PDA

View Full Version : stream in woodland - finished

Mary Brigid
07-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Hello to you all :wave:
I am sure you have all forgotten me. I have not posted here since last Feb. Illness and life got in the way of art. However I have been dabbling with this for the last few months.
Aprox 22" X 16" on Wallis white museum grade with a mix of softies
C/C most welcome
Regards to you all
Mary Brigid

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2007/90519-stream_in_woodland.jpg

Deborah Secor
07-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Wow! Mary Brigid, this is quite lovely. I'm glad you're able to join us here again. :wave:

I know you've been ill and haven't done a lot of pasteling, but it really doesn't show in this painting. If you're like me, you've been looking at this for so long that you just can't 'see' it anymore, but trust me that there is some very strong and beautiful stuff happening here.

I especially like the distant hazier trees and the light shining so softly into the interior of the forest. The leaf litter alone is incredibly well done, not to mention the vivacious colors you've chosen. It's so alive and yet quiet. I expect to hear my own muted footfalls amid the sounds of the brook--and there just has to be a bird fluting somewhere off over that hillside.

Okay, a couple little picks, nothing major to my mind but I know you want C&C. The angle of the two leaning trees is a little too much the same for my taste. I'd straighten up the smaller, more distant one if it was mine. Actually as I look at it I start to see a lot of branches that seem to have that same slant, so maybe you could just examine them and see what you can do to vary things.

I love the way the water softens in color and value as it turns the corner and goes off the page at the bottom. Very nice. I wonder if you could dance just a hint of the paler yellows into the upper regions to create a bit more 'air'. (In the distance white turns slightly pinkish or yellowish, so play--not much! Just a slight shade.) It may actually be that way already and just not be reading on my monitor. It's so hard to show subtleties in these photographs.

It looks like 'living water' to me, Mary Brigid! I hope you'll end up pleased with it. I can see that it's been a labor of love. Keep going and I hope you'll continue to be up to painting.

God bless--Deborah

*Violet*
07-06-2007, 07:21 PM
i'm loving this one, mary !! ... lovely composition ... great contrasts ... great atmospheric perspective ... fabulous water ... love that moss ....and those leaves !! ... you've created quite a *mood* with this one ... you should be proud of it ... !!! ... :thumbsup:

mrking
07-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Fascinating!

Donna T
07-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi Mary Brigid, of course we have not forgotten you. Missed you and glad to see you are back at the pastels. This is so beautiful, such a peaceful scene. I hope you are feeling better and are able to paint more.

Donna T

GaryNorthants
07-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Great dabbling. I can almost hear the stream
Gary

Mary Brigid
07-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Deborah: Thank you so much for the C/C. I am so glad that you like this.
I can see what you mean about the trees and branches going in one direction. I will work on this....
Do you mean to put yellow highlights on the distant water Deborah?
Thank you again

Violet: Thank you for your lovely comments. I am just proud I finnised it Violet. It has been on the easel so long I was getting tired of seeing it.

mrking: Thank you for looking and for your comment

Donna: Thank you. Glad you like it. I have missed WC also. And thank you I am getting a lot better.

Gary. Thank you for the comments on the stream. I found it the hardest part of the painting to do.

VeronicaF
07-07-2007, 05:57 AM
WOW mary, this is so beautiful so much detail ,light,water,truly outstanding,I would love you to do a wip,I would love to learn off you
fantastic work mary!!

paul444
07-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Mary
Beautiful painting,
I love the colours you have used.

Karen Margulis
07-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Welcome back!!! What a beautiful painting. I love the colors and the mood you've created. It's great to see you painting again!

Karen

Constellation
07-07-2007, 08:36 AM
What a warm and lovely painting! I love the water and the colors you've used and the softness of the deepening forest.... it's delightful! Donna R.

Mary Brigid
07-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Veronica: Thank you for looking and I am glad you like it. I feel I am not accomplished enough to do a wip. I still feel I am very much a learner. You flatter me.

Paul: Thank you for your comments. They are all my fav colours.

Karen: Nice to see you all again... I have spent hours here looking at all the wonderful work I have missed. Thank you for your comments and taking the time to look

Donna: Thank you. I found the water extreamly hard to do. I changed the course of it many times before I got someway satisfied.

Mikki Petersen
07-07-2007, 11:30 AM
So sorry you were ill and hope you are fully recovered now. Deborah did such a thorough critique of both the strong and weak points that all I can say about this painting is...beautiful work!

Mikki

David Patterson
07-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Glad you're back Mary...very strong painting! Like Deborah said, there are a lot of wonderful things going on with your painting.

David

Bringer
07-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi Mary,

Good to see you again and hope everything strats getting better.
OK, this is difficult to critique, namely because I find it a quite difficult subject.
First let me start be saying that I think you did a really good work.
Now, not meaning that I could do as well as you, here are my ideas on how it might be improved:

1 ) the part of the red ground (red leafs ?) on the background and from left untill about middle shouldn't go as high as where the trees' leafs/branches start. This is, the viewer would observe beyond the trees. You'd also apply a less saturate red as going further away.
However maybe it's not advisable to make that change now, so my advise is to just use a less saturated tone on the farthest part.

2) a wider range of values and temperatures on the leafs near the observer.

3) a tad bigger difference between the lightest and darkest part of the trees' trunks.

These are my thoughts on what I think it's already a very good work and a difficult one.

Kind regards,

Josť

Mary Brigid
07-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Mikki: Thank you, will try and improve this in the next few days.

David: Thank you for your comments and taking the time to look.

Jose: Thank you Jose for the C/C. you are so right about fading away. And your thoughts on the tree trunks is correct. I will work on this and post the improvments. I have used layers and layers of pastel on this so I hope it will take a few more!!! Thank you again.

dbjs
07-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Mary! This is stunningly beautifull!! I truly admire your patiens! wow, great work.

amandanator
07-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Mary,

Very nice work. Can't wait to see more. The light and the water are beautiful.

Amanda

Mary Brigid
07-08-2007, 05:02 AM
Dorte: Thanks for looking. And you say I have patience? I would never be able to tackle the detail you do with fur.

Amanda: Thank you for your comments. will try and post my corrections today

nvcricket
07-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Hi Mary,

Welcome back. I'm glad you are feeling better. This is a labor of love I can see. I really enjoy getting lost in your woods. Your stream is excellent, it beacons me to come and rest in the peacefulness of this glade. Your trees are kind of shaded on the left side, and the two trees in the middle are highlighted on the left side, and this throws me a bit. It doesn't really detract. It sort of gives off a subtle message that the center of light comes from within the painting. Maybe painting this was good therapy for you through these trying times...your sense of life comes from an inner source within. I am probably reading much more into this, please forgive me for going off on this tangent.
Great work!

Carol

CindyW
07-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Mary, I'm happy for you that you are able to paint and what a painting you have done! The rock stream is perfect and the bright yellows and reds of the woods are very cheery. :)
Cindy

Pabs
07-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Really portrays a senes of peace, calm and tranquility. I can hear the soft trickle of the water and smell the dampness of the scene. Very well done.
Regards,
Pabs

Mary Brigid
07-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Carol: I am glad you like it. And yes it was good therapy. I am still tweaking at it and hope to finnish it tonight.

Cindy: Thank you for looking and for your very nice comments.

Pabs: Thank you also. I think it worked for me as It gave me some peace when I was doing it..

NickyW
07-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Mary, welcome back i hope you are feeling better now. I love your painting, its just so relaxing and has a lovely feeling too it..well done.

willG
07-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Hi Mary, Its wonderful to see you back , you have chosen a difficult subject to get back into things , and you have done a very nice job of it, I get an Autumn feel looking at it . Well done :wave:
Regards Will

bruce johnson
07-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Wow!!! fabulous Mary.... I love the colours... excellent....:clap: :thumbsup:

Mary Brigid
07-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Thank you Nickey, Will and Bruce for your kind thoughts and comments..... I am still tweeking at it..... Think my trees are a bit better now... and its time to take it off my easel put it to bed. Thank you for looking http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2007/90519-stream_in_woods_2.jpg

bauble girl
07-11-2007, 08:26 AM
like this very much.

*Violet*
07-11-2007, 10:45 AM
mary ... you've tweaked this to perfection ... it looks fabulous ... i esp like that top left branch having more definition giving it the impression that it is so much closer than the other foliage ... it adds another dimension ... :thumbsup: ... i hope you're proud of it ...

dbjs
07-11-2007, 11:58 AM
ahh...Mary!! It's so beautifull!

Mary Brigid
07-12-2007, 03:20 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: I have just seen a smudge and wee mess on the small tree trunk in the middle..... will fix it as I will get it under glass today.
Thank you Bauble Girl, Violet and Dorte.
Mary Brigid :wave: