PDA

View Full Version : the Goal Post for July

Piper Ballou
07-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Sorry everyone I was out of town and did not get this started on the 1st. If you are new to the Goal Posts, this thread was started by Sooz, I am happy and humbled to continue this thread in her honor.

This is the place to set goals, share ideas, and try new things..... Here is a link to the June Goal Post
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424560

I will be back later today and post my July Goals...this is going to be a good month.
piper

bogbeast
07-03-2007, 01:29 PM
ooo, do I get to post first? Cuz I'm rarin' to go, and if I stop I may not get started again for months!

My primary goal for July is to paint--one painting, any type, of anything, plein aire, photo, wde, pastel strokes, doesn't matter. Preferably to finish one painting.

I've already gotten a decent start on it--had the afternoon "off" yesterday (oh, what will I do if/when Melissa gets a job? boo-hoo, not nearly so much time off! I'm getting very spoiled!!!) so I printed out some of my "working" photos from Mendocino at the local copy shop, and blocked in and started a larger (for me--12 x 18") painting of wildflowers on a cliff edge on the coast, with really dark, frothy water behind. If it works, it will be cool! I haven't had to figure out approaching a larger painting for, literally, years, so I was a little stymied by the process--thanks to having watched all the WIPs here, I got over that hurdle for now. I am going to try finishing one section at a time--a different approach for me, but I'm trying to be more realistic than usual and it's too daunting to do it all over at once. One corner of the water is mostly done.

So, I hope to finish this one during the next week or so, but my goal remains to simply finish one painting, even if it is a 1" x 1" of a plum!

My second goal is to re-photograph and post the 2 pictures I finished last week--my indoor nighttime photo efforts were fairly hideous, color-wise. I plan to do that I soon as I get out of the shower unless Sam wakes up way too soon.

My remaining goal is to dump out and totally reorganize my pastel box. I've had it arranged roughly by value, color, and fitting them all in---but that has ended up with yellow-oranges down by the dark blues, and greens by the peaches, and little stray pieces anywhere there was a space the right size, as well as warm and cool colors mixed together. It's not working for me. I'm going to aim for warm on one side, cool on the other, sorted by value but not hue--I can usually tell if something is red or blue, at least! If Sammie naps long enough, I may be able to do that this morning!!!

So--I'm on a bit of a roll, I've got some of that slightly distracted, "I'm working on a painting..." thing going on that my partner is actually really glad to see again (she used to complain about it, but it's been a long, long couple years!)---we'll see if I can keep it up!! The support I get here makes a huge difference in my ability to keep going, so I guess my fourth goal is to stay active on WC!, although a lot briefer!

Libby

Piper Ballou
07-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Ready, Set, and Libby is off and running.....sounds like you have a great plan, good idea not to plan so much with the little ones you have...but isn't it fun to be painting again....

Well, as always, I did not get many goals done for June...I did paint with my pastel friend here in town, ordered the Richard McDaniel Great Americans...and wow oh wow, I love them.
this month...
I am going to try a couple of cars
maybe a landscape
I do have one commission that I need to get done
and paint some everyday...

piper

CindyW
07-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi Piper and Libby and everyone else posting after,
Goals for this month....it's gonna be a wild month with no spare moments!

Paint like crazy. I've got a couple weeks to paint for an outdoor show I'm in in the early part of August. I'm trying to think like the Little Engine Who Could!
I'll post some when I get them finished over in the studio.

Frame like crazy. Thanks to Piper's wonderful helpful husband through a thread from 05, I have lots of info for framing that will make it an easier week before the show.....because that's when I'll be frantic with getting all the paintings framed!

Good luck to you all!
Cindy :)

bogbeast
07-04-2007, 11:39 PM
hey, it's only been a day since I wrote my goals, and I've already completed one of the three!!! Re-photographed my two paintings and posted them in the softies forum, all done!

And since the predicted heat wave really didn't appear here today (thank goodness! I adore living on the coast!!!!!!), it is balmy already at 7:30 but still plenty light. I think I will take my pastel box outside while the light is decent and start rearranging. Have to wait until DW gets back from Mickey D's with ice cream cones, since the kids are still awake is all--little Miss O was in such a state all day that it wasn't worth even trying to go out for festivities this evening.

No new goals unless/until I complete the first three.

Piper, I've drooled many a time over that set---someday, after Melissa starts working again. Part-time chaplaincy doesn't cover art expenses...

and Cindy, of course you can, of course you can, of course you can!!

Happy Fourth to the Americans! and Happy Painting to all!!

Libby

bogbeast
07-06-2007, 03:41 AM
Yoo-hoo, anybody out there doing goals this month? It's pretty quiet around here!

Didn't get the pastel box sorted last night--kids took too long to settle down and it got to dark. But I got to do it tonight--two goals done, one to go. Now I have no excuse not to paint.....

Piper Ballou
07-06-2007, 03:58 AM
Libby...when you get going you really get going.

I did paint today, it is a 57 red truck posted in soft pastels, still have some work to do on it
and I cleaned out my studio, I mean really cleaned and cleared everything out, it is piled in the dining room right now, so tomorrow I will sort and clean up everything

cindy, a summer show would be fun, we do not have them here, it is way to hot, good luck, and if you need advice just PM me or Stan.

so Libby, if you get all three goals finished are you going to make a fourth goal for the month....hehehe

happy painting
piper

CindyW
07-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Hi all,
I painted away this past weekend...still working on some and will post in the studio when I'm done.
Piper, thanks for the framing advice help! I bought some of those spacers from Frametek to try out for my matless paintings I've got started. I want to try this to see how it works out for this show. I had to buy a bundle of 100 ft. so I'll report back on it in the next couple weeks how useful it was. I watched the video on it and it sure looked uncomplicated and exactly what I wanted.
I'm looking into glass now since the frames I bought quite some time ago are glassless and we know the price fluctuation with glass!!! Gotta get going on that part of the framing goal I have since it can't be done in just an hour. So much work to do once the painting is completed.
(and I'm going on vacation this month....crazycrazycrazy methinks.)
Great truck painting, Piper, btw.

Cindy

Piper Ballou
07-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Cindy,
I will be looking for your paintings....
Let us know how the spacers work, I have not talked Stan into trying them yet.
Is this August show an art fair type of show? or something different. I remember you doing this last year too
I am still working on the dag red truck too....next vehicle will not be red
piper

bogbeast
07-09-2007, 01:08 AM
I guess I'm done with goals for this month--I got out for the morning, and got another quick painting done, as well as a bit more on my larger, more complicated one. The only problem with all this painting is that I'm going to run out of paper soon! Well, not quite--I still have some of the dreaded Canson....

And, I'm not entirely pleased with the new arrangement of my pastel box. I think my cool/warm color sorting is majorly flawed, at least partially from sorting under different light conditions and from not checking colors on paper. I will try to refine it as I work, unless I'm willing to take half a day of "off" time to sort instead of paint! Hard choice.

Cindy, I will eventually have to figure out framing--I haven't produced much that is even remotely frameable yet. Even if I think they are keepers when I do them, within a week or two all I see are the weak parts.

So, my goals for the remainder of July, to paraphrase a character from Olivia's favorite movie: just keep painting, just keep painting, just keep painting.

Libby

Piper Ballou
07-10-2007, 02:08 AM
Libby...that is great news about your goals for this month...and it is only the 8th or 9th ....good for you

I have been also thinking of a new arrangement for my pastel box, which is still the orginial boxes.....

we are off to the San Diego Zoo tomorrow, I did not think this trip was actually going to happen but it all worked out....so my new goal is lots and lots of reference photos.....I have a new digital camera so this should be loads for fun
talk to everyone again this weekend
happy painting and just keep painting and painting (thanks Libby)
piper

CindyW
07-10-2007, 03:08 AM
Have a great time at the zoo, Piper! How long is the trip for you? Yes, reference photos will be abundant there for you! Digital cameras are the best investment I've ever made. They give you the freedom to click away without care....hopefully, you've got a 1 or 2 gig card in yours to let you take a large number of pix during this trip, a very worthwhile purchase.

Libby, I love that paraphrase! Now, all I can hear is Ellen D saying it to me in my head as I paint away these late nights. :) You have some great paintings to frame already.....I saw the ones you posted in the studio and they are great! Oh my gosh, sorting my pastels was so worth the enormous amount of time it took me for the goal of personal pastel feng shui. I LOVE having them sorted and can easily scan them all for exactly the color I need. I can't imagine not having them this accessible for my eyes ever again. I know all about time constraints though, so I hear you on that issue. And I guess we do need sleep every once in awhile. :)
Seeya...
Cindy

Piper Ballou
07-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Hi everyone, we are back from our trip...had a great time, took lots of photos.
I have three paintings I need to finish before I start on anything new....the red truck and a donkey I started so that will be my goal for this week.

Well, it is the middle of July....half way through, how is everyone doing
piper

bogbeast
07-15-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm doing pretty well, yet. Tweaked my elevator, and am calling it done. Went out today and did a beach scene, then sat at the coffee shop (outside!) to to a study off of a photo of a succulent--was trying to put it in a larger painting of oceanside plants, and it didn't "read" at all, so figure I'd better practice on the individual parts and figure it out. It's better, but still lacking.

And, it's very clear that my drawing needs a lot of work, so I'm adding that to my list. Kinda amazing that I've gotten so much done after such a long break--now I'm antsy to paint all the time!

Piper Ballou
07-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Libby...I have not seen your elevator yet...need to go on a hunt I guess.....

well, it is Thursday night and I have not painted at all this week, my daugther who is living with us mother in law is coming on Saturday so I have been cleaning, cleaning, cleaning....not what I would consider an art goal....but I am hoping tomorrow afternoon to work on either the donkey or the truck because by then I will be throwing everything into the closet and shutting the door...which I should have done in the first place....LOL
piper

eagle owl
07-20-2007, 11:17 AM
I wasn't going to do this as I only finished last month's goal yesterday but I got it finished. That has given me the push to try a goal for this month - July pastel stroke.

If I manage to finish that I want to do another pet portrait.

So two goals this time :wink2:

Carol

PS Well done bogbeast :clap:

Piper Ballou
07-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi Carol, Remember the story of the tortise and the hare....I bet your painting is great.
I always post goals, and sometimes I think it is to just write them down because that starts the progess in my mind, doesn't matter if you finish them in one month, two months, or in six months. As artists we have to be open to the creative juices too, if something is not working then try something else, I always believe in going with the flow, but sometimes I need that good kick in the pants to get me going too...LOL
and....I am glad you did set goals.....looking forward to seeing your projects this month...did you post your painting...I will check over in soft pastels
piper
piper

eagle owl
07-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi Piper

Thank you for the encouraging words.

Yes, I posted the paintiing in the June Pastel Strokes thread.

Carol

Piper Ballou
07-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Carol...I did post a quick reply in the June thread but also wanted to let you know how great your painting is.....looking forward to seeing lots more from you
piper

Piper Ballou
07-25-2007, 03:05 AM
Almost the last week of July....working slowly, very slowly on my goals. I did work on the one of the paintings I have started, just not making any headway at all....anyone have any ideas?
Dare not start on the pet commission I have, maybe in a few days
how is everyone else doing>
piper

CindyW
07-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi Piper and all,
Very busy!!
Just checking in after getting back from vacation.
The art show I'm part of is next weekend so I'm on the countdown to finishing what new pieces I've started. I cut foamcore backing, and picked up the glass for the frames yesterday, and picked up muslin fabric on sale to cover the wire gridwork panels that we just bought from a local guy who makes them.
Some of the foamcore pieces leftover were small and that got me thinking of miniature artwork to use up the small Wallis pieces along with the rag foamcore. Another day on that! :)

Cindy

Piper Ballou
07-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Hi Cindy,
I hope you had a fanastic vacation. We are going to southern Az next week for a few days.
I love your countdown days for shows....okay, I know it is not fun, but we usually get to see a lot of your work.....good luck.

Well, last week I finished one painting, I do not know if anyone remembers an arch garden I started, just had to have a few tweaks done, I tried to work on a donkey that I had started, just was not working out, will go in the pile of my learning paintings...and I tried to finish the red truck but it was not working either....not a good painting week for me.

Have a couple of things in mind, but will probably not get much done this week (taking a workshop for school)

As the month rolls to an end I hope everyone had a great July....and start thinking about next month....smile
piper