PDA

View Full Version : cafepress to offer posters

centyr
05-15-2002, 05:40 AM
CafePress is going to start pirnting posters of work. I had been hoping for a long time that they would provide this service. Most of their other products just dont seem quite right for art work unless your highly collectable. My only complaint with the poster is the price. Their price is what i would want to start at but oh well. I will give it a try when the launch it.

Prices:

Posters

Gloss Paper
150 DPI
15" x 22" Base Price $11.99
23" x 35" Base Price $15.99

cory

timelady
05-15-2002, 06:30 AM
I came here to post this too! :) I think I'm going to give it a try for my markets this summer, but have them ship to my mom in the US and have her send them on to me. Cafepress's international shipping is VERY high.

Tina.

arlene
05-15-2002, 09:01 AM
what is cafe press and what's their url? it does seem a bit high.

centyr
05-15-2002, 09:36 AM
goto www.cafepress.com

nicoletta
05-15-2002, 09:37 AM
i would like to know too...........if i get a poster 23x35 it would cost around 30-40 dollars at the printers here, if not more

nicoletta

arlene
05-15-2002, 12:01 PM
Actually this looks pretty good...don't know about tee-shirts but the tote bags and coasters would be good...

have any of you used them before? do u have a store with them and can I see it? If you do, how have sales been?

BlackTigr
05-15-2002, 12:11 PM
I have a store with them, but I haven't really done all that much to promote it, per se. I am thinking of putting that url on my to-be-printed-soon business cards.

As for the posters, the 150 dpi seems to me to be hard to believe. When our Photo Stylus printer can do 2880, shouldn't a *poster's* dpi be higher?

--BT

CarlyHardy
05-15-2002, 12:31 PM
Arlene, I think this is where the tee-shirts and sweat shirts come from for Wet Canvas.

Be sure and give someone credit for the referral when you sign up...it helps their business. Then you can get referrals after you sign up!
carly

arlene
05-15-2002, 12:34 PM
thanks bt and carly...

now it's just trying to decide what to do...

as for the 150 dpi, i think printers use it to mean something else...i say that because when i had my slides scanned to disk and told them i was using the to make high quality repros, they said 150 was all i needed.

BlackTigr
05-15-2002, 12:40 PM
Well, alrighty, then. I will take a gander at the new products. It doesn't cost to put up a store, and it doesn't cost to put new items in, so I will see about that.

--BT

centyr
05-15-2002, 02:06 PM
dpi is one of the terms most people seem to have a hardest time getting a grasp on. when you speak of dpi, either in terms of digital images or printing, it is the same. dpi stands for dots per inch. sometimes it is also referred to as pixels per inch or ppi when talking about digital images. either way a pixel is still a dot so it the same as dpi.

so for an example if you have an image that is 72 dpi (which is what most web graphics are made at) you have a total of 72 dots per inch to make up the image. so if your image is say 3 X 3 inches you have an image that is 216 x 216 pixels or dots (3 * 72= 216).

now if you take this image and either print it or display it on screen at its original size of 3 x 3 at 72 dpi it will look like the original. however if you take the image and print it or display it at say 6 x 6 and/or increase the dpi your going to have what is called pixelation (or in laymen terms the blocky/fuzzy look images sometime have). this is because your image only contains 216 x 216 dots but in order for it to display the image at 6 x 6 at 72 dpi it has to come up with 864 x 864 dots. the only way to do this is to take the dots in the original image and copy them to make up the difference. so for this example for every one dot in the 3 x 3 image would have to be doubled for the 6 x 6. so if you had one dot of green in the original you would have 2 dots of green in the larger one.

actually making the image this much larger in the example, is not going to make the pixelation that noticeable but for easy of math and demonstration it will do.

the same holds true if you increase the dip and leave the image at the same 3 x 3 inches. it still has to make up the extra dots for the higher dpi because you have more dots per inch then.

so you have basically made the dots bigger to the eye which gives the image a blocky or fuzzy look. most programs try to compensate if you in large and image or increase the dpi by what is called sampling. it looks at the dots on either side of the dot it is going to create and then makes that dot's color half way between the 2 dots.

so if you sent and 3 x 3 at 150 dpi image to cafepress and wanted it to be printed at 15 x 22 inches your probably not going to be happy with the results. but if you sent it as a 15 x 22 inches at 150 dpi you should get a pretty good print. The same holds true if you send them a image that is 15 x 22 at 72 dpi you not going to be happy with the results.

so in conclusion 150 dpi should be great for the posters at cafepress if send them a file that is close to the dimension to be printed.

also if your dealing with a printer that is running an offset press or newspaper press there is also screen ranges but we wont get into that since it wont effect us. If interested in learning more about printing get a production art book or take a class in production art. ewww fun :)

wheeew i hope that made since and helps.

cory

nicoletta
05-15-2002, 08:29 PM
well cory,,,,dnt have to get the book on dpi,,,you said it all!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nicoletta

Sumafra
05-15-2002, 09:35 PM
Thanks Centyr, very good explanation.

kjsspot
05-16-2002, 12:09 AM
:::waving::: HI Cory!!

centyr
05-16-2002, 03:48 AM
nicoletta

really i just scratched the surface when it comes to printing and dealing with printers. There are other issues such as dot gain, moray(sp) patterns, color separations, how many colors you want printed, spot colors, pantone colors, bleeds, trapping and the list goes on and on. This is one of the reason why i decided not to be a graphic designer after spending almost 4 years in college majoring in graphic design. Just to much math and technical things to worry about, i want to create not be extremely technical. but for most artist unless they are into graphic design or dealing with printers to have their work produce knowing about dpi and how it effects the image will get them by.

sumafra

glad you understood my explanation. It was really the first time i sat down and tried to write an explanation of dpi. I understood it but to explain it to some one else is a different story. especially in writing which is not one of my strong points lol. but writing it also helped make the concept even more concrete in my own mind also.

kjsspot

:::waving back::: hi kjsspot. hope every thing is going good for you. :)

nicoletta
05-17-2002, 09:46 AM
sorry cory, i was just kidding around...i realize there is more to it than your explanation listed......must fine tune my humor( as well as the dpi):eek:
nicoletta

centyr
05-17-2002, 10:38 AM
nicoletta

no need to apologize. :) just thought i would let others know that there was much more to printing than dpi when dealing with printers (a fickle breed they are ) :) dealing with them drove me crazy lol.