PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE With Pen tablet

ANGHWAR
07-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Hello Everyone

If this is not posted in the right place I do apoloqize, I am in need of some help in choosing a pen tablet.

I see pen tablet sizes range from 4 x 5 to 12 x 19 for my desktop, can one even draw or paint on something as small as 4 x 5? I am not sure how much work I will be doing on the tablet but I do tend to work up a draft digitally before I put it to canvas. A dilemma as I am not sure what would be a good monetary investment. I definitely do not want to spend the money and find it is cramping my style and should have gone bigger, then again I am leaning towards the 9 x 12 and wonder if that is even sufficient or too overboard for my application.

Then besides the actual size what brand name should I be looking at for a quality tablet.

I mainly use Coreldraw and Painter X (really need it for Painter) and have been managing with the mouse but it is very difficult.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Painting

Anghwar

Wrichards
07-01-2007, 09:47 PM
I love my Wacom Intos-3 9x12" great size anything bigger would be over kill IMO. Highly addictive, overall its big enough for larger natural gestures while still being able to sit on your lap. Corel, PS etc all very natural. the only thing is I have it set to entire screen mode, so when I wanta click a menu somewhere I gotta "reach" for it :)

Elvira
07-01-2007, 11:26 PM
I would depend on what you can afford, The Wacom Graphir 4 X 5 or 6 X 8 With 512 levels of pressure sensitivity are fine, but, if you can go for the Wacom Intous3 the 6 X 8 if you have a single monitor or the 6 X 11 is even better the Intous is the pro model Pressure sensitivity. With 1,024 levels of pressure.

I started with the Daddy of Graphir the PenPartner (4 X 5) and loved it and if I had never had the opportunity to upgrade to an Intous GD (4 X 5 ) ( gift) I wouldn't have really have missed it however now that I have my Intous 3 6 X 11 that I got with my tax return a year ago I wouldn't trade it for any thing but another one :lol:

Here is the Wacom Web page they have a Tablet Selection Tool that will help you choose the best one for you.
http://www.wacom.com/index2.cfm

The active surface of the tablet is mapped to your monitor desktop and for the majority the smaller tablets work just fine once you get use to working with them and don't take up a lot of desk space.

My Intous 3 6 X 11 (that is the working surface) is approx 10 X 16 all together just to give an idea how much desktop it uses. However for those that must use larger sweeping arm stroke larger is always better.

I got mine so I could have my painter desk top on one monitor and my tools and pallets on my other monitor and not have a distortion in the aspect ratio and trying to to figure out the ratio so I could map it right on the little one was beyond my limited math capacity:lol:

The Wacom tablet will last you a life time, unless you want to just get the llatest and greatest, as the company keeps the drivers up to date for all model past and present it seems.
Edie

ANGHWAR
07-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Richard
Thank you so much for your input, you have what I want :lol: . I deliberately didn't put my make preference down so I could glean as much as possible, and Wacom Intuos 3 9 x 12 sound like the thing for me. Now to get to the talent that you have :envy: I want that too but I suppose I will have to start sweating :D. I checked out your artwork and it is absolutamente maravilloso.

Edie
Thank you so much for writing a book on my behalf it is very informative and now you make me think of saving a few dollars :lol: but I think with my waning eyesight the bigger the better :lol:. It is a lot of money to lay out though and I want to make the right choice. By mutual concensus it seems Wacom is the way to go.

Again thank you both for taking the time.

Happy painting

Anghwar

ANGHWAR
07-01-2007, 11:57 PM
BTW Richard meant to tell you all your painting have tremendous ENERGY!!!!

justjean
07-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Just wanted to say that the Wacom Intous 4 x 6 is great and as for eyesite half the time I am painting with only one eye and it's fine and it doesn't have a large footprint :)

Zazouse
07-02-2007, 04:06 AM
I use a 9x13 intous , i have a 22inch flat screen tv that i use for my monitor so i find it works out great.

I have used tablet on my laptop but found it to be a bit to big because i had to sit so far from the screen when using it, this made it difficult to see.

I would say if you have a small monitor then a smaller tablet may be better because you can sit closer to the screen.

justjean
07-02-2007, 07:39 AM
The 4 x 6 size is fine on both my 23" flat screen and my 19" laptop :)

Smokin
07-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Hope this helps.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310274

ANGHWAR
07-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Thank you so much for your help. I have a 20" screen, and I think the smooth transition would be a 12 x 9. Can't see myself producing a larger painting on a 6 x 8 my brain is too small for that I think :lol:. I would like to be able to make more natural strokes if that makes sense.

Again thank you all so very much for your help,

Happy Painting

Anghwar