PDA

View Full Version : Rolling hills - WIP landscape

rmc
06-28-2007, 07:47 PM
I am very excited :lol: -I had an idea for shadow play and found this gorgeous image on flickr and have been given permission to base a painting on it - have never attempted somethhing like this before, but I have a plan.
This is the first very rough layer blocking in colours after a raw umber wash to define the basic shapes of the hills.
I will then layer very thin glazes of colours - hope to eventually get some of the glow of the late afternoon sun as per the reference......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2007/83066-land.jpg

This has been kept very much in the browns and greys tones but will glaze 'cleaner' mixes over the top - have also kept the value range mid tone at this stage so that I can hopefully get to the correct value with the glazes without overdoing it!!!!:wave:

Finally as I didn't have a long canvas (and there was a protest from family about gessoing over a prev. painting) I am using a 50x 60 cm canvas and leaving a 7 cm border at the top and 11 cm border at the bottom - will paint these a warm graded brownish band I think - that may evolve - aso open to suggestions!!!:wave:

jan409
06-28-2007, 08:19 PM
This is wonderful, I have a picture I took in South Centeral Kansas, close to the Okahoma board that kind of looks like this. Yours is sun set, and mine was sun rise. You have done a great job, as ususal, on this one. Jan

idylbrush
06-28-2007, 08:20 PM
It has a great deal of atmosphere as is. Can't wait to see where it leads.

Linee
06-28-2007, 08:29 PM
I'll have to peek in on this when I get back from vacation.

Lady Carol
06-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Having a plan is half the battle. Watching this with interest.

Paulafv
06-28-2007, 09:37 PM
You are a joy and delight. I hope your family appreciates you as much as we do.

Lulu
06-28-2007, 11:15 PM
You are a joy and delight. I hope your family appreciates you as much as we do.

She is irl too Paula!

Ruth, keeping an eye on this...........

rmc
06-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Ohhh!!!! Guys - you give so much love!!!!!! thanks - am actually meant to be packing / moving - but keep thinking I can squeeze one last painting out.....:lol: :wave:
There must be a 'painters anonymous' group for people like me where my addiction can be helped :lol: :lol: :lol:

C_Line
06-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Yup, Jan's right, reminds me very much of the drive between here and Bartlesville...north of Tulsa. Open rolling hills, no trees...rather barren looking, but hauntingly beautiful. I imagine long ago when Bison roamed those plains. Anxious to see this progress...excellent start!

amaze_1101
06-29-2007, 01:51 AM
There you go again, reaching outside the box for more adventureous creativity. You're a joy to follow Ruth.

This will be yet another beauty.

rmc
06-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Here is an update - this will be it for tonight - children's birthday party - first of many this weekend.....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2007/83066-land2.jpg
sorry photo is not that great as taken at night - wil post again tommorrow wit a tad more done.

KimRF
06-29-2007, 09:56 AM
I, too, have lived in that part of the US (Ponca City) and find this painting has taken me back to that place. Keep going with your wonderful work.

If you find that PA group, let me know :)

rmc
06-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks Kim - this is actually from Australia - the view is from the lone fir road on the way to Forster in northern new south wales.
We have hills like this down south - closer to where Elaine (Amaze101) lives - In NZ they are barren probably due to the settlers burning off the original bush only to discover the soil was not that great for anything other then grazing.

Hi Elaine and Celeste - thanks for all your encouragement -sorry didn't comment earlier - really squeezing all this in around the edges now!!!!

if the sun comes out again - will try for a photo which shows the colours better.....

1100ww
06-29-2007, 07:44 PM
great painting!

there is also a place like this in california, i think...i've never been able to figure out exactly where it is. one time on a road trip, we veered off the main highway, and ended up taking a 40 mile detour through some winding hilly landscape, that was absolutely beautiful. almost didn't even look real--very round hills that almost looked like something from an animated movie.

rmc
06-29-2007, 11:37 PM
An update from today - sort of getting there
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2007/83066-land3.jpg
thanks 1100ww - these are sort of existential landscapes .....

C_Line
06-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Ruth, this is SO exciting and fantastic! Very Thomas Hart Benton looking to me...I love it, and isn't it amazing how so many people from so many places in the world relate to it's ambience?! The lavendar glimpses brushing the hills are awesome.

rmc
06-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Thanks - Celeste - you are doing a great job on your first day as a guide - congrats!!!! (hope you're still getting time to paint!)

We just bought our first house by auction today... so I'll remember this painting for finding us a home..... maybe that landscape that is so familiar to all of us was a GOOD OMEN!

Linee
06-30-2007, 12:59 AM
These hills seem to be almost rolling....literally! A very other-worldly feel.

I'll be seeing similar sights when I travel out west, through several plains states, soon!

Andun
06-30-2007, 03:20 AM
:wave: Ruth,
One time you said you liked how I did waves.Your painting looks like the way I do them.:thumbsup: Nice broad strokes.This is really shaping up nicely.I get a real feel of open space and warmth from it.
Tony

amurphy
06-30-2007, 09:49 AM
This is looking like a scene from "Withering Heights" by Bronte. Very intense, windswept, open moores in North England, with not a lot of trees.

Congratulations on the new home!

Charlie's Mum
06-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Those land forms are really taking shape now Ruth - smooth and rolling.
The colours are good too - nice mixtures of different hues.

So how soon do you move house?

LisaArt
06-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Oh Ruth, this is something so different and I love where you are going with it! Good luck on the move!

Selahs art
06-30-2007, 07:00 PM
stunning painting

Retha

edtree
06-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Your painting has such great flow. Perfect detail and lighting on the little grove of trees and the smooth hills are lovely, Ruth! :D

Elizabeth

rmc
07-01-2007, 01:56 AM
Thanks guys - looks like the title rolling hills is well apt then :lol: :wave:
We have to move out from our present house on Friday - but the new house isn't available until 4th Aug - so we'll prob stay in a motel close to the house so the children can go getting settled in the new schools - it's midway through our schooling year.
It's all go in our house today with my best friend rushed into hospital to have her baby by urgent ceasarian as she has pre eclampsia so her kids here as well as our very successful horse ridding b'party for my daughter......

But NO painting today!!!!!

laudesan
07-01-2007, 02:42 AM
Hey move over Lulu..:) I want to watch too..:)

:wave:

rmc
07-01-2007, 04:33 AM
JJ and Lulu - you have me cracking up - it's not a pretty sight and I talk too much to concentrate when I have company -(ask Elaine - she'll tell you....) I've found the art classes I've done this term great for the wine and chat - but my instructor must think I pay some one else to actually do the painting judging by how little I do in class!!!!

pix
07-01-2007, 09:38 AM
thats great painting.
i'm interested to see the photo u taken reference from.

pix
07-01-2007, 09:40 AM
hey bytheway seen your flickr gallery.
amazing, loved the seaside paintings.

debsn2paintn
07-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Ruth, you are a busy girl! I hope the move goes well.

When I used to take Tole Painting classes I used to do more visiting then painting too. And would actually paint when I got home.

Hope the move, and the kids new school all works out really well :)

Oh and this painting is looking really pretty!

jan409
07-01-2007, 02:48 PM
This is developing wonderfully. I love it more each step. Jan

C_Line
07-01-2007, 04:48 PM
I hope your move goes well Ruth. Can't wait to see your updates.

idcrisis55
07-01-2007, 05:01 PM
I've been following your progress on this painting and I'm enjoying it tremendously. I hope your move goes very smoothly and you get settled into your new place ahead of schedule.

rmc
07-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi guys, thanks for all the good wishes - am being very focused now on moving - especially as we have a lovely home to live in now..... once all the jobs ticked off - will maybe get a chance to paint (school hols at the mo - eeks - you'll understand all of you with littlies trying to get packed up!!!!)

Pix, here is a link to it on flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walla2chick/404337424/

laudesan
07-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Gorgeous.. I hope you post the final here too tho' as some folks don't like to open external links..;)

T.Patrick
07-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Vary nice, they remind me of the rolling hills where I live. (Moscow. Idaho. US)