PDA

View Full Version : Tips

archang3l
07-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Hiya again does anyone have any helpful tips for a calligrapher like me? I have been writing for like 2 years but its been off and on. I know a lot about it and know how to write various gothic types but when i look at everyone elses posts of their calligraphy it blows me out of the water and makes mine look very bad :lol:

here is some things about my calligraphy
1. usually bland just black ink (cause i havent seen different collored ones too much)
2. Im not much of a artist ( i cant draw well and thats what usually makes calligraphy amazing, the drawings within the words and the such)
3. I usually use a pen that u insert the ink cartridge in ( but i just bought a brand new dip pen with like 5 other tips, havent really had a chance to use it tho)

any helpful things with improving would be GREATLY appreciated

p.s. got a quick question where does everyone get their fonts do u make them up or just find them on the internet (like i do :D)

thx
God bless

Jakeally
07-05-2007, 01:02 PM
I admire anyone that does calligraphy. I have tried it several times but I just don't have the stamina for all the practice:rolleyes: :D
I would imagine that you will have to experiment with different pens to find the one you are most comfortable with and then it will be down to practice, practice, practice.
Read all the books you can find on the subject and research the internet for Illuminated letters.
Try to take a drawing class ... it would be enormously helpful to you
You are off to a brilliant start and I wish you luck with your journey:D :wave:

Penmoel
07-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Haia
You need to get away from the cartridge world, concentrate on the dip pens with the gouach (many colours), try and get some lessons it will point you in the right direction, nothing like one to one.
Wishing you well :wave: :thumbsup:

inkmonkey
08-01-2007, 11:16 AM
archang31

You should give nibs (dip pens) a whirl.... there is so much more flexibility.

And gouache opens up your world of color.

Just mix in distilled water until you get the consistancy of a "light cream" (like the kind you put in coffee or tea) then just a drop of gum arabic to add some binder and you are good to go. - Don't forget this wil dry as it sits so I just drop some nore water in to keep it creamy. You have all the control over your pigment.

I prefer Mitchel Knibs

A little tip - I also dip my tempered nibs in the gum arabic to give it a good bath.

Oh and make sure you boil the shelac (sp) off of the nobs too and then run the tip through a flame. ( I just stick them in boiling water for about 5-10 minutes - twice)

InkMonkey

scribblet
08-12-2007, 04:27 PM
archang31

You should give nibs (dip pens) a whirl.... there is so much more flexibility.

Oh and make sure you boil the shelac (sp) off of the nobs too and then run the tip through a flame. ( I just stick them in boiling water for about 5-10 minutes - twice)

InkMonkey
Exactly what I would say you didn't take a Reggie Ezell course did you :)-

I prefer Mitchell nibs too, but I tend to prefer brause nibs for uncial, and I nearly always use gouache to write with. The best colour to practice with is Cadmium red although it's one of the pricey ones I know.

Don't dib your pens, load the pen with a brush, and write on an angle, you get better ink flow that way.
cheers