beauty. Lucky sister!!!

bullyluvver
07-08-2007, 05:10 AM
Beautiful reference pictures! I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle this but sadly, I don't have any advice to give as I've never attempted one myself. Good luck.

Gail

Lady Carol
07-08-2007, 09:40 AM
I have done several tryptichs. You can screw them together at the back and paint it as though it was one. The problem with that is that you may end up with a ridge of paint that falls between the canvases. Alternatively you can paint them individually but work from one to the next. So when you are at an edge you make sure that the paint goes to the next canvas.

Does that make sense. I didn't have any trouble with mine.

Here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201972)is one I did

gaykir
07-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks all of you for the support! I love your idea Dreamz even though I have no way to accomplish it. I am going to see if I can do this in the future as it would seem to be a great idea for all kinds of large canvases (especially in a small studio).
Paula - I'm afraid my neighbors might have an extra golf cart in the garage but no old doors. My sister would have all the right left overs but she lives in Washington state about 13 miles from the Canadian border. I'm almost at the Mexican border.
Carol - I like the idea of screwing them together if it were smaller but that would leave me handling a 54" X 36" canvas.

I found a spot, moved some stuff and put 3 nails on the wall side by side. I drew it all out on an 8 x 10 sheet of paper and then took that to Kinko's and had it enlarged to canvas size. I am now in the process of tranfering the drawings to the canvases. Not being a math wiz, this all gets very complicated but after several years of doing this I am usually able to convert sizes fairly well - The folks at my Kinko's all know me and are pretty helpful too.

All I want to do today is to get the drawing on the canvas. The next two days are tied up with Dr appointments for my husband so I doubt I will be able to begin painting before Wednesday. This will be a long project..... worse than the bicycles I think. (The postcard idea is starting to appeal to me!) Thanks again guys.

timelady
07-08-2007, 12:56 PM
One quick tip, as I work with canvases that large on the way - put up 2 nails for each canvas, about 6-10" apart. It just gives you a bit more stability. :)

Tina.

stapeliad
07-08-2007, 01:02 PM
You can paint them separately (I would), but in the initial layout stage I'd do the drawings at the same time on each canvas. Lay them out on the floor and line them up.

I don't think that'll be your biggest challenge though- I think it'll be keeping your mixed colors. Pre-mix a nice batch of the three or 4 main shades you'll use, enough for all three paintings.

This will be stunning, please post pics as you work.

SunsetSue
07-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Gayle, I have no words of advice since I have never tackled a triptych, but I think this will be amazing. Please keep us posted of your progress.

howyadoin
07-08-2007, 02:01 PM
thats going to be HUGE, I don't think a couple of nails in the wall will give you the support you need to paint. Working flat on a table will be difficult because of the size. Personally if I were to consider that size endeveor I would attach a sheet of plywood to the wall with hinges at the top and and some sort of adjustable suppports on the bottom, making a collapable type of "easle". A thin strip of wood along the bottom would support the canvas's.Nice idea. Especially if you built it so the angle could be adjusted.

And Gayle, best of luck on the project.

Lady Carol
07-08-2007, 02:51 PM
You can paint them separately (I would),
but you can't really paint them separately if you want the colours to be cohesive from one to the next.

I know I have done two tryptich

ArtsyFellow
07-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi Gayle, I'm not sure if I've ever posted on this forum before or not, and I haven't checked in to wet canvas in some time. I found I was spending too much time on the computer and not enough at the easel. Anyway, sorry for the rambling. I painted a 60x48 canvas that I had absolutely no room for. What I did was take a 1x2 piece of wood, about three feet long and screwed it to the wall right at the ceiling,( I should note my ceilings are only about seven feet high). Then I jammed the canvas up under it tight and screwed another piece of wood, same dimensions, under it. It held quite strongly and it never shifted even when I was assaulting the canvas with a 2" wide brush. It worked for me and I think it would for you also. I would put all three canvases up this way, maybe about a quarter inch apart. That way they're close enough to match up, yet you should'nt have the problem with paint build up. Good luck!

stapeliad
07-08-2007, 06:03 PM
but you can't really paint them separately if you want the colours to be cohesive from one to the next.

I know, that's why I said to pre-mix a ton of paint for all of them and keep it airtight. You can even tube it if necessary.

gaykir
07-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Another big decision made. I will wrap the painting around the edges. Good advice about two nails Tina. Thanks. I feel more comfortable working on all three canvases at the same time. So that is what I will do (thanks Carol).
I have them hung and the images transfered. I am now in the stage of reviewing the drawings to make sure they follow correctly from one canvas to the next and also that it reads correctly.

I still want to get Dreamz idea at some point and I think I want a movable bottom rail so it can be adjusted dependng on the canvas size. My daughter will help me build this when she gets back from a diving trip to Honduras. For now, here it is on the wall. I shoved everything out of the way and you will see I barely had room on the wall between a light switch and an electrical outlet......
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2007/56079-triptych.jpg

Margaret 59
07-08-2007, 08:56 PM
You definitely work fast Gayle. I'm really looking forward to this progress.

laudesan
07-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Wow how did you draw it out so fast! :)

gaykir
07-08-2007, 09:17 PM
As stated previously....
I drew it all out on an 8 x 10 sheet of paper and then took that to Kinko's and had it enlarged to canvas size. I am now in the process of tranfering the drawings to the canvases. Not being a math wiz, this all gets very complicated but after several years of doing this I am usually able to convert sizes fairly well - The folks at my Kinko's all know me and are pretty helpful too.
...and I use carbon paper to do the transfer. Then I still have to do some hand drawing because as you increase the size, small details need to be enhanced and sometimes changes need to be made to increase the visual impact.

*Violet*
07-08-2007, 09:44 PM
i don't know how large an easel you have, but if you had one of the large heavy ones it might support these three canvases if you took some 1x1s (3 or 4?) and temporarily attached them all to them with maybe a 1" space between them to it to create a 56" x 36" panel and secure that to your easel so you could paint them all at the same time and even paint the sides (somewhat) if you intend to ... and of course separate them in the end and finish the inner edges more exactingly ...

and ... i think however you approach this ... it's going to be a beaut !!

edtree
07-08-2007, 10:08 PM
They're going to be beautiful, Gayle. Love the references! Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I'm all ears as others come forward with their experiences.

I'll be checking in often to see these develop! :D

Elizabeth

CamiTampa
07-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Gayle, I tip my hat to you for such a grand undertaking. Good luck, though from the look of it you've got everything under control.
I couldn't even attempt anything that large. I paint in the kitchen and my wife wouldn't stand for losing access to all the upper cabinets on one side of her kitchen.
Cami