PDA

View Full Version : Vertical marks on canvas from strecher bars

yadaaa
07-07-2007, 06:00 AM
Hello all,

I'm painting on a large canvas (39" X 55"), that has 2 bars vertical and 2 horizontal in the middle. It's some cheap chinese canvas (unfortunately, in this size, I can't afford something else). When I paint on it, no matter how gently I try to touch the canvas, I have vertical marks from the bars behind. Is there a way to avoid that? I tried to put board behind, but it only streches the canvas more.

Thank you :)

laudesan
07-07-2007, 07:01 AM
If the board stretches the canvas, you can rectify that by spraying the back of the canvas when you have finished your painting with clean water and the canvas will tighten again..

Lady Carol
07-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Did the canvas come with little plastic or wooden triangles? If so, hammer them into the corners at the back of the canvas to stretch it tighter. Then gesso the front of the canvas. This should help to remove the marks.

Enchanted
07-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Hello all,

I'm painting on a large canvas (39" X 55"), that has 2 bars vertical and 2 horizontal in the middle. It's some cheap chinese canvas (unfortunately, in this size, I can't afford something else). When I paint on it, no matter how gently I try to touch the canvas, I have vertical marks from the bars behind. Is there a way to avoid that? I tried to put board behind, but it only streches the canvas more.

Thank you :)

This is an annoying problem and it has nothing to do with the quality of the canvas. I've had it happen to canvas I've stretched myself using quality stretcher bars. My experience has been that it occurs when applying acrylic primer (gesso) and once that happens, there is little recourse other than sanding the ridges smooth and adding another coat of gesso. I use a sheet of metal (lightweight flashing) inserted between the stretcher bar and back side of the canvas when sanding down the ridges, and then take extra care when applying the added coat of primer to be sure I don't press down on the canvas so hard that it contacts the stretcher bar edges again.

Good luck with yours. :wave:

yadaaa
07-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Thank you all for the productive replys :)

I thought there is a "magical" solution I don't know of, but I see now I'm not the only one suffering from it.

:thumbsup: