PDA

View Full Version : Daffodils-Finally!!!!

karma kat
06-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Hello, all. I know it's been a while. A looooong time, really. :o
Anyway, I finally finished up this one from the Feb. Different Strokes (anybody remember that?). I painted one flower in Feb., so I had to finish the rest yesterday. :lol: It's not really one of my favorites, but I like the background. It's a very lovely shade of French Ultramarine, the first time I got to use it. Also, made me realize that I have a long way to go when it comes to painting flowers. With all the yellows, everything looked like a big blob, so I decided to outline the shapes with some sap green.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2007/76253-DAFFODIL-1.jpg
Oh yeah, this is 8"x10" canvas. I used Golden Fluids and Old Holland Interference Blue for a little something extra on the background (you can kind of see it in the glare). I haven't varnished or signed it yet, so comment and critique away if you'd like. I plan on using a high-gloss varnish to bring out the background color.
Thanks for looking!!!

jan409
06-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Very nice, but I would use some very light yellows to highlight the flowers. Also some lights on the vase. The center of the flowers could use some darks. this would help make the flowers more 3-D. The colors are great. Jan

Assaf
06-25-2007, 05:51 PM
The blue background is superb. Which blue is this?

edtree
06-25-2007, 06:14 PM
One of the best things about this is the foundation. The flowers and vase are very well drawn. And the background is great as well. I really like the yellow too, but without variation, they just seems unfinished. I agree with Jan's suggestions to add some darks and lights on the flowers. Good for you for getting this back out after having put it aside for so long. :)

Elizabeth

CamiTampa
06-25-2007, 06:22 PM
I agree, finish the flowers. You have a very good base to build on.
Cami

MaloCS
06-25-2007, 06:33 PM
I agree with the flowers suggestions. One other thing to consider is painting in some sort of shadow on the table. This will ground the vase to the table. Right now, it sort of looks like it's floating.

You have a very good impressionistic representation of the flowers going on here. It wouldn't take much to finish this piece in that style. A few simple brush strokes and call it complete.

PS - I'd love to see that blue background in person. I bet it glows. :)

Linee
06-25-2007, 08:21 PM
I agree, you don't need to do much. It has a nice Van Gogh feel. Love that yellow on blue.

idcrisis55
06-25-2007, 08:33 PM
I really like what you have going in this painting, Toni. Personally I would like to see some separation between the flowers and the stems and the vase. Bringing in the green and purples into the stems and adding some highlights to the flowers and vase would really give this more dimension and form. You have done one terrific job so far!

C_Line
06-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Bravo for finishing this one Toni, you worked on a completed the challenge. On the yellows, you could just glaze some shadowy colors to add depth and dimensionality to the scene. Why not experiment with some thin glazes over a piece of paper painted with the same yellows and see what you think?

karma kat
06-26-2007, 02:38 PM
I do agree with everyone on making the flowers more distinct.
My question is, what colors would I use to go about doing this? I used Hansa yellow and yellow ochre, with some white mixed in for lighter areas, but I was not satisfied with the yellow ochre because I felt like it was to "orange-y".
Also, this is only the second time I have used Golden fluids, and while I love the great colors, I don't think I'm used to the more transparent consistency of the paint compared to the heavy bodies that I'm used to. Every time I would try to add in a darker or lighter area to the flowers, I felt like it was just disappearing. What was I doing wrong? Was I not waiting long enough between layers for the paint underneat to dry?
I've only been painting for a year, so I'm still a little new at this. I've read countless articles and posts on here about glazing, but I don't think I'm doing it right. More practice on that for sure. I got sort of discouraged because no matter what I did, I couldn't get the detail in the flowers that I wanted. I realize that this was probably because of my lack of variety as far as yellow paints that I had. I was trying to stick with Golden fluids because I didn't know if using heavier-bodied paints would affect how the colors mix. I do have an Indian yellow and some Cadmiums in other paints that I probably could have used. Should I try these? Also, what should I use to darken a yellow?
Sorry for all the questions, I just feel like I have a lot to learn. :o

And Assaf: The background is French Ultramarine Blue from Golden. It is part of their "watercolor" colors that include a replica of Holbein's Opera (my personal favorite). I glazed Old Holland Interference Blue on top of that, sort of on a whim. :D

idcrisis55
06-26-2007, 02:56 PM
You can darken the yellow with burnt sienna or with its complement, purple. It will only take a smidge of the other color to darken it. You could also add in some greens into the shadows of the flowers which would pick up the green of the stem. The purple could be a reddish or bluish purple depending on which one you prefer. You can mix the heavy body with the fluid very easily. My suggestion is to use scrap paper, lay down some hansa yellow and darken it using any of the colors you think would work. You are doing great and remember, acrylics can be corrected fairly easily so have fun and enjoy. Oh, one other thing, if you have a cad. color you can mix it with the more transparent color and it will make it more opaque. :)

karma kat
06-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Thank you for the help, Ann. I will see what I can do with this thing. :)