PDA

View Full Version : Crocus Woods

chammi kaiser
07-01-2007, 01:52 PM
I have been wanting to paint these woods for some time. The trees and the crocus fields are just so lovely here in Northern Germany. There was a wonderful organ grinder playing away on an antique organ beneath one of the trees. However, I felt he deserved to be painted as a portrait which I intend doing some time. Have sketched him. This was painted with liquitex acrylics on mountboard and is 24 x 32 cms. All c and c's welcome .
Thank you so much for looking. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2007/39224-68._Crocus_woods_2.JPG

Assaf
07-01-2007, 02:06 PM
This is nice. It's the third painting on the subject I've seen this week - must be the season.

debsn2paintn
07-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Very pretty, I really like the colors, and the focus in the middle of the painting where the sun is shinning on the field, really like this!

idylbrush
07-01-2007, 02:19 PM
great drama and feel.

jan409
07-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Beautiful, I love the colors, makes me think of spring or early summer. Jan

clementine
07-01-2007, 04:21 PM
HI Chammi !I very like the way you have painted the foliage!the blue parts are very attractive too!nice painting!
clem

C_Line
07-01-2007, 04:44 PM
I love the lacy quality of the trees...super.

idcrisis55
07-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Chammi, love the patterning of the foliage and the way you paid special attention to the negative spaces in this painting, The one thing I noticed is that the front trees appear to be the same values as the trees farther away so that creates less feeling of depth even if the distance is minimal, at least to me. Overall though, I like your painting very much for it airiness and patterns of color and negative space.

Charlie's Mum
07-01-2007, 05:12 PM
I do like this Chammi - the colours and style are lovely.
I like the light on the trunks - my one tiny crit would be that we see too much of the middle distance tree trunks - some of the foreground branches and leaves would cross them to break them up a bit:D

chammi kaiser
07-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Assaf. I guess it is just one of those things. I think what attracts artists are those vast spaces of bluey mauve against the warm contrasts of grass and sunlight.

Deb. Thanks for looking in and commenting. Really appreciate it.

Jan. This was in Spring . The crocus fields last for such a short time. Sadly! Thanks a lot.

Clem. Hi there my friend. I must admit that this was simply an exercise in painting negative spaces between the foliage using the blue of the sky. I think this is just too pretty pretty really - trying to be more powerful with my work.

Celeste. The lacy quality was my main exercise - trying to achieve a lightness of touch and a sense of spring rather than summer. Thanks for commenting. Glad you noticed.

Ann. Thank you very much. You are absolutely right. I must admit that I painted this in just over an hour - more of an exercise in negative space than really taking note of everything. I can change this and maybe in a week or two will. Needed some real good advice. Thanks.

Maureen. Thanks . This is the kind of crit I am looking for. Only way to improve. Great advice. Will work on those branches. I see exactly what you mean.

edtree
07-01-2007, 08:50 PM
This is very nice! I especially like the way you've painted the grasses and blue flowers. WoW! Painted in an hour! I'd love to be able to paint as well and as fast! :D

Elizabeth

Linee
07-02-2007, 02:00 AM
"Elegant" would be my word for this. The painting has a beautiful, almost feminine, quality to it.

eyepaint
07-02-2007, 02:04 AM
Wow! Great detail on all the foliage. You've got the patience that I don't have to work on this type of detail. I get a sense of distance and that there are distant rolling hills. Great job. :)

chammi kaiser
07-02-2007, 06:11 AM
ELIZABETH: Thank you very much. I did a few WC sketches before starting off so knew what I wanted to do - then able to go for it quickly.
LINDA: I am glad you notice the feminine quality in this. I always think of Spring as a feminine season, all those trees in their delicate underwear. Thanks so much for calling this elegant!!!
EP: Actually, I am not really a patient painter. Once I get going, I just want to finish. I do however, sketch the subject several times before embarking on the painting itself. The negative shapes (the sky) went quite quickly. Thanks a lot for commenting.

plec
07-02-2007, 06:15 AM
Chammi congratulations on a really nice piece of work.
Best wishes, Ken.