PDA

View Full Version : Time for new supplies.

Tracy Lewis
06-26-2007, 12:25 PM
I have been playing around with my cheepie box of soft and oil pastels now since Febuary this year. I now feel I need to expand my collection, and get more colours and shades. Also I want a nice material to draw on. My local stockist has said that they can supply me with a Daler-Rowney colour chart, which is great. BUT how do I start buying. Eg, one colour set of tints and tones, or different sticks of colour. What paper would be best. The one I have has watermarks at intervals down the sheet and they are hard to hide.
Suggestions needed please, as this is proberbly not going to be light on the purse strings.:eek: :thumbsup:

Kathryn Wilson
06-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Okay, we need to pare you down to choices here. Are you talking about both oil pastels and soft pastels - or have you decided to go with one or the other.

Papers are pretty easy - Art Spectrum Colourfix is good for both, Wallis is good for both.

Tracy Lewis
06-26-2007, 09:45 PM
both mediums. I think :o

GaryNorthants
06-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi Tracy, I don't have a local supplier here with much choice so I have been getting stocked up from here www.jacksonsart.com/. As for Rowney pastels I have just bought around a hundred. I bought the 5 new boxed sets, warms, cools, greys etc and found that there were 26 duplicated colours out of 72 sticks. I then ordered another 50 or so individual colours. Enjoy you new supplies whatever you choose
Gary

Tracy Lewis
06-27-2007, 04:21 AM
Thanks Gary. You must have been very annoyed with your original pack of duplicates. I would have been.

maggie latham
06-27-2007, 08:28 AM
:cat:
Hello Tracey,

Not sure what type of online mega art stores you have in the UK. I am English by birth, and although I use a lot of US brands, I couldn’t be without my W&N pastels! I find they are a good workhorse and are middle to soft. I use W&N gouache and watercolor, and they are a pretty reliable brand. I would recommend Wallis paper, but not sure if there is a supplier for it in England yet. You can also play around with your own grounds, painted onto gesso'd mdf board, or gesso'd anything. I frequently use watercolor paper with colour fix pastel primer. Have you been effected by the floods?
Maggie

Pabs
06-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi Tracey - I personally use W&N softies (I tried oilies but just couldn't get the hang of them), and at the moment I'm using up my stock of Canson MT, though I have bought some Artspectrum lately for future use (as in when I get a bit better and a touch more confident!).
This thread is a very interesting one as I'm considering if I should "upgrade" or not, as many good artists on these pages seem to use the better, more expensive materials. There was a marked difference when I upgraded from cheapie pastels to the W&N, but would any further benefit be made if I changed again?????
It's a very good question indeed, and definately one to keep an eye on.
Regards,
Pabs