PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed please!

dobber
07-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi All,

I usually post in the soft pastel forum. This is my second egg tempera painting. It's a miniature 3x3 inches. I know the gosling in the back on the left needs more work. His back is to flat looking. I'm not sure how to fix this. It's supposed to be darker feathers but that seems to make it look flat. Any suggestions to improve this painting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dobber

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2007/99764-File0056.jpg

studiogarcia
07-03-2007, 04:21 PM
I think this is nice for being your second egg tempera painting. I did not readily notice the flatness you mentioned in the top left gosling.

Since you mentioned it you could possibly add some darker values near where it meets the gosling in front of it and grade it up so that it creates a better sense that the gosling is round. Alternatively you can also add some lighter values to the top section of feathers behind it's head.

Other than that I would suggest maybe introducing other colors into the feathers, some oranges or reds to give them a bit more warmth.

Nice work on the strokes following the form.

meglyman
07-04-2007, 06:04 PM
I think you've done a very good job so far. I love their little beaks! My suggestion would be to soften the edges where the fluff meets the water (I think you've already done that well on the top right gosling). The shadows in the water are very well done.
Meg

Eggy
07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi, dobber !
I think it is just a matter of tonality. If you concentrate on the tonal values, the rest will fall into place.
Very good for a second try with this awkward medium.
What sort of ET do you use, dobber ?
Kind regards,
Eggy

dobber
07-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi Eggy,

I don't use the pre mixed egg tempera in the tubes. I use pure pigments and mix them with an egg yolk and distilled water mixture.

Dobber