PDA

View Full Version : Judge's Choice

K Taylor-Green
06-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Kat expressed an interest in seeing the three pieces I entered in my annual art guild show. The Brush and Pallet Art Guild has been in existence for 50 yrs and has 60 members from several counties. This yearly show is a big event.
I placed first in my category this year with the following painting, simply titled
Phaedra. She is my husband's Palomino Qtr Horse mare and some of you will remember she was our painting subject for the Pastel Strokes last Summer.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2007/41107-Phaedra2WC.jpg
The next two were also entered but didn't place. The first one is Evening Smoke and the last one is Sunset Bay. I am still a bit discombobulated that Evening Smoke didn't win the blue! I figured that if I won anything, it would be with this, not a simple head study. Goes to show, who knows what is in the mind of a judge! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2007/41107-Evening_SmokeMuse.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2007/41107-Sunset_Bay600.jpg

scall0way
06-26-2007, 11:16 AM
They are all lovely, but I especially do love Evening Smoke. I don't understand why it didn't win either! Gorgeous.

AnnieA
06-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Congrats on your win, Kate! :clap::clap::clap:

I recognized Phaedra immediately - I got to know her well from painting her for the Pastel Strokes! She's a beauty and it's a lovely painting. You managed to accomplish what I found so hard to do - show the subtle transition between the dark and golden areas of the muzzle. Nice job, Kate. I do see what you mean about "Evening Smoke" though. It's an exceptional piece - just gorgeous. I also really like the way you've done the bg in it.

nana b
06-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Congratulations! They are all beautiful horses and beautiful work!:clap:

nana b

Pat Isaac
06-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Great paintings, Kate. I do remember Phaedra and Evening Smoke is outstanding. Hard to tell what judges are looking for. Your third piece is a very different style from the others. Bold color.

Pat

Paula Ford
06-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Such beautiful work Kate!!

Paula

Mikki Petersen
06-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Phaedra is beautiful and well worth a prize but, had I been judging, Evening Blue would have taken best in show. Powerful stuff there, great energy. b Sunset Bay is also a worthy entry. I like the interpretive style of that one and the great tension of the colors used.

Good strong work on all three, Kate!

Mikki

Kathryn Wilson
06-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Kate, I remember these! I am seeing a trend here with lots of folks winning awards with work that was generated here on Wet Canvas. Must be we are doing some right!

K Taylor-Green
06-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks all, for the in put! I still think Evening Smoke should have won. I guess this judge really liked simplicity.
There were many other good animal paintings painted in pastels. There were some really nice cat portraits, all done very close up, to show the eyes to best advantage.

lacey sprocket
07-01-2007, 02:06 AM
I really like these! Nice job on the details, and I agree, the second one is the one I would have expected to win. Love the drama of the 3rd one, too. I had a similar experience when I was in school. I did a few detailed finished pastel drawings because my teacher wanted to select one of my drawings to represent our college at a show in Riverside. Also in my portfolio were the simple studies I had done in life drawing that day. They picked a 20 minute pencil drawing! Looking back, that was actually the stronger work, but at the time, I was flaberghasted!