PDA

View Full Version : In the Pack...WIP

gaykir
07-01-2007, 10:22 AM
I feel like I have been working on this for months - but it has only been a week or so. It is taking forever and I'm still not finished. Hoping I can finish it this week.
This is 24" X 36" gallery wrapped and is yet another departure from my usual style. I'm enjoying it for the most part but this is not nearly as easy as it may appear! Your comments are welcome - I've looked at this tiil I can't see it anymore??!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2007/56079-120_In_the_Pack.jpg

edtree
07-01-2007, 10:30 AM
:wave: Hi Gail!

I know what you mean about a project seeming like it's taking months, lol! Looks as if you're rounding the finish line on this...the only thing that jumps out at me are the flesh tones. I'm thinking some darker values might be what's missing. Hopefully the experts will be able to tell you for sure.

I'll be back to see and learn! :D

Elizabeth

jan409
07-01-2007, 10:49 AM
gayle: I think this is a great sports painting. Colors are wonderful. Jan

N.Wiley
07-01-2007, 11:12 AM
It's looking great Gayle! :clap: I wondered were it was then saw this post and wa-la :) I will learn my way around this board yet. I too got to a point where I thought my bikers would never get done. These guys are more difficult than they look, huh? You are almost there.

Added: By the way I shoed it to my husband, he is the obsessed biker here, and he LOVES it :)

debsn2paintn
07-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Very colorful, and I like the style of it! Very nice.

idcrisis55
07-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Gayle, I first saw this in the WOYE and I'm glad you posted it in its own thread. I really like the graphic look you have going. As has been suggested, maybe using some of the darker skin tones you have in the main figure's face to give a bit more emphasis to the arms and legs would give those areas a bit more form. You are definitely on the right track and look forward to the finish.

C_Line
07-01-2007, 05:01 PM
I don't think I'd have such patience to paint all those precise shapes so neatly...well done Gayle.

gaykir
07-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks you guys! I agree the flesh needed some more contrast. I did some work there and added some to the limbs. I think it works on the arms but the legs are difficult trying to keep in mind which direction they are in relation to the pedaling. Not sure this worked - hopefully you guys can help. I am finished for the day! I was planning to grill steaks for dinner but the sky is turning black yet again!! We do not need any more rain in Dallas!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2007/56079-120_In_the_Pack.jpg

C_Line
07-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Ugh, we don't need it in Tulsa either Gayle...wettest June on record, very strange.

clementine
07-01-2007, 05:55 PM
I very like the way the effort can be read on the face!I very like the comp and the colors make it even more attractive!:thumbsup:
clem

idcrisis55
07-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Clem expressed it, the look of effort on the faces really does the trick for me with your painting, not to mention the shapes, composition and the way you painted it :D. The addition of the darker colors made a lot of difference in its look.

edtree
07-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Great job Gail. You did a great job adding some darker flesh tones. I think the legs look just fine. The painting has a lot of movement and fresh color. You did an excellent job on it and should be very proud! :clap: :D :clap:

Elizabeth

dreamz
07-02-2007, 07:10 AM
looking good 2 me, I seldom do any people so I can't help with the flesh tones other than to suggest multipul layers of thin glaze. The shadows that you have on the arms all look the same or very close in shape and shade. At first I thought there was something wrong with the lead riders upper arms but after looking closer I realized that the dark bands on the shirt was throwing me off, they blend into the following riders or at least do in the size I can see here, perhaps theres more difference IRL

gaykir
07-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks to everyone for your comments and encouragment! I am calling this done. My husband is about to die of starvation if I don't give this up! At one point I thought of a series but now I am thinking I need to inter-sperse the series with some pieces that are less time consuming. I never dreamed when I started that this style was this difficult!!! You live and learn huh?
Gayle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2007/56079-120_In_the_Pack.jpg

ms.jennamarie
07-02-2007, 07:33 PM
i really like the graphic qualities in this. ther shapes and color are wonderful.

C_Line
07-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Very nice finish Gayle.

N.Wiley
07-02-2007, 09:14 PM
It really looks great! I too love the bright colors and how all the shapes come together. I say, as difficult as it was, it was well worth your effort and time. Let us know what the relatives think :) I give it :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
07-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Like the finish, Gayle. You carried it off beautifully.

Andun
07-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Great action piece Gayle!! Makes me want to get up and do something:)

gaykir
07-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks y'all for your comments. I think I'll do something small and easy next - although I have two more big "project" ideas stewing. One involes the tranfer of an old photo and the other is a Triptych...........

Jon
07-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Nice! It took be aback for a moment as it looks just like my good friend, Paul (an avid cyclist), in the lead there. Well done!