PDA

View Full Version : Affecting the painterly style.

Farfallina
07-05-2007, 09:56 AM
I started off with this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2007/95602-guitar.jpg

And this is my interpretation:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2007/95602-Guitar.jpg

Am I anywhere close to the painterly style?

Mikki Petersen
07-05-2007, 12:08 PM
It's definitely painterly and the subject is nicely interpretted. So nice when an artist can take an ordinary photo and make an extraordinary painting from it.

Mikki

David Patterson
07-05-2007, 01:33 PM
This is very well done. :thumbsup: But... I always have interpreted "paintery" as a style the doesn't have many hard edges or lines. Where images are "suggested" by shapes, and color. Also, less detail, and more broad strokes, usually helps achieve a painterly effect.

To me, your piece isn't "photo realistic", but doesn't quite yet fit the "painterly" category. Just my 2 cents, and interpretation.

David

GaryNorthants
07-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I also associate painterly with suggested detail and more left out for the eye and mind to fill in. However I do like this a lot
Gary

Constellation
07-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi... and to me "painterly" is all of the above plus a tendency to have brush strokes that are very obvious and loose.... more of a suggestion of shape and form rather than showing us "more than we need to know"..... It is a nice painting however! Donna R.

Farfallina
07-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Thank you all. I guess the subject didn't lend itself so well to the experiment. I suppose just making something look different isn't exactly a different style.

Maybe a landscape or some floral theme would be a better option.

Thanks all for looking and for your suggestions.

upast
07-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Yes - too many frets and strings details in the photo and you could hardly leave them out! I had the same trouble recently when a woman wanted a painting of cyclists. I didn't want to paint the wheels of the bikes, but I had to, though I only suggested the spokes,

prestonsega
07-06-2007, 09:38 AM
I , too, do not a consider this work to be painterly, but a good start.....Add multible layers working all over the picture plan ...get rod of hard edges and experiment using different colors....I find working all over the composition helps me stay loose.