PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Gouache/casein/tempera Paint Sketch JULY 2-8

maggie latham
07-02-2007, 03:48 PM
:wave:
Hello everyone,
As Judy is away I will go ahead and take charge of the weekly paint-sketch…if that is ok with everyone.
Last week we had some great art posted, it is amazing what one can do in a short time frame. It’s fun and gets us out of our comfort zone.

The Weekly gouache/casein/tempera Paint-Sketch thread is for ALL painters who use gouache, casein, or tempera. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some painting/sketching time into your week by completing a painting in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it is from life or photos. I have personally found it useful to use a kitchen timer and a hair dryer to speed up any washes!

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour or a little more, it’s up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60-90 minutes. You know how time flies when you’re creating! So, get your paints out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!

Can’t wait to see this week’s work, so get posting!

Maggie

maggie latham
07-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Hello Everyone,

I thought I would start off the sketch/paint thread this week. This is 9.5x5.5 on Arches 140lb cold pressed block, using sky blue, naples yellow, white gouache and a little naples yellow pinkish watercolor. Using a hairdryer, just over one hour. Two coats of spray Kamar varnish to pop the colors back.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2007/91114-WC_GOUACHE_SKETCH_2.jpg

Maggie:cat:

Seleeni
07-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Neat colors Maggi. Do you really do these vertically? I notice it's not as blended--on purpose or due to time contraints?

Here's my one hour sketch. I visualized it in my mind first (I do a lot of painting this way as I need to rest a lot), working out the steps. Then used the hair dryer speed it up. The design is just an excuse to try out these colors: Irridescent topaz (a greenish bronze) on some of the highlights. Phthalo green mixed with titanium gold ochre and raw umber, transparent orange, also mixed with phthalo green for the dark brown. Zinc white for the opaque parts, and a dark green watersoluble pencil in the darks too. Lots of texture on the 300 lb arches cold-pressed.

I'm so glad you've started this thread as this is a whole new experience.
Selene

Red flower, 8 1/2 x 7 1/2

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2007/91995-Red_Flower_72.jpg

Old Tex
07-05-2007, 05:55 PM
A neat one, Selene. Like the color in that flower! And it works well with the brown in the background.

Eggy
07-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Hello, Maggie !
I am very impressed with "sketch". It so happens that Naples Yellow is a must on my palette (immaterial if it turns brown after about one hundred years !).
Kind regards,
Eggy

maggie latham
07-06-2007, 06:02 AM
Hello everyone,
Selene, Lovely flower....I'm glad you are enjoying doing a new challenge. Yes, I usually paint a lot of my watercolors/ gouache landscapes to an upright easel, but this one was painted flat, as I had a pastel painting on my easel! I also used a different brush (an Old bristle brush and a bristle fan brush) for the sky, and not so much water. Also almost pure gouache instead of a mix of gouache and watercolor. It is not my favorite, but this post should be about breaking out of the box and having the courage to post new things. Eggy: thanks for your comment. I need to study more about which pigments do what over the years. Naples yellow in both watercolor and gouache is a workhorse for me.
Maggie

JeffG
07-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Hello, Maggie !
I am very impressed with "sketch". It so happens that Naples Yellow is a must on my palette (immaterial if it turns brown after about one hundred years !).
Kind regards,
Eggy

If true Naples yellow is lead-based, is it a good idea to use in egg tempera, from a safety standpoint? It's considered a very stable and permanent pigment, but highly toxic.

Does anyone make a true Naples yellow water-based medium paint? I know there are several hue mixes that provide an approximation of the color.

Eggy
07-06-2007, 02:50 PM
I was under the impression that Maggie's sketch was gouache and not ET per se.
Yes, it is true that Naples Yellow is best used in oil (even if it does brown with age) but not very good (health-wise) to use the "tint" in ET. There is no such thing as pure NY in ET.
Anyway, it is extremely unlikely that a whole canvas/wooden panel will be covered with NY ! There are far more toxic pigments to ponder about, particularly when grinded at home and used liberally, than NY.