PDA

View Full Version : Quick Dry Cafe 7/1 to 7/7/07

idylbrush
06-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Time to start, time to begin again.

Café LoLa
07-01-2007, 01:41 AM
Just a continuation from last week's cafe...

Anyway, depending on how long you cook it will determine how firm the jam is. How to tell if it is ready is to allow an aliquot to cool on a saucer and you press the edge of it. If it wrinkles then it is firm enough.

Aliquot? The scientist in you speaks.

Have you got a good jam recipe? Strawberry season is over here, but raspberries are coming up, and I want to get some raspberries soon.

laudesan
07-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Hey every one. Thought I stop in for awhile..:)

Aliquot is a drop of jam put into a saucer of cold water I think. ;)

Berry Jam recipe..

Raspberry Jam

3 cups raspberries fresh or frozen
2 3/4 cup sugar

Put the berries into a preserving pan and cool slowly until juice runs from them.
Bring to the boil. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
Boil briskly for 3 - 6 minutes.
Pour into sterilized jars.
Jam forms up after a few days' storage.

Makes about 2 x 350mil jars.

Always use a wooden spoon to sir and for more berries just double or treble the mix..:)

Strawberry jam
1 kg / 2lbs strawberries, hulled
6 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons tartaric acid

Put strawberries into preserving pan
Crush lightly with a potato masher or fork.
Add sugar and stir in thoroughly.
Bring to boil and boil 5 minutes.
Add tartaric acid and boil rapidly for a further 5 minutes.
Pour into sterilized jars.
Makes 3 x 350mil jars.. (1 cup = 250 mil..

:wave:

Café LoLa
07-01-2007, 04:30 AM
Aliquot is also taking a sample for chemical analysis or other treatment, too. Hence the scientist remark, which kind of ties in with the DNA discussion on last week's thread. :)

Hmm... preserving pan? We don't have that here in Canada. I think. We crush berries.

laudesan
07-01-2007, 04:53 AM
What do you cock your jams in? http://www.cucinadirect.com/go/Product_2896.html;jsessionid=aoYFdUgfko58

:)

idylbrush
07-01-2007, 08:52 AM
I just found this two part glazing video on You Tube. It is done in oils but it still is a good tutorial of the process. For acrylics there needs to be some adjusting but overall it is a great demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0YRFI_7-V4

idylbrush
07-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Lola, if you google "recipe strawberry sugarfree preserves" you will get a bunch of recipes. What I found rather interesting is that some of them don't call for pectin at all but a gelatin base instead.

I also found this: http://www.pomonapectin.com/

Very interesting stuff.

Lady Carol
07-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Aliquot is also taking a sample for chemical analysis or other treatment, too. Hence the scientist remark, which kind of ties in with the DNA discussion on last week's thread. :)

Dictionary def: Chemistry, Pharmacology, Science. comprising a known fraction of a whole and constituting a sample: e.g.an aliquot quantity of acid for analysis.

Testing for setting:
Put a little of the marmalade or jam on a cold saucer, wait 20 secs, and then run one of your fingers through it, making a track. If it crinkles at the edges and the track remains, making two separate portions, it is ready.

Or alternatively, spoon a little of the jam onto a cold saucer and leave to cool. It will wrinkle when pushed with a finger if the setting point is reached.

I like this strawberry jam recipe as it isn't as sweet. I don't have a raspberry jam recipe.

Strawberry Jam.
500g strawberries
2 cups sugar
juice of 1 large lemon

Put the strawberries in a bowl with the sugar for 3 hours. Pour off the liquid into a saucepan add lemon juice and stir over low heat until he sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and then boil gently for about 7 mins. Add the strawberries and boil for about 15 mins or until the setting point is reached.

idylbrush
07-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Someone a while back was asking about making dark lines on their work. I remember Alfred using a curved brush. It was amazing what he could do.

So, I got out a script brush or liner brush, soaked it in water for several days with the hair/bristles in a curved position by holding the brush in place with a spring clothes pin. After a few days it appears to have set a curve.

With the curve pointed down, I loaded the brush with liquid acrylic. I did thin slightly with water and upon thinking about it I may have wanted to use water with flow enhancer added.

Let's see if the video is working to see a short demo.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/hcowdrick/?action=view&current=curvedbrush.flv

I would say that it may take a bit of time to get all the elements right but it works. I think a smaller line would require a smaller brush.

Just an experiment and a thought.

PS, it does run against my nature to hold the point down but it didn't take long to get a hang of it.

Lady Carol
07-01-2007, 09:54 AM
I just found this two part glazing video on You Tube. It is done in oils but it still is a good tutorial of the process. For acrylics there needs to be some adjusting but overall it is a great demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0YRFI_7-V4
Done by our very own WetCanvas! dcorc (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/member.php?u=30792)

She is a popular figure on WC!

Chiers did one (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346631&highlight=sophie)

and alfredart did a workshop (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4825112&postcount=55)on the beautiful Sophie

Lady Carol
07-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Howard, you are a lefty.....:D

idylbrush
07-01-2007, 10:51 AM
:)

Café LoLa
07-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Laudesan - I cook jam in an ordinary pot. :)

Carol, Laudesan and Howard - thanks for the recipes. Howard, the pectin sounds very similar to what I used. But it doesn't list the actual ingredient/nutritional component so I can't compare this one with the No Sugar Needed pectin by Bernardine (Canadian brand, I believe).

I didn't think to take an aliquot like my mom and grandma did. But the jams have firmed up overnight, so it works. It won't be sweet, but at least I can give one to my Dad, a diabetes; and another one to a friend whose mom is diabetes as well.

gaykir
07-01-2007, 05:20 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2007/56079-Dallas_sky.jpg
I just want to say I'm sick to death of the rain! It's 3:15PM and look at this dark sky yet again!! We have enough flooding already!

idylbrush
07-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Doing some research this afternoon I came upon a gallery I thought sounded quite interesting. It had a most amazing flash presentation of the interior of the gallery. Past, current and future show descriptions. Press releases galore and tons of descriptions.

In the 12 to 15 pages I looked at I saw 2, yup, count'em, two works of art. Is it me or is there something a bit on the short side here?

Gaykir, we had an afternoon shower. Something I have been hoping for for over a month now. This means I don't have to use city water to do my plants. It is the blessing we have been waiting for. It has been a rough few months with only a dribble here and there and very rare for the past 6 months. The summer showers mean a green garden for me.

Paulafv
07-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Gayle,
you have had entirely too much rain. It's a shame we can't order our weather. We in the northeast have had too little rain and in Massachusetts we have been on a fire watch for a few months.

There's nothing cheerful to say about it, except you don't have to worry about fires for a while. And, white vinegar is a very good mold inhibitor/remover, if the mold isn't severe. It's also anti bacterial, anti viral, and good for many useful things. The info on About.com about vinegar and baking soda is outstanding. I've often wondered why it is not recommended to sort of sterilize fresh fruits and veggies against germs and other buggies.
Just a mixture of fresh water and white vinegar should clean most anything.

I just wish the price would go down to 99 cents again, but...hope you get some sunny days soon. It's just cannot rain forever. Best wishes for better weather.

laudesan
07-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Laudesan - I cook jam in an ordinary pot. :) Hey please call me JJ..:)

I have a big pot for my pasta sauce and cooking shell fish, we call it a stock pot here, and an open preserving pan for Jams and fruit bottling/preserving..:)

Those recipes were from the NZ Edmonds cook book and I grew up on them.. My Mum had a huge pantry and it was always stocked full of preserves..:)

I have a yummy chocolate cake recipe for the microwave if anyone likes it.

Who likes chocolate..;) :p

Café LoLa
07-01-2007, 07:39 PM
JJ - Yep, got a stock pot. For jamming, I think we just use a large sauce pan OR a stock pot if it's a lot; and we have a canning pot which is basically enamel-like pot with basket with handles for pulling the jars out. It's fun to see what others call their basic kitchen utensils around the world.

I like chocolate but believe it or not, I"m not crazy about chocolate cake. Go figure.

laudesan
07-01-2007, 07:45 PM
I would LOVE one of those caning pots, I have seen one on the web when I was searching for canning tongs. We call it bottling..:)

I am not fond of chocolate cake either but this one is so moist it melts in your mouth..:)

stoney
07-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Just a continuation from last week's cafe...

Aliquot? The scientist in you speaks.

Have you got a good jam recipe? Strawberry season is over here, but raspberries are coming up, and I want to get some raspberries soon.

A generic one is combine a cup of berries (especially Thimbleberries!) with a cup of sugar and stir in low heat (no boil) for 15 minutes.

idylbrush
07-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Chocolate! Me first, me first.

My grandmother made a chocolate cake with buttermilk. Oh my what a treat. Very moist and delicious. I make the same cake but use special dark cocoa instead of cocoa.

laudesan
07-01-2007, 08:01 PM
LARGE RICH MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE

2 eggs 1 + 1 ½ cups flour

1 cup brown sugar ¼ cup cocoa

1 cup milk 1 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup oil 1 teaspoon baking soda

¼ cup treacle

Beat eggs, brown sugar, milk, oil, and treacle together.

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.

Beat into egg mixture to form a smooth batter.

Line the base and sides of a microwave ring mould with baking paper or greaseproof paper.

Pour in cake mixture.

Elevate and cook on 70% for 12 minutes. I put mine on an upside down saucer.

Leave in container for 5 minutes on wooden board before turning out.

Cool and then ice with chocolate icing or fill with strawberries and whipped cream and sprinkle grated dark choc over top.

Chocolate Icing.

50 g butter

2 teaspoons water

1 tablespoon cocoa

1 tablespoon milk

about 1 + ½ cups icing sugar

Put the butter, water, cocoa, and milk into a glass microwave mixing jug.

Microwave on high power for about 1 + ½ minutes or until the butter has melted and mixture thickens.

Add icing sugar, beating to combine.

If necessary more water can be added to give a spreadable icing..

I have made this cake many times and I have had no-one not like it so far..:D

It is so quick and easy and the kitchen smells divine when it is cooking..:)

Enjoy!!

Cheers JJ

Lady Carol
07-01-2007, 10:58 PM
There goes my diet :lol:

C_Line
07-01-2007, 11:58 PM
cool video, Howard, I didn't know you were a south paw either! Oh, yeah, what were we learning about? (Just kidding)...I like the video clips.

Oh yeah, enough about chocolate already folks. Since I started painting the exercise has gone down the tubes but I have a nice skinny right arm!

idylbrush
07-02-2007, 09:23 AM
chocolate is our friend. Filled with all sorts of goodies to make us feel better and, and, and.....

laudesan
07-02-2007, 09:25 AM
chocolate is our friend. Filled with all sorts of goodies to make us feel better and, and, and.....:D :p :thumbsup:

N.Wiley
07-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Time to start, time to begin again.

Okay, what exactly goes on here in the Quick Dry Cafe? Is this the place to just "chat" or ?

Lady Carol
07-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Okay, what exactly goes on here in the Quick Dry Cafe? Is this the place to just "chat" or ?
Definitely anything is allowed that is permissable in the user agreement of course.

Chat away, or...?

idylbrush
07-02-2007, 04:42 PM
OK, so anyone out there got their iPhone functioning yet?

idylbrush
07-02-2007, 05:46 PM
A quickie through the garden.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2007/36241-Pineapple.jpg
Pineapple

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2007/36241-roopaws.jpg
Kangaroo paws. Lots of green no buds yet. :confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2007/36241-travelerpalm.jpg
Palm tree is showing some great new growth.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2007/36241-airstream2.jpg
Home for the next few months.

C_Line
07-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Look at those cute little pineapples...I like your purple fountain grass too Howard...does it stay all year there or die end-o-season like it does here?

idylbrush
07-03-2007, 09:04 AM
I see that prismacolor has introduced a new line of markers that are acid free, archival and come in a fine line marker, metal case. I just got an ad on them and they sure do look appealing. I am wondering if they would work with the acrylic mediums. Don't see why they wouldn't.

Certainly worth investigating.

laudesan
07-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I just came home from the Salford Waters 2007 Annual Kingfisher Art Show.. I have 4 paintings entered. 2 frogs my wine glass and grapes and A watercolour (sailing) It is not a judged show, but it is a show for Ar Galleries to see your work and decide if you are worth a go.. All the proceeds go to the Angel Flight (http://www.angelflight.org.au/) this year.

We had a ball My Grandson Reece and my husband came with me..:) It is late here but I am still on a high...D

idylbrush
07-03-2007, 10:06 AM
JJ, what a wonderful event. I would be flying high as well.

What an event.

Any nibbles?

Wish we had an event like this in the States. We either go one on one or we go for the mega events with galleries, publishers, printers, art consultants, auto mechanics and electricians. These events can cost an artists in the thousands, yes with an s, range.

laudesan
07-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Yup lots of nibbles hot too..:) I am all nibbled out..

There were nearly 700 works of art here. Acrylics - Watercolour - Oil - China Painting - Pastel - Threads on Fabric - Wood carvings - Photographs on Canvas - Clay - Paper Tole - Pottery - Glass - Mirror - and some Jewelery.. It was pretty Awesome..

LOTS of Red Dots. None on mine yet but hey that is alright there is 4 days to go, and at least my name and art is being looked at..:D

C_Line
07-03-2007, 02:50 PM
How EXCITING JJ!

Faded
07-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi Everyone,
I just received the"you haven't posted in a while" notice,life's been getting in the way, as I'm sure you all understand.I just made the trek up to the Museum of Fine Art in Boston to catch the Edward Hopper exhibit. If you are an admirier of his work, and get a chance to see this show in a town near you, by all means, go. It was excellent, really enriched the soul. I finally got to see one of my all time favorite paintings, "Nighthawks". When I visited the Art Insitute in Chicago last fall, it was on this tour, and I missed it.. Not this time! :) The attached pic is the entrance to the exhibit, the original is a bit smaller...lol Take care everyone, I'll be back with something new soon...
-David

idylbrush
07-03-2007, 08:58 PM
David, how long is the show there. I will be up that way in September and would think seriously about going to see the show.

Well folks, it is that time of year again. I am heading out hopefully on Thursday. Friday at the latest. I will not have much opportunity to check in much so will catch as catch can.

thank you all for your patience and kindness. See you in the late fall.

Honest I will try to stop in now and again but it will be slim.

stoney
07-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Yup lots of nibbles hot too..:) I am all nibbled out..

There were nearly 700 works of art here. Acrylics - Watercolour - Oil - China Painting - Pastel - Threads on Fabric - Wood carvings - Photographs on Canvas - Clay - Paper Tole - Pottery - Glass - Mirror - and some Jewelery.. It was pretty Awesome..

LOTS of Red Dots. None on mine yet but hey that is alright there is 4 days to go, and at least my name and art is being looked at..:D

I take it the red dots indicate paintings which have sold.

Hi Everyone,
I just received the"you haven't posted in a while" notice,life's been getting in the way, as I'm sure you all understand.I just made the trek up to the Museum of Fine Art in Boston to catch the Edward Hopper exhibit. If you are an admirier of his work, and get a chance to see this show in a town near you, by all means, go. It was excellent, really enriched the soul. I finally got to see one of my all time favorite paintings, "Nighthawks". When I visited the Art Insitute in Chicago last fall, it was on this tour, and I missed it.. Not this time! :) The attached pic is the entrance to the exhibit, the original is a bit smaller...lol Take care everyone, I'll be back with something new soon...
-David

I recall seeing that one either online or in a book. Intriguing.

laudesan
07-03-2007, 09:37 PM
I take it the red dots indicate paintings which have sold.Yes..:)

Faded
07-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Howard, the show runs thru August 19th. Hope you get a chance to catch it, have a great summer.
-David

Clever
07-04-2007, 03:35 PM
OK, so anyone out there got their iPhone functioning yet?

Howard....you didn't!:lol:

idylbrush
07-04-2007, 03:50 PM
sure didn't. I need a phone that makes phone calls, not movies, tunes, photo albums and internet.

Good looking unit though and I am most impressed with the ease of use and the design.

Clever
07-04-2007, 04:11 PM
sure didn't. I need a phone that makes phone calls, not movies, tunes, photo albums and internet.

Good looking unit though and I am most impressed with the ease of use and the design.

I hear next week they're coming out with the Iphone 2.0 anyway so if you bought this week it would have been obsolete this! :evil: This one is supposed to make calls, I hear!

Café LoLa
07-04-2007, 04:31 PM
we can't get iPhone outside of US anyways... so pthhh!!!

laudesan
07-04-2007, 08:49 PM
rotflol Howard I am with you..;)

I am going to be a proud owner of a blackberry. i am so excited. My daughter is upgrading hers in October so she is giving it to me. My dear old nokia is 3 years old and been through the washing machine. it works just..:D :lol:

acrofford
07-04-2007, 10:25 PM
I actually work for Sprint. I wouldn't use a Blackberry if they gave me one. I do love my Treo though. I am thinking about giving it to my wife and upgrading when the 755w comes out.

rotflol Howard I am with you..;)

I am going to be a proud owner of a blackberry. i am so excited. My daughter is upgrading hers in October so she is giving it to me. My dear old nokia is 3 years old and been through the washing machine. it works just..:D :lol:

idylbrush
07-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I almost got a blackberry last year. A friend got one and he immediately became a crack berry. He couldn't put it down. It was amazing.

laudesan
07-05-2007, 12:38 AM
I actually work for Sprint. I wouldn't use a Blackberry if they gave me one. . Why?????

acrofford
07-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Why?????

Treo > Blackberry

laudesan
07-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Treo > Blackberry :confused:

Clever
07-06-2007, 09:11 PM
David, how long is the show there. I will be up that way in September and would think seriously about going to see the show.

Well folks, it is that time of year again. I am heading out hopefully on Thursday. Friday at the latest. I will not have much opportunity to check in much so will catch as catch can.

thank you all for your patience and kindness. See you in the late fall.

Honest I will try to stop in now and again but it will be slim.

Who will open the Quick Dry Cafe early? :confused:

Lady Carol
07-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Me usually, when H is away. I stickie them every (well most) Sunday mornings. Not to worry it will still run as usual.

I am hoping to meet up with Howard next week. I am really looking forward to that. Knowing someone through cyber is one thing but knowing them personally is another.