PDA

View Full Version : Classical Art Bird Gallery

Nickel
06-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Welcome to the Classical Art Forum

Bird Art Gallery

Please post your past or present finished bird art here.

Nickel

Finnegan18
07-01-2007, 11:04 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2007/96641-Wood_Warbler_Botanical.jpg
This is after a botanical (not sure the artist) from an old book of botanicals. It is in watercolor.

tyree
07-02-2007, 05:14 PM
:clap: finnegan...beautifully done...the colour is so vibrant, and i like the simplicity of it...!!! tyree :clap:

Finnegan18
07-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Thank you very much. I love the dancing smileys.

Garbonzo
07-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Nickel, I don't really consider myself a classical artist and I am very flattered that you feel my owl would go here. It is a Great Horned Owl done in watercolor on 9x12 clayboard. Thank you for the invitation. I hope everyone enjoys it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2007/92796-GH_Owl_wip_4.jpg

Garbonzo
07-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Finnegan, I see you are good at color too.

Finnegan18
07-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Finnegan, I see you are good at color too.
Thank you. I love your owl.

Nickel
07-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Finnegan18,

Your botanical is a charming watercolor!
Very vibrant :thumbsup:
I like how you documented the bird and bush in your handwriting.
Pretty!

Garbonzo,

Thank you for accepting the invitation to post
your Great Horned Owl here.
It is just breathtaking!
I'm glad I was able to see it and enjoy veiwing it very much!:thumbsup:

:wave: Nickel

tyree
07-04-2007, 02:14 PM
:clap: harold...beautiful job on the eye and feathers!!!! stunning..tyree

Garbonzo
07-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Nickel, thank you very much, I really am grateful for the invitation and the super nice compliments.

tyree, thank you,, you are most kind.

ValorieCox
07-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Great thread Nickel!

ooh Harold, beautiful owl, I love the shades of colors in the feathers. Thanks for sharing!

Finnegan, lovely botanical, this would make a great series!

Val

Garbonzo
07-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Thank you Val, a venue to enjoy birds is pretty neat.

Finnegan18
07-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Great thread Nickel!

ooh Harold, beautiful owl, I love the shades of colors in the feathers. Thanks for sharing!

Finnegan, lovely botanical, this would make a great series!

Val
Thank you Val! Long time ago went on a botanical kick.

PushingPixels
07-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Lovely!! Yes Finnegan this is a classic pose you see many of the naturalist take (the bird in his envirionment) well done. And Garbonso your Owl is stunning, did you know they can rotate their heads in greater degree than any other creature. Almost 180 in either direction. Awesome creatures.
Birds of Prey are my favorite!
pixels

PushingPixels
07-07-2007, 03:07 PM
here is a Blue Jay I did about a month ago but I think his body is a little too long. He is a tall one LOL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2007/44004-BlueJay.jpg

ValorieCox
07-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Lovely style Barbara! Val

tyree
07-08-2007, 02:58 AM
:wave: barb...gorgeous colour on your jay...very nice!! tyree

Nickel
07-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Barb, what a nice surprise to see your Blue Jay! :thumbsup:

It's good to see your work again! Nickel

Mony G
07-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Nice stuff going on in the Monthly Challenge.. too bad I am busy working on some other subjects ... mostly nude !
I still have to find the time to start my bird!

Mony G
07-15-2007, 10:03 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/77963-d38d.jpg

Sorry as I had some problems in uploading a picture in my first post !
This is a past bird work of mine : a sketch study of my little Bee-Bo ...a baby swift I took care of since it fell out of its nest newly hatched (a cool story...)!
Other past bird work of mine ... ( some of you Classical active members perhaps remember them well...)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/77963-643861171_8dd1a55dd4.jpg

the peacock soft pastel copy from Botticelli which started all the peacock work last year !
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/77963-644721376_6259704914.jpg

The Xmas soft pastel robin which took part to the virtual Xmas tree decorations here on WC!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/77963-644720180_69ff6c013c.jpg

My favourite one ... soft pastel Hummingbird !

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/77963-643857851_4c30942c9d.jpg

...and the Kingfisher !

:wave:

http://360.yahoo.com/rgosparini

tyree
07-15-2007, 02:00 PM
:wave: mony...these are stunning...i love the kingfisher..what a grande bird...tyree:heart:

Nickel
07-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Mony it is nice to see your birds together!
They have a sweetness to them, your sweetness!

artastic
07-19-2007, 11:52 AM
I did this Night Heron for a WDE this month
it is painted on 1/4 sheet arches in W&N paints
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2007/104250-night_heron-s.jpg

artbyjune
07-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone. I enjoyed looking at all the birds in the gallery!!

I was experimenting with palette knife painting yesterday and today. More or less an 'abstract' approach- but a bird did emerge so I thought he might go here OK?

'Kingfisher and rabbit', alkyd oils, 5 by 7 ins on black gesso-ed paper.

I like the effect so I am keen to try more knife painting.

Nickel
07-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Artastic your Night Heron is lovely!
Thank you for sharing here! :thumbsup:

I think that composition is fantastic!

June your knife painting turned out a pretty bird & rabbit :thumbsup:
Keep it up!

ANGHWAR
07-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi everyone

I am in the process of this little fat bird finding a place to land in pastel, I still have to work on the back feathers and of course the placement of feet and background. I know I will not get to finish before the end of the month as I have a blockage as to what is going to be in the unfinished areas. I am so afraid the bird will become secondary to the rest, so I have given him a rest.

I hope you will forgive me for posting an unfinished piece.

Happy Painting
Anghwar

artbyjune
07-22-2007, 02:37 AM
Beautiful bird, in glowing colours, anghwar. Interesting to see what you do with his background.

ANGHWAR
07-22-2007, 03:21 AM
Thank you June, I have a front row seat to see how the background turns out :lol:.

Nickel
07-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi Anghwar, what a big fat bird! :lol:

I like the light on the breast, nice color combo too.

Good luck with picking out your background.

ANGHWAR
07-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Nickel I am so happy you like my fat bird, a friend sent me the photo and I thought, man he went way down south for the winter, I have to paint him.

Anghwar

ANGHWAR
07-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi Folks

Here are my blue birds, I did them a few years ago. It is pastel on Ingres about 8 x 12

Anghwar

Nickel
07-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Anghwar, I love the detail in this one! The birds look really sweet, and the birdhouse looks so 3-d! Thank you for showing this one! :wave: Nickel

ANGHWAR
07-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Thank you so much for your comments Nickel.

I think this one is my favorite of my feathered friends, but we will have to see what Fatbird does when he finds his feet, he may just jump into my heart and kick the blue birds out :lol: .

I would also like to say that I love the diversity of the bird paintings on this thread, each one has it's own suberb qualities. So difficult to single one out.:thumbsup:

Anghwar

Nickel
07-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Anghwar, hi, I :heart: the diversity here too! :D

I don't single any one out, just :heart: them all :D

I'm glad you are posting your birds here. :thumbsup:

They are delightul!

Now as a side note, is everyone up to another challenge for next month?
Are you tired, naw, I doubt it, you all are the best :thumbsup:

As much as I've loved doing the birds, I am ready to spread my wings,
hehe,
as fly to something new.........what do you all want to do next month?

Anybody want to host the next one? I am sure there will be a very long line
of people who want toooooooooooooo :eek: :lol:

Oh by the way, anyone can still post to these threads after the month is over
these threads live on.................:wave:

ANGHWAR
07-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Well I have another little bird I can share with you, I hate to admit I got bored and still need to tidy up the roses. His name is Cardy (oh how very original :lol: )

Happy Painting
Anghwar

azulparsnip
07-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Anghwar - your birds are great. I like the one on the nestbox roof, the way the diagonals intersect and the I can nestle in the soft feathers of the bird. I keep wanting to look at the cardinal's legs-poised and ready to take off if I make the wrong move.

ANGHWAR
07-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Azulparnip thank you so much for the compliments, I am glad you like them.

artastic
07-29-2007, 12:58 AM
here are some birds on cardstock I did for this months challenge
(just got under the wire)

the first two are herons done on 140 lb 4x6 cardstock with WN paints

great white heron: ref photo by jlharis from the RPL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2007/104250-white_heron.jpg

green heron: ref photo by lisilk from the RPL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2007/104250-greenheron.jpg

and finally the falcon is posted in the monthly challenge by Nickel
he is done in derwent graphtint pencils and some WC pencils
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2007/104250-falcon-g.jpg

\

ANGHWAR
07-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Bonnie

Your birds are delightful.
I like the bird on a wire.

Anghwar

tyree
07-29-2007, 02:45 PM
:clap: :clap: anghwar...not only are you birds gorgeous, so are the backgrounds..!! ~~bonnie...beautiful work, love the falcon...tyree

ANGHWAR
07-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Susan thank you so much for your encouraging words.

Happy painting.
Anghwar

Nickel
07-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Anghwar, your red bird is beautiful! Those legs do make the posture! :D

Nickel
07-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Artastic :clap: :clap: :clap: Three!!!!

The white heron is awesome, very nice indeed! You captured this bird's emotion. :)
The green heron is cute, I like everything about this one too, including
the barb fence!
You did great with the falcon! He looks soft. I like the eye.
And I like the way you detailed his powerful toes. :wave: Nickel

ANGHWAR
07-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Nickel

Thank you so much for your compliments, you warm my heart.

Anghwar

artastic
07-30-2007, 04:02 PM
thanks Nickle, the birds were alot of fun (I love painting birds)
thanks for the challenge

66bevbon
10-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Hi bird lovers!
These are paintings have done which include birds. The first two are oils on canvas 16" x 20" of Albatross chicks on the island of Kauai. They are just starting to get their white plumage as you can see the white tufts. These are huge birds, adults having a 6' wing span. These chicks stay in one place all alone for days (on golf course, in people's yards etc.) while the parents fly out to sea to get fish for the chick. At this stage the chicks are close to 2 ' high.
The next painting is an egg tempera on wood panel 18" x 12" of "Island Moa" wild descendants of the chickens that the ancient Hawaiians brought with them in their outrigger canoes from polynesia when they first inhabited the Hawaiian islands about 500 years ago. On Kauai these birds are "top of the pecking order" as they have no natural enemies and they can be found most everywhere on the island!
The 4th painting is of a Japanese White Eye, a watercolor 14" x 11", a small canary like bird imported from Japan and they thrive in the Hawaiian islands. This one is in an Octopus Tree.
The last painting is also a watercolor I finished here in Illinois and is a Great Blue Heron. It is 14" x 29"

Comments please!

66bevbon
10-22-2007, 02:22 AM
Just one more bird!
This is also a Blue Heron. The painting is an oil 16" x 20" on canvas. I painted this in an oil seminar following the instructor as he painted. I was just starting in oils so this seminar helped me to learn how to paint in this new medium for me. We had to complete the bottom half on our own, so I had the river going to the right, added Hau which are a mangrove type of vegetation found at the edge of rivers on Kauai (the rounded leaves bottom left). As I had seen herons before standing on rocks in rivers there, I went online and found a heron to paint. Afterwards our seminar group returned with our finished paintings and they were all very different.

Comments?

66bevbon
10-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi bird lovers!
I am posting paintings I have done regarding birds. The first is "Great Blue Heron" 15" x 29" watercolor.The second is "Albatross Chick" 18" x 24" oil on canvas. The third is "The Blue Heron" 16" x 20" oil on canvas. The fourth is "Island Moa" 18" x 12" egg tempera on wood panel. The fifth is "Japanese White Eye" 14" x 11" watercolor.

Nickel
10-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Hi 66bevbon! Your art is a delightful addition to the classical art bird gallery!
Thank you for posting your birds! They are very virbrant and beautiful!
I can't pick a best, they are all good! I certainly enjoy seeing them!:thumbsup: Nickel

jk4493
10-29-2007, 03:30 PM
This is a fun thread! Love the diversity of the work...Here are a couple of birds I have done - the parrot is my pet parrot, Divo - done from a photo; others done from taxidermy specimens in still life set up...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2007/73273-Grey-Parrot.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2007/73273-WhiteFrontedGooseUNFRMD0609.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2007/73273-StillLifeWithJayStonewareU.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2007/73273-AntPitta.jpg

66bevbon
10-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi Janine!
I checked out your website and I particularly like your
"Red Scarf" (her eyes are wonderful!), "Eli"(looks totally lifelike and I like the angle it is taken at) and the still life "Jay and Stoneware Pitcher". I like the dark background and lighting.I am uploading a couple of paintings of mine. These were both from photos in National Geographic which I cannot sell as they are copyrighted, but were great to paint! "The Nun" is an oil on canvas and I gessoed the canvas and sanded so it was a lovely smooth surface to paint on. The second painting is a pastel I call "Deep Thoughts". Like you, I like a portrait to "tell a story". One thing that I want to accomplish is lighting like these two paintings and your "Jay and Stoneware jug". I bought a camera recently,but I know very little about photography or studio lighting. I want to have a good contrast between light and shadow. Do you have any recommendations on how to attain this? Should I be photographing in a space that has dark walls? I had wanted to create a dark space when I photographed my "Candle Lit Still Life" but the walls in our dining room are a light cream color and I ended up using light from 2 directions. I feel that I should have a single light source and a dark space to photograph in? What is your experience? (I hope you don't mind me asking for your input!) I came across a beautiful wedding dress that has lace on fine netting with taffeta on the layer beneath. I want to find someone to model it for me and want to photograph it using the "Old Master" one source lighting surrounded by dark. It will not be a typical "happy bride" painting, likely it will be of a bride "being portrayed "left at the alter". I have uploaded the dress hanging in my closet so the snapshot isn't showing the whole dress.I figure if, as and when I do this painting I will do it in oils and jesso the canvas as I did in "The Nun". Do you find the linen canvas is better for portraits then regular cotton canvas? I have never used linen and perhaps it is not necessary when I jesso to a smooth surface. What are your thoughts on this? My website is www.beverleybonner fineart.com in case you would like to check it out.
I look forward to your reply!
Beverley

Nickel
10-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi Janine your birds are just beautiful!
I really like each one. They are so special and awesome in their own way.
Thank you so much for showing them to us! They are really sweet.

artbyjune
11-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Beverley and Janine, your birds are all wonderfull. I particularly like the chickens in tempera (66bevbon) and the still life set-up (jk4493).

bev, I haven't done anything in tempera for ages, and then only a couple of people portraits, I feel like getting the dry pigments and the egg yolks out again!!

Janine, I haven't done much in the way of still-life and I admire the way you have a living bird in your set-up.

Mony G
11-07-2007, 10:03 AM
..Did I remember to post my "Little Owl " in here ? ... I think I posted it in the Monthly Challenge ... but I didn't here...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2007/77963-the_little_owlmmmm.jpg

Have a great time .. i thought this thread was closed !

Mony
my art diary
http://360.yahoo.com/rgosparini

jk4493
11-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks so much for the warm comments, Bev, June, Nickel... means especially much coming from a group of such formidable talent! Bev, I sent a longer private note to you - not knowing if everyone would be interested (I got a bit wordy!)

Nickel
11-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Janine I'd be interested in knowing. :)
Wordy is good. :)
Pictures are good too!
I'm sure others would like to talk about this but just might not see it in here (this thread).

We can split this off into a new thread if you and Beverley
both agree. Just say so.

Nickel
11-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Mony your owl is sweet! I like the soft texture! :thumbsup:

Nickel

66bevbon
11-10-2007, 03:20 PM
New thread, Nickel? By that, do you mean that we start a new topic that is about the same thing or something different? I'm game for anything! Just let me know!
Beverley

66bevbon
11-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Here is one more of my paintings containing birds. These are NeNe geese on the island of Kauai (in the Hawaiian islands) where I lived for a number of years. Kilauea Lighthouse is in the background. This spit of land is a bird sanctuary and the Ne Nes fly back every evening and spend the night in this sanctuary. The NeNes are few in numbers and close to extinction. I did this 9" x 12" oil on canvas as a sunset scene depicting the geese arriving home for the night.

Nickel
11-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi Beverley,

I meant a new thread in the main forum
about the same questions you asked Janine.
And her answer. It'd help others. :thumbsup:

The NeNe geese are amazing looking birds.
It's nice they have a bird sanctuary for protection.
Thank you for showing us.
It's a beautiful painting!

:) Nickel

BabyBeeb
11-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Hey, just stumbled upon this thread ( I usually hang out in the pastels arena) and found these beautiful bird paintings! I want to share mine too!

This is "Strawberry" who sat for me long enough to photograph and paint. His owner commissioned this one. 24 x 18. pastel on suedeboard.
Thanks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2007/50118-Strawberry_Parrot.jpg

66bevbon
11-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Hi Brenda,
Your parrot is beautiful! I quickly checked out your website and I love your pastel work! Your scenes with water are wonderful! I have done very little pastel work in recent years, although I started out in that medium. I noticed that you have used sanded paper, which I just discovered a few years ago and far prefer to Strathmore or Canson paper that I originally used. I was intrigued that your gorgeous parrot is on Suedeboard as well as some other pastels that you painted. I am unfamiliar with that and it sounds like it would be great to paint on, more similar to sanded paper than regular paper. I checked out a few art supply stores online and couldn't come up with suedeboard. Where can I find it? I would love to check it out!
My website (in case you are interested) is www.beverleybonnerfineart.com
I hope to hear back from you! It is great to get in touch with other artists whose work I really appreciate!
Beverley Bonner

BabyBeeb
11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi Bev,

Glad you like him!
Suedeboard can be found at your local framer. It is acid-free matboard that is the sueded kind. Nothing more special-er than that! It has a soft tooth that lends well to blending, can take layers, and using soft pastels and pastel pencils will work great on this board. Never spray with fixatif, I think it ruins it!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2007/50118-Millie.jpg

I have two other bird portraits, but can only find one at this time. For now, here is "Millie" pastel on suedeboard, 24 x 16"

artbyjune
11-20-2007, 06:27 AM
Brenda- I love your soft pastels. That cockatoo is gorgeous!! My favourite bird. I just ordered a box of landscape unison pastels so I am looking forward to them arriving. I had been using some Rembrandt pastels to start me off but the colours I had were mainly pale. I hope my landscape set has richer colours!!

Nickel
11-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Brenda thank you so much for showing us Strawberry & Millie! Awesome!

:) Nickel

BabyBeeb
11-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi June: Thanks for the kind "words on my birds". Ha! I hope you like your new pastels, they should have intense colors, unlike the word "pastel" as most would consider it to be. Hope to see you over in the Pastel forum.
Nickle: You're welcome.

artbyjune
02-03-2008, 03:04 PM
A 'violet turaco' from the WDE...1 feb 2008. Thought I'd post my bird from this weekend here. I love saying its name...:lol:

Its soft pastels over gouache, 10 ins square, on gessoed paper.

azulparsnip
02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
lovely, June...and done in 2 hrs......the background and cocked head are great, not to mention the eye echoing the berry color, and the shading on the body are delightful.... ..

artbyjune
02-05-2008, 03:55 AM
Thanks azul, I loved the photo of this bird as soon as I saw it. I'd love to see one IRL.

Nickel
02-05-2008, 04:03 PM
June, Awesome bird!I like that cocked head too! :)