PDA

View Full Version : In My Pink Hat at Magic Sands

lani noa
06-27-2007, 04:18 PM
I spent some time in the color mixing and theory forum studying about Color Harmony, Balance, understanding how to properly mix my colors with a much more limited pallette. I wanted to understand how to get depth of field, loosen up a little so it wasn't so much like a photograph, and make the focus pop.

I finally went for it with this painting. Any critiques or guided input would be gladly welcome. This is a 20"x24" on canvas. Morning light around 10AM. I am sorry the photo isn't sharper, ...I tried a number of times and just couldn't get a crisper image.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2007/63271-DSCN1990.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

SunsetSue
06-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Misty this is quite charming. I like this a lot.

Charlie's Mum
06-27-2007, 05:15 PM
It's very cute Misty:D
The colour is excellent - well done there. Love the sense of light.
Without seeing your ref, I hesitate to say, but there seem to be a couple of anatomical issues - minor ones!
And does the sand slope down to water there?

MaloCS
06-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Very nice. I love the serene feeling I get when looking at this piece.

I'm expecting my first child in the next week and it's true what they say, "You can't fathom the love a parent has for their child until you have one.". Mine is not even born and I find myself gushing over images like this.

:) :thumbsup:

lilbelle
06-27-2007, 05:47 PM
I love the sense of movement with the water and the colours and reflections are wonderful!

Linee
06-27-2007, 06:17 PM
I can't stop looking at this! So adorable...so well painted...lovely, lovely colors...and I love that chubby belly!

jan409
06-27-2007, 06:20 PM
This is great. I think you did a wonderful job with the colors. Jan

idylbrush
06-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Interesting how close you came to fulfilling the needs of the "rule of thirds". Great color and great sense of time and place.

edtree
06-27-2007, 08:10 PM
I love this! You've done an excellent job; such a sweet subject. I am especially awed by the color of your flesh and flesh shadows. WoW! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Elizabeth

C_Line
06-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I love this too...nice how you allowed the warm colors to dominate your focal point as well as the detail there.

lani noa
06-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Thank you all for your kind words.

Without seeing your ref, I hesitate to say, but there seem to be a couple of anatomical issues - minor ones!
And does the sand slope down to water there?

Maureen: I am wide open to the anatomical issues, though they be minor I really want to understand, so please go on... If your eye lands on something and says something isn't quite right here, whether that way in the photo or not, I want to at least look at it. Photo's, as wonderous as they are, are not the answer to whether something looks correct to your eye or not.

As to the sand, yes the sand does slope down to the water. It is an interesting place. If we get any real active waves the whole beach just disappears and there is nothing there but rocks. When the waters settle down again the sand gets redesposited.

Interesting how close you came to fulfilling the needs of the "rule of thirds".
Howard: I do not know the "rule of thirds", could you tell me about it.

idylbrush
06-27-2007, 09:44 PM
You'll find it more in photography but it can apply to painting as well.

Check this out...
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/rule-of-thirds/

I also took a moment and did an overlay on your piece so you can see, hope you don't mind.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2007/36241-thirds.jpg

If you find this at all interesting you may want to read Dynanmic Symmetry by Hambige. It works with the golden mean and whirling squares. Mathematical equations for sizing and layout of canvases. It is just a little something interesting to contemplate.

eyepaint
06-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Wonderful colours and a soft feel. Look at the little belly sticking out :) Kids are so funny.

Paulafv
06-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I love it all: colors, composition and cute as a button baby. So, maybe the closer arm could add a tad to the elbow to make it look the same length as the farther arm, but not a big deal. The whole picture is delightful.

gaykir
06-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Love the tummy and good job on those water wings (or whatever they are called).

lani noa
06-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Harold: Thanks for that information on the "rule of thirds", I guess I kind of knew that information from photography through taking many pictures. It was interesting to read about it. I see what you mean. And don't worry about using my pictures for demonstating what you are saying, I am always open to that.

Maureen: Sorry, I was unable to upload the image. I thought I had previously, but it wasn't there. I have tried again with the image properly sized, as in your post, but to no avail, it would just go to an URL request.

rmc
06-28-2007, 08:47 AM
yes - love the pallete the pink is right at home there - love the warm colours, the certainly pop her!!!!
congratulations on this delightful painting

Andun
06-28-2007, 10:00 AM
What a sweet little child.I think you have done a wonderful job here with your limited pallette

idcrisis55
06-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Your time learning and mixing colors paid off, big time. I really enjoyed looking at your painting and the harmonious use of color. The skin tones are soft and I like the way you painted the shadows. I have a photo very similar to this of my granddaughter which I have quickly sketched but have yet to paint. I hope you post more of your work so we can enjoy it.

TxAggieDarlin
06-28-2007, 10:53 AM
I love the tummy too...ok, well, I love the whole thing

kristinbbold
06-28-2007, 02:15 PM
What a wonderful painting! I just love the whole thing and think you did a fabulous job!

1100ww
06-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Nice lighting!

Charlie's Mum
06-28-2007, 05:32 PM
It's mainly that front arm Misty - where her arm goes into the arm band - I couldn't (in my mind!) work out the sharpness of the 'join'!
I know those arm bands are funny things/shapes to encompass the round arm ....that's why I wondered if the ref showed it like this (and it probably does!)
The other bit - tiny! - is the hand holding the stick - I wondered if the chubby little fingers would be very slightly more proud of the edge of the stick.
As I say, these really are tiny things!
The whole ambiance of this painting is delightful :D

lani noa
06-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Thank you all for you sweet comments ...I love the tummy too! The colors of the skin I learned much about by reading Chris Saper's book "Painting beautiful skin tones with color & light". I found it a very informative book.

Maureen, finally got the picture to upload, so here it is. I see where maybe I should extend the fingers just a little bit so they appear to be going aroung the stick, this I will do ...thanks. As to the water wings, I'm not sure what you mean, could you reiterate.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2007/63271-DSCN1925.jpg

Lady Carol
06-28-2007, 09:34 PM
How wonderful. Clearly the lessons in colour mixing have paid off very well. I love what you have done with the painting. You have really caught the essence of the painting.

Charlie's Mum
06-29-2007, 07:20 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2007/30494-Misty_ptg.jpg

Hi Misty - I downloaded both to check - I've ringed the arm area - can you see how it should curve a little more into the elbow? As I said, a tiny adjustment:D
I also looked at the feet - and think that either the forefront foot could darkened moe on the sole, or the back foot highlighted more on the top/front.
Hope this helps!

PS - Isn't she a little darling? :D
And thanks for the book ref.

lani noa
07-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi Maureen,
Thanks for your critique! I finally got around to working on this again, worked on the the elbow, shoes, and the hands. I now feel she is pretty much done though am, as always, open for suggestions!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2007/63271-DSCN2083-1CC.jpg

CamiTampa
07-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Misty, well done. I like this one alot. It's a great subject that's well painted.

Cami

laudesan
07-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Absolutely beautiful painting, I love the movement of the water flowing around the baby.. :clap:

Charlie's Mum
07-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Beautiful Misty - pretty near as perfect as any could be I reckon!
What a treasure!
So glad I'm not seen as interfering!!!! :lol: :lol:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Assaf
07-08-2007, 07:26 AM
This is lovely. The composition is very calm, and the colors fit it perfectly.

lani noa
07-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Thank you all for your encouraging comments. It appears my intentions were realized in all of you seeing what I saw in this fleeting moment ...caught.

Maureen: Thank you again! Never hesitate to share your minds eye with me. If all I came for were accolades what would I learn or understand from that! An open mind is one that is free to journey anywhere.