PDA

View Full Version : Gardenia...Take #2 Advice/feedback please!!!

Lady Carol
07-05-2007, 07:24 PM
I had to trash the last gardenia painting. I over worked it to death and although I like the leaves I couldn't give it to my client.

Here is a second go at it. I am happier but I still want advice. I swear this is the last time I paint white flowers.

Sorry about the glare
24X30 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2007/11811-IMG_9433-01.jpg

mrs willow
07-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Carol:wave: I like the composition, and the way the leaves fade into the darker background. However, I think the bud is distracting.The flower doesn't really read as white to me.I think it needs more white areas and sharper (pure white) highlights...keep the fawn colour for shadows at this stage.
Have you thought about using this as a grisaille and then glazing layers of colours?
Sandy

C_Line
07-05-2007, 07:55 PM
I actually like the position of the flower better in this one Carol. I'd like to see some warm yellow/yellowish green glazes from the center out going towards the top and right. Being white they're going to reflect some of the green from the foliage like mirrors and so I can visualize where the bud is projecting forward that there might be reflections of the green on the petals. Also, I think since this is predominantly green in color, some very faint touches of blush color would be warming and quite complimentary.

White is so incredibly challenging, isn't it? Your composition is lovely. I particularly like the way the foliage surrounds the blossom in an interesting way.

gaykir
07-05-2007, 07:57 PM
I agree with Carol regarding the bud - I love the composition otherwise but having done a gardenia myself, I am with you all the way on not doing a white flower again. My advice would be the same as I gave last time - jump in with some color. But I am not an expert so hopefully some of the others will jump in with great ideas. Sorry I'm not much help.

C_Line
07-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Carol,

If you don't mind, I'm going to upload a photo of a gardenia I took in Florida that I thought would help with color.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2007/94054-Gardenia.jpg

See the colors of the petals where the light shines through? There's almost a glowing golden warmth. Then, as soon as the petal "rounds the bend" so to speak, where the sun's not shining through, there's lavendarish colors fading off to blue. On the right side, away from the sunlight, within the shadow cast from the flower's central body, there are reflections of limey green, turquoise, bird's egg blue. And at the top, as the petals spiral around each other, you can see blush pink coming out from the junctions.

So, all in all, I see lots of lovely pastel colors which will go nicely with the fawns that you already have in place. Hope this helps.

Lady Carol
07-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Which bud are you guys referring to. The one at the front or the one on the side?

mrs willow
07-05-2007, 10:17 PM
The one at the front Carol:wave:
Sandy

Finnegan18
07-05-2007, 10:18 PM
I can see the color! I can see it! I have a terrible time with white flowers but by God, pardon the swearing, but I can see it! C_Line you took one amazing photo. I have never before seen such color in a white flower. I think Lady Carol is doing a fine compostition but that bud makes me think of something male... It would go well next to a Georgia O'Keefe painting. Balance it out so to speak. The painting is good in my opinion.

Lady Carol
07-05-2007, 10:53 PM
but that bud makes me think of something male...
:eek::eek: that was not my intention. :eek::eek:

I can see the colours too. Amazing when someone else points is out.

My white is not white. Very frustrating. It is Titanium White

Finnegan18
07-06-2007, 12:17 AM
I think flowers lend themselves to a very evocative motif. I have never seen a photograph capture the light and colors so well. Honestly, I can see colors. Even if she hadn't pointed them out they are apparent. Anyway, I like the painting at the start of this thread very much right down to the bud.

Lady Carol
07-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Thank you Finnegan18. I appreciate what you are saying. I have to say that I do like the bud. It has now been changed a bit so that it is not so... errr....umm...male like :eek:

Actually I appreciate all the feedback that has been given. Thank you Celeste, Sandy and Gayle.

jan409
07-06-2007, 08:30 AM
I like the flower, the placement of the flower is good. Jan

misterC
07-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Looks good ..I think the flower is better balanced against the leaves in this second attempt, more depth and shape. Hard to say without seeing the reference.. but like others have said, you can see in the ref above, very little (if any) pure white , but plenty of contrast and subtle tones.

Andy

LavenderFrost
07-06-2007, 12:25 PM
I need to find your first one, but this one looks good.

Lady Carol
07-06-2007, 12:39 PM
The gardenia is finished.

See this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431109)