PDA

View Full Version : Untitled2

Old Tex
07-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Did this over the weekend. I did this once as a quickie, then decided to do it again and carry it to a finished piece. (Not sure what I'm doing wrong with the uploads. The verticals always look to skinny.) Comments are always welcome.

Gouache 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2007/100938-Untitled-2_copy.jpg

Seleeni
07-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Hi Ralph,

I really like the design--this circular flow around the painting. And it has the depth. Given that I'm an amateur critiquer, I don't know quite how to say this except that the colors don't quite meld together like your other paintings. Something about the bluegreen maybe? Sorry I can't be more specific.

Selene

Old Tex
07-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Thanks, Selene, I do appreciate you looking and commenting. I think we're all amateurs at this critique business. I appreciate your observation.

John Nicholas
07-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I like it. Its amazing that such simple view could become such a gorgeous painting. The composition is great, and the sense of depth and atmosphere, as always, is inviting. You have a knack for the development of space using color.:clap:

Old Tex
07-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi John. Thanks! Seems like I tend to use a limited palette most of the time, so I'm trying to push my color a bit. I really appreciate your comments.

meglyman
07-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Ralph,

I love how this is different for you. The blues are beautiful, and they give the painting a nice, serene, cool feel that your others don't have, because they're usually "hot." This one feels more like an old WA golf course than a TX one. ;)

The atmospheric effects are great, and I love the "roll" of the land in the foreground. I think Selene has a good point - the colors don't all meld together as nicely - I think because of the wider range? Could have something to do with analogous vs. complimentary... but I'm no color expert! Nevertheless, I like it a lot, and the color contrast gives the painting great depth.

Meg

Old Tex
07-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks, Meg. The only difference in the color palette here was the use of prussian blue instead of ultramarine, and a little more alizaran crimson instead of burnt sienna. Maybe that's it. At any rate, it was kind of fun to play with the colors and the light in this one.

maggie latham
07-06-2007, 06:33 AM
Ralph,
Nice one! I particularly like the light in and shadow areas.
Maggie

Old Tex
07-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks, Maggie! The more time I spend on landscapes, the more intrigued I'm becoming with light.

Eggy
07-06-2007, 10:02 AM
I particularly like the light coming from the right and the clear sky on the right...very well balanced. The fading background gives the whole composition depth.
Congrats, OT.
Eggy

Old Tex
07-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks, Eggy! I really appreciate it. Welcome! And thanks for looking and commenting.