PDA

View Full Version : are web sites a waste of time and money

meart
07-07-2007, 10:19 AM
with the vast amount of web sites selling artists work out there, is there just to many for the public to choose from and who in the end makes the money from them.

Yorky
07-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Well, I just checked yours out so they have some uses :)

You can have a free selling site here on wetcanvas by the way. Go to Tools Gallery manager on the top lne.

I see you are attending Preston College, we're getting quite a group.

Doug

RightBrainMan
07-08-2007, 11:46 PM
I think that some artists put their art on the web and then just sit there hoping that the money will start rolling in. It takes more work than that.

There's a reason that major web-based companies do a lot of offline promotion. They know that you can have the best website in the world, but it doesn't do much good unless you're getting traffic. That's a principle a lot of artists don't seem to understand.

SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is one of the keys to increasing traffic. Putting your web address on anything and everything you can afford to put it on is another. Press releases are yet another way to make people aware of your website (and they're generally free or nearly free).

When one has a website, associated with a larger company (such as Yessy.com), it can have benefits, but it can also have tradeoffs. If you're on a website with 300 other artists, the benefit is that the wide selection brings more traffic to the site. The drawback is that you're competing with those other 300 artists when visitors get to the site!

Consequently, my personal feeling is that the best idea (if it's feasible) is to have both: A personal website dedicated solely to one's own art, as well as a site which is a subsite of a larger "gallery site". Having a blog of your own is yet another way to drive traffic to your web gallery, and it's free if you use the right blog hosting company.

But don't take me for an expert. These are just my personal observations. I haven't yet gotten to the point that I'm making any money online from my art. It's a time-consuming process, and even though it costs a lot less than opening a physical art gallery, it still requires some investments of both money and time.

Yorky
07-09-2007, 02:52 AM
Another way of promoting your art is to publish Google or YouTube videos which are seen by millions.

Roger Bansemer (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=481291675407732987&q=painting) and Robert Leedy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbMZuNLI1wI)are two that have done this.

Doug

meart
07-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Well, I just checked yours out so they have some uses :)

You can have a free selling site here on wetcanvas by the way. Go to Tools Gallery manager on the top lne.

I see you are attending Preston College, we're getting quite a group.

Doug thats good i have a number of free ones:D what my thought was with the vast amount out there does this cause confusion for the buyer, or give the buyer more choice? and should the buyer have that amount of choice? plus in the end does it just waste time for the artist if one has to maintain and update...yes iam attending uclan and i live not far from you! sorry for these seemingly mundane questions iam doing a bit of research for my MA

Diane Cutter
07-11-2007, 06:59 AM
You'll get a vast amount of information on this subject which you can research in the Internet Sales Strategies forum...

Diane

meart
07-13-2007, 11:30 AM
You'll get a vast amount of information on this subject which you can research in the Internet Sales Strategies forum...

Dianethanks ....

DLGardner
08-06-2007, 01:36 AM
I use my webpage as a tool. I find it extremely important to have web presence. I am a lot of places painting, entering shows etc. When someone likes my work but is not in a position to buy they take my card and contact me later. They love that I have a website. There they can see my work and be reminded that they want a piece of art from me! My site is set up to automatically send out a note to clients when I add new work and I periodically send email out from my site anouncing exhibitions and events that I will be at. This helps to remind people I'm still here. I keep my customers this way. And they show my work to others easily also so that I gain more. I once had a customer who was on my email list. I hadn't heard from her for over three years. One day when I sent out an email, and after she visited my site, she ordered a painting. People need to be able to find not just you (as in a phone call) but what you are doing...your pictures. They need to see them easily. A website is a remarkable tool for this! Take advantage of it!

jmho
Dianne