PDA

View Full Version : Re: Acryl a Miser Palette System

impressionist2
07-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Hi all.

Has anyone tried this palette system? Is it any good? or great?

http://www.aswexpress.com/art-supply/catalogs/0073816000000/?u=6184F7E1-1FFE-4A11-9222-F57DC13D8CBD&s=4E3C2A3E-8D13-4FFD-A56B-52235D14EE06&p=1002EC20-1E48-4D4D-914B-3694A4070E41&ss=&FOI=

In theory this would be wonderful. Just trying to save $27.00 if it's not good.

Thanks in advance for any reviews.

Renee

www.ReneeBrown.com

Sandiclaus
07-06-2007, 11:46 AM
That does look very interesting. I just got a DVD on painting fur by Derek C Wicks. I noticed the palette cup/tray he was using and wondered about it - it looks like the one you posted. It just might work- given his style, I was wondering how he kept the paint from drying.
Sandi

Charlie's Mum
07-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Looks good!
The offer now is just under $20 - so maybe worth a try?

jcpope
07-06-2007, 05:21 PM
I have this palette. I like it because you can mix up lots of colors and keep them for a while. I have kept paint mixes going for three or four days - haven't tried any longer than that; and I did have some extender mixed in as well. The only thing I found that wasn't as advertised was that I couldn't just "peel" off the old paint, I had to scrub some. But it could have been me -- I was using very, very thin paint - almost watery.

Jan
janpope.googlepages.com

Einion
07-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Hi Renee :wave:

Waste less acrylic paint! Save color blends for up to 2 weeks! Extend open working time for up to 5 hours...
I can save colour mixes for more than two weeks (up to a month or so sometimes) in my homemade stay-wet palette.

And as for the open time I've painted for at least eight hours with the palette open and had tiny blobs of mixed paint stay perfectly workable*. I once left the lid off while I was at work and came back 9/10 hours later and the paint was all pretty much fine too.

*They do tend to become a little more fluid over time though. Minor drawback in the grand scheme of things IMO, especially considering the huge setup costs :D

Einion

laudesan
07-06-2007, 09:54 PM
looks great, but I just put my colours onto my piece of opaque perspex and cover them with glad wrap. If covered tightly will stay moist for weeks. If I mix up a big mix of colour i just use a eramic chinese sauce dish and cover that with glad wrap. or if i am painting a big canvas I put the mix into a margarine container cover with glad wrap and put the lid on. Those mixes are still viable even after 6 months..:D

Works if it is artist grade paint student grade paint tends to go rancid if I remember rightly..

:wave:

impressionist2
07-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Sorry- I disappeared for a little while.

Einion and all, Thanks. I investigated and this seems simple to do by yourself.

I use a disposable palette already so all I am doing is adding the wet watercolor sheet to keep the parchment paper moist.

I'm going to look up the plastic shallow container on tupperware. I'll bet I can fine a nice large one. The premade wet palette bins looks too small for me.

Here's the DIY setup:

http://painting.about.com/library/blpaint/blacrylicspaletteDIY.htm

Renee