PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! [advice needed...]

cagathoc
05-14-2002, 02:24 PM
Hey eBayers,

I need some advice...

In Feb, I sold 9 paintings, in Mar 12 and in Apr 9. Now for the past 3 weeks only 1!!! :(

In Feb, I didn't use FP. In Mar I used it heavily, and felt it in the profit margins. This month I have used a mix of reg and FP and am in the hole!!!

I was starting always at $49 but then I lost some really nice pieces at that price, so I tried using combinations of $49, $69, $79 etc. It cost me $30 just counting materials and eBay fees per painting - so the $49 paintings for these oils are killing me.

I am lost now. I can't figure out a good system. Any advice????

THANKS!!!!

Cindy

arlene
05-14-2002, 03:24 PM
I too started out like gangbusters on ebay in April and now I can't give it away...sigh...

I think it's just the after tax return slump...and mothers day...usually artwork picks up again in the last two weeks of may and goes good till the end of june...

after that, you're better doing outdoor shows for the summer...

then fall should be good from sept-end of oct...

no one hardly buys art for holiday presents...and jan and feb folks are in a slump paying off the creditcards...

no this isn't insight from ebay but from 5+ years of doing art shows.

cagathoc
05-14-2002, 04:20 PM
Thanks, Arlene.

I didn't know what the hell happened all of the sudden. I guess if you already have a group of collectors on eBay, you wouldn't notice as much.

CarlyHardy
05-14-2002, 07:55 PM
Actually, I've noticed a big slump in the past month. This week has been the first week that I've seen bidders...but not a lot of multiple bids.

And I am offering free shipping to US bidders. I did raise my starting bid a bit to make up the difference for the postage....but even with that things are slow!

Cindy, I noticed that you were using reserve prices and from my experience bidders don't like to out guess the seller to find your reserve. Some of the [email protected] artists put their reserve amounts in their descriptions to let bidders know what it is....but I think that defeats the purpose of it.

Don't know if there's an easy answer. Personally, I'll just keep being consistent with what I know works...listing paintings that I can afford to sell in the $30-$50 price range...Sometimes they do get multiple bidders and go for more! But if not, I can still make a small profit. I've decided that with ebay quantity is the way to profits...not bigger selling prices.

carly

CarlyHardy
05-14-2002, 07:56 PM
Just wanted to add...even the sellers with a good following have noticed the slump this month!

arlene
05-14-2002, 08:34 PM
funny and i just offered one of my new drawings with a reserve...i did it so i don't scare them away immediately...

figures I start and the sales slump... :rolleyes:

arteitaliana
05-14-2002, 08:41 PM
It has been really lousy...welcome to the club, Cindy!! Hits are quite good but bids...what are bids? For the first time in monhts I relisted today a pastel that did not sell. Thanksgod I had a reserve or it would have sold for peanuts.... I had to let go a 16x20 oil on canvas two days ago for $27...it was also FP.
Just the canvas costs me $10!!
So...I am playing around with reserve, featured, non featured, BIN, $1 minimum...nothing seem to work. The beginning of April was quite good and then around the 15 everything stopped.
ARGHHHH!!:mad:

Ginette
05-14-2002, 08:54 PM
The last 2 month have been the worst I have seen since I started in 1999. That slow down on EBAY bidding is similar to people being careful investing right now etc. Especially those that would normaly spend more money.

I have stopped posting for a while. I just paint and hope the economy will pick back up.

Right now it seems the only bidders are those that want something for nothing.

Some sellers sell quicky type paintings for 20 dollars or so they are still selling something.

Many bidders that look for stuff they can resell, look for that bargain basement art. That's not for me.

I personally rather hold on to my work until times get better. I can't make myself do 20 minutes paintings just does not feel right to me.
When I spend 3 or so hours at least usually much more time, on a piece, I sure won't sell it for $20.00 bucks. The materials alone that I use cost more.

I have never seen EBAY so slow, but I try to keep reminding myself that by the time things get better, I have lots so sell. :-)

Ginette

Shai
05-15-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by arlene
figures I start and the sales slump... :rolleyes:

same here! :eek:

arteitaliana
05-15-2002, 01:24 AM
I think that Ginette is right. I will stop listing as well until things pick up. She has a wide and faithful customer base and if she still does not get decent prices, there must be something wrong somewhere. The economy ? After tax time? Vacation planning? Who knows....
A few weeks ago I could list for $1 with no reserve and end up selling for over $200. Today if I did that the piece would sell for $1!! I haven't listed with a reserve since july last year...there was no need, and I know that bidders don't like a reserve price. Now I need it to ensuren that my work does not sell for next to nothing. I don't think is fair to the people that bought for a decent price a few months ago. Featured plus does not get any more hits in the middle of the auction period than a normal listing, soooo...it's not worth the money at the moment. I hate not to list...I am addicted, but I have to be strong and maybe get addicted to someting else...absinthe maybe? LOL!! Then I would be a real bohemienne starving artist.

cagathoc
05-15-2002, 07:10 AM
Carly, Ginette & Rita,

Thanks so much for sharing your stories (and the advice)! It's greatly appreciated.

Cindy

timelady
05-15-2002, 05:07 PM
Glad to hear it isn't me. (well, not glad for you guys of course) I was going to post a "what's wrong with my listings?!?" thread I was getting so depressed. And I'm one of those people who will do 20 minute paintings - even those aren't selling. I've decided to take a step back to my early good selling days and am pulling out the figure paintings. I don't do them at all anymore but am going to try to spend maybe a day a week doing one or two. Nudes sell (at least for me), that speaks for itself.

*sigh*
Tina.

walden
05-16-2002, 12:18 AM
Well, I don't know if it's an influence, but the stock market has been nuts lately-- up and down 2 to 3% in a single day. From Jan - late March, it was up 6%, then it just fell off the truck, going to down 2% for the year in early May. It's recovered some, but like I said, the volatility is crazy. It's especially annoying because all indicators say the real economy is recovering nicely. Who knows, maybe we'll get a summer rally and everyone will feel rich, so our sales will pick up. Let's hope!

Sumafra
05-17-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by walden
Who knows, maybe we'll get a summer rally and everyone will feel rich, so our sales will pick up. Let's hope!

Let's hope so. Yeah!!!

tammy
05-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Just when I think I have a system or have it figured out the buyers prove that I don't! LOL