PDA

View Full Version : Eyes Left!

Katherine T
07-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Hi folks - I don't post in this forum very often but thought you might like to see one of the works I've just completed for the annual exhibition of the Society of Feline Art in the UK. If you'd like to know more about this I've written about it on my blog post this morning. (http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2007/07/eyes-left.html)

(http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2007/07/eyes-left.html)This is called "Eyes left" (Thanks to Wendy/Catchlight for pointing out to me that they're actually looking the same way!) I used coloured pencils on black Arches cover paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2007/48045-web_eyes-right-leftv2.jpg

You can see more of in the gallery of cat drawings on my website (http://www.pastelsandpencils.com/cats.html)

Shelley P
07-06-2007, 06:59 AM
This is really great Katherine. You've really captured that posture. I love all the gold, green and pink that you incorporated into the fur and that grass isn't just green either. Well done. I've been itching to try cp too. Perhaps I'll finally get around to it this summer. Bought a whole set and haven't even opened them.
Shelley

Katherine T
07-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Well given the amount of rain we've been having recently I'm a bit surprised this grass isn't starting to float away - it's certainly got a lot greener since I took the original ref. shot!

However, other than extremely well manicured grass, I've always found grass has a lot of colours other than green in it - it's just a question of looking. And then of course there are all the variations of green! I had a mug stuffed full of green pencils for this one (and turquoise and pink and gold and violet and indigo and raspberry)! ;)

Which brand of coloured pencils did you buy?

Shelley P
07-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Send some the rain this way! We've had a dry spell for weeks and are currently on a watering ban. Everythings fried to a crisp!

I believe I bought Prismacolor. Is that a good brand? It was some time ago when they were on sale at our local art store.

Shelley

PatrickHedges
07-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Eyes Left :lol: Brilliant title for an excellent work

Katherine T
07-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks Patrick.

Shelly - I'm just glad I live in London - we're getting the rain but we don't have the widespread flooding that they currently have in Yorkshire.

Prismacolor is one of the premier brands. If you bought them some time ago then they probably still include some colours which are not lightfast (read fade fast in bright light!). The Prismacolor brand has been updated recently and they now have quite an extensive range of colours which offer good quality in relation to lightfastness.

I've got a section on lightfastness on my squidoo lens Resources for Artists: Coloured Pencils (http://www.squidoo.com/colpencils/) - you might want to check it out. The second section is about lightfastness. The first section has a link to the Sanford website for details about Prismacolor and the new lightfast pencils.

chocolatyclaire
07-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Great drawing Katherine. I too am going to enter that exhibition! Good luck in it! :thumbsup:

Katherine T
07-06-2007, 08:26 AM
:wave:Hi Claire - long time no talk!

Just in case you're not aware it's not an open exhibition. Have you applied for and got your associate membership sorted?

chocolatyclaire
07-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi Katherine!

Yep, I'm pretty much a lurker these days! I need to get back to posting more. :rolleyes:

I didn't realise you have to apply for membership?? I thought it was open to non-members too? :confused:

Katherine T
07-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Nope. You need to be at least an Associate Member, It's not difficult - just follow the links in the blog post on my blog today - but I wouldn't hang around. Probably best to give the membership secretary a ring if there's a number. Also you want to get the details of how to submit from Llewellyn Alexander.

If you link up with Gayle you could maybe do one courier delivery to me and I'll then take them in for you when I take mine in. Otherwise you'll need to do a timed/dated courier delivery as they only accept deliveries on one day - with completed forms and labels - so you need to get hold of those from the gallery.

Lot's to think about and do!

Mandy Valin
07-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Lol I know Im going to feel dumb asking this but....how are they looking the same way? It looks like thye are looking in opposite directions...

aside from my slowness lol This is an awesome drawing, very adorable.

Katherine T
07-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Lol I know Im going to feel dumb asking this but....how are they looking the same way? It looks like thye are looking in opposite directions...

aside from my slowness lol This is an awesome drawing, very adorable.Not as dumb as I felt when I got it wrong to start with!

The kitten whose back we can see is turning her head to the left to peek at what's going on beyond the fence

The kitten on the right - facing us - is also turning his head to his left to see what his Mum is up to.

Simple really - but I didn't get it either until Wendy pointed it out! After which the title just seemed a bit obvious.

jody007
07-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Oh this is so cute! I just love everything about it!
Jody

annj
07-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Gorgeous Katherine. Wonderful palette!

chocolatyclaire
07-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks Katherine. Looks like I need to get my skates on. That is really very kind of you - I'll get back to you soon. Thanks. :)

tazzers2007
07-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Such adorable Kittens ! Great Job!