PDA

View Full Version : WEEKLY SKETCH THREAD June 25-July1

prestonsega
06-25-2007, 01:50 PM
The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists who use soft pastels, hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos. I have personaly found it useful to use a kitchen timer.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, it’s up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you’re creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!

OK...who his going to be first?????

Pabs
06-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Ooo - let me be first for once! Please.
Finished the dog picture, then carried on and did this while I was on some kind of "run", basically an impression of an impression, if you get what I mean.
It's Canson MT, worked with W&N soft pastels, then fixed with W&N fixative. I tried to use the same stroke for all of the marks on the paper. That's all there is to it. Maybe not original, but I hope you like it.
Regards,
Pabshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2007/103619-2007.Monet_Haystacks_01.jpg

Tracy Lewis
06-25-2007, 04:09 PM
congratulations, you're first and with such a great painting!

hopalong
06-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Pabs, what a lively and colorful field. This reminds me of Van Gogh's work with that wonderful variety of marks you are making.
HEre's mine. I finished it yesterday. Oilies as usual.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2007/81895-flower_orange.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Great piece, Pabs and I agree that it has a very VanGogh feel.
Great closeup flower, Lindsay. Is it a daisy?

Pat

lacey sprocket
06-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Pabs, is that a haystack? Very jolly feeling to this one.

Lindsay, I love the flicker you get with red and blue. Very painterly!

hopalong
06-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks Pat and Lacey. The sketch is on blue paper so some of it showed through and I liked it.....Pat I'm not sure what this is because it was in a public garden in my town. Does it look like a daisey familY?

Pat Isaac
06-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah, it does look like it belongs in the daisy family.

Pat

Dougwas
06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Pabs- I too feel that your painting looks very Van Goghish (I think I just made up a word). I realy like the feel of the painting.

Linsay- Your flower looks great. I like the loseness and how you let the paper show through.

Its been a while since I posted anything but hopefully I can do a sketch tomorrow. Last week I ordered the Terry Ludwig dark set along with a pastel book and 3 DVD's. It was my Fathers Day present.:) As I told my kids, "I'm worth it." ;)

Talk to you all soon.:clap:

Doug

AnnieA
06-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Pabs: Just like Lindsay and Doug, my first thought upon seeing your painting was that it reminded me of Van Gogh, for both the haystack and for the wonderful way you applied the pastel, not to mention the stylized approach. Nice job.

Lindsay: Your flower just vibrates with the beautiful complimentary color scheme you chose. And I love the texture in the center. There's a terrific sense of depth to it too. Well done!

Enjoy those new pastels, Doug. And thanks for hosting again this week, Preston. :)

Yusuke
06-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Thank you for hosting the thread, Preston,

I've got no time to post/write in the previous week's thread... but I thank everyone who commented on my garlic sketch! And your works are so great, inspiring.:thumbsup:

Pabs,
Nice landscape. I thought you used oilies at the first look. Fixative changed softies?? Anyway, I like the Van Gogh-looking strokes.

Lindsay,
Great expression of the flower closeup. I see the layered oil pastels worked well. The remnants (I don't know this term is appropriate or not... I hope you'll get what I mean:p) of the background are quite effective to give the texture of the petals.

Well, here's mine. Three coffee beans. Oil pastels as usual and it took 20 minutes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2007/51042-1129.jpg

hopalong
06-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks Doug, Annie, and Yusuke.

Yusuke, how do you manage to make the humble coffee bean look so GREAT!
Doug, you are def worth it! Can't wait to see what you;ll be doing with all your new gear!

Annie (and others) I just got a book from the library called Raw Color with Pastels by mark Leach. Although I don't like all of his work, some of it is really stunning and very simplified. Great shape and color maker.

binkie
06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Pabs, love all those strokes and the colors.

Lindsay, your flower is gorgeous.

Doug, you'll love Terry's darks. The eggplant is one of my favorites.

Yusuke, Great beans.

Annie, you'll have to tell us about the book when you've finished reading it.

Mine is a real quickie (about 15 min. 4x6) It's from a photo on the front cover of one of my books.

binkie

AnnieA
06-26-2007, 01:12 AM
Yusuke: Nice loose sketch of the coffee beans! Did you know that here in the U.S. chocolate-covered coffee beans can be bought, and eaten as a snack? I'm a coffee addict, and I like coffee dark and strong (although primarily decaf now :p), but they're too much for me! :lol:

Lindsay: Sounds like a very interesting book. Your own style uses such bold color, that I'm not surprised that a book like that would attract you. I think Leach's work was featured in a PJ article a while back...

binkie: What a beautiful church and a beautiful painting of it. It reminds me of an old Spanish mission church that's on the road between Tuscon and Nogales that I've always planned to paint myself. Is it the same one? I like the texture you showed for the walls and the soft light. Well done! :)

Pabs
06-26-2007, 05:41 AM
Hello everyone, and thanks for the supportive comments.
I can now see where you are all coming from with the van Gogh similarities, but had never thought of it that way until you all started with them.
Actually, the piece is inspired by one of Monet's Haystacks Collection which I stumbled across in a book on Impressionists. The colours were very summery, but it was the way the strokes were made that intruiged me; I wondered what it would be like to do a piece of work using all the same pastel strokes. Well now I know!!! Live and learn as they say.
Regards,
Pabs

Pat Isaac
06-26-2007, 09:14 AM
I agree with Lindsay, the humble coffee bean looks great and I like the shine on them. Chocolate covered coffee beans??? If it is dark chocolate, I might have to find some.
Lovely church, Binkie. Is it from the south west?
Enjoy those pastels, Doug.

Pat

maggie latham
06-26-2007, 09:32 AM
:cat:
Hello Everyone,
Pabs: I love your impressionist piece!
Lindsay: Your flower is beautiful!
Doug: You will love the Ludwig dark set…Which DVD’s did you order?
Yusuke: The coffee beans look good enough to eat….you need to illustrate a recipe book!
Binkie: I love Old Mission Churches. I’ve always wanted to paint the mission in Carmel, but can’t find my photos of it any more.
Hope I have included everyone!

Some odd impasto texture going on in this one, due to the nature of the watercolor paper. I covered an old watercolor painting with color fix primer. The paper is 300lb (thick) cold pressed textured Arches. A variety of pastel brands, and a little acrylic medium and fixative. 5x7..just over one hour.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2007/91114-5x7_WC.jpg
Maggie

hopalong
06-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Binkie, I like your chruch. Great use of compliments!

hopalong
06-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Maggie, we must have posted at the same time because this just came up.
Thanks for explaining your process. You have a lovely impressioist feel to your work.

maggie latham
06-26-2007, 09:56 AM
:)
Oh!
Has my post been lost forever, or is it lurking in cyber space somewhere?
Maggie

maggie latham
06-26-2007, 09:59 AM
It’s found it’s way….sometimes us humans are too quick for the system!
Maggie

scall0way
06-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Well I have not been drawing or sketching for *weeks*, but now that my pneumonia is starting to clear up (knock on wood) I hope I'll get back.

So I decided to take 5 minutes today to contribute to this thread. I'm at work, but I keep some small 5 1/2 x 8 sheets of Canson in my desk, and a box of 12 Conté pastel pencils, so that's what I did the picture on. I took 5 minutes to do a quick sketch of my breakast before I ate it. Then used the camera on my cell phone to take a pic and upload to my PC.

Not very good resolution on the camera - no good for a recent pic, but fine for this very rough sketch. As usual I see my ellipse is super-wonky. They are even harder to do when your paper is lying flat than they do when it is at least upright on an easel. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2007/62165-yogurt_2-1.jpg

prestonsega
06-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Pabs....the stroke work really shows the versatility of the pastel medium.

Lindsay...not only are the colors visually pleasing, but your intimate view and plane break up create an interesting and balanced composition.

Binkie....the mission, with its almost symetrical comp coupled with the complimentary color combo make this a strong work.

Maggie...you are on a roll...Its going to be great if you put all the works in this series in a thread of its own

Debbie.....I have yet to eat breakfast, so guess what this work brings to mind......Off to the kitchen for me!!!!!

maggie latham
06-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Debbie,
Five minuets…wow! I need to go get my breakfast.
Maggie

Pabs
06-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Hopalong - I've no idea about flora and fauna, so I will steer cleer of any resemblance to anything, except to say that it looks great. The colours work so well together, giving it a great vibrancy. I have not got my head yet round to thinking of only part of a subject can fill a page. I envy you that.
Yusuke - I think there is only you who can think of of such a subject, and take three coffee beans and turn them into something so interesting. It's amazing, and gives even the humblest of subjects a real meaning. What can you do with a matchstick (he asks, tounge in cheek?).
Binkie - I think like hopalong's, the two basically simple colours you have combined work so well. The blue of the sky and the earthy building almost make you feel the heat of the day around a lone mission in a western film.
Maggie - I love this heavily Impressionistic feel you have given this, it's a very well done, almost a Monet in style. The all-over effect of the colour is amazing enabling you to almost feel the light breaking through. It's great.
Finally scall0way - what do I say about a bowl of cereals. I applaud your ingenuity in finding such a subject, plus your keeping some materials in your work desk is a true committment. Like you, I have difficulty with that old foe the elipse, but it's only through taking him head-on that we'll beat him. The shadow and background are really good though.
Regards,
Pabs

lacey sprocket
06-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Yusuke, mmm, I can almost smell the coffee! Really nice shine.
Yes, those chocolate covered coffee beans are pretty spectacular if you can find them!
Binkie, nice texture. I like the color, too.

Maggie, isn't it great how you can use an old failed peice as an underpainting and get something awesome? Nice work! I love the speckles of yellow.

Debbie, mmm, nice bananas! I'm getting hungry...

AnnieA
06-26-2007, 12:15 PM
The sketch thread is really hopping this week. Terrific work, everybody!

Wow, Maggie! The texture and color in your piece is fabulous! It's just beautiful! Another technique I now want to try...:lol: I'm curious - what color Colorfix primer did you use? It reminds me of Wolf Kahn's work...

Debbie: It's a wonderful sketch of the cereal - I really like it. The "wonky" ellipse gives it character and a slightly whimsical feel - something I like in many of your pieces.

Yusuke
06-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the comments, Lindsay, binkie, Annie, Pabs, Pat, Maggie and Lacey,

binkie,
Amazing 15 minutes painting...the white crosses and the shapes of the roofs, windows and church itself are in good composition!

Annie,
I never seen/heard of chocolate-covered coffee beans. Sounds a bit funny to me. What do they taste like?? Bitter but sweet? I'm a coffee addict, too. :)

Maggie,
Ah, your style! I can see the water, lands, tower(lighthouse?). It must be much heavier texture than the displayed image.

Debbie,
Don't worry about the ellipses. Your color selection of the breakfast sketch is quite appealing.

Pabs,
Thanks for your compliments. Hahaha, matchstick? sounds very hard to paint with a large stick...

Oh yes, this weeks sketch thread is really hopping. Here's my second one of this week. I painted tomatoes. It took 45 minutes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2007/51042-tomatoes260607.jpg

AnnieA
06-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Well, I told myself I'd get off the computer an hour ago, but here I am. :lol:

I just had to respond to your tomato sketch, Yusuke, which is excellent! They look so juicy and red and beautiful. You really have such a good eye for the light falling on your objects, and are able to describe it in your paintings with such lovely economy. Very, very nice. :)

And yeah, the chocolate-covered coffee beans are sort of bitter but sweet. Chocolate goes with coffee so well, you know. The beans used are espresso, and if they were decaf I'd be buying tons of the stuff. But since they're regular beans if I ate very many I'd be :eek::eek::eek:...:lol:

Pat Isaac
06-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Maggie, what a beautiful sketch. I love the texture and it is reminiscent of Kahn's work.
Debbie, you are amazing to get that much down on paper in 5min.!!! Great bananas.
Yusuke, lovely plump tomatoes, good reflected light and stem texture. I am waiting for our tomatoes, now have blossoms on them.
Annie, if I see those beans I'll have to get them. 2 of my favorite flavors....

Pat

flyfisherflyfisher1
06-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Great work everyone! The choco beans are delicous, But full off caffine be careful! I eat two or three and I'm wired!
Pete

scall0way
06-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Wow Yusuke, beautiful tomatoes!

mrking
06-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Yusuke, I'd put any of those sketches on my wall.

As usual I see my ellipse is super-wonky. They are even harder to do when your paper is lying flat than they do when it is at least upright on an easel.

scall0way, I have the opposite issue, I have trouble sketching ellipses on the vertical surface but have no problems on a horizontal surface.

My latest is this cherry. Various Rembrandts on Sabertooth paper. About 5x7"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2007/108995-DSC02585-sml.jpg

Am I improving?

maggie latham
06-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Hello everyone,
Annie, white color fix. The yellow has come out a little bit brighter in the scan. There was a little duller muddier color around the edges, but I cropped it out the same as if I were using a mat.
Lacey, Yes good to work on top of something that didn’t make it!
Yusuke, you put us to shame! Now we are going to have paint something else!…. Seriously, your toms are lovely.
Pat, Kahn is an artist that I unfamiliar with, but I will now do some research.
Mrking, lovely cherry, I like the background a lot.
Hope I have included everyone….
Maggie

prestonsega
06-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Yusuke....you have a very enviable style that is so well expressed in this work!

prestonsega
06-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Am I improving?

Absolutely......that is what I thought as I was viewing this work.

binkie
06-27-2007, 05:45 AM
Annie, thanks for the comment. The church is in New Mexico but its exactly location was not noted.

Pat, thanks. As I mentioned above the church is in New Mexico.

Maggie, wonderful painting! I love the texture. Somewhere I also have some old photos I took as a child of the missions in California.

Lindsay, thanks!

Debbie, I'm glad you are feeling better. Nice job on the breakfast sketch, and only five minutes! I sure can sympathize with the elipse. I can't get them right whether the paper is on an easel or flat.

Thanks, Preston. I don't know why that it seems when I am just messing around with the pastels my work comes out better than when I am really trying.

Pabs, thanks for the comments.

Lacey, thanks. I'm waiting for your latest.

Yusuke, thanks for your remarks. I have to say that you sketched one of my all-time favorite foods this week and with such panache. Of course, all your sketches have been superb.

mrking - I'd say you're more than improving and so rapidly! Great cherry! I really like the blue background's texture. When the pic started to come up it looked like a view of the world from space. Well done.

binkie

Pabs
06-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Yusuke - those toms are awesome! I had to stop drinking coffee, even though I enjoy it, it was giving me splitting headaches. I now only drink tea, but then again, I am English!!!!
Mrking - the elipse on the cherry looks fine to me - just lay it on its side and no-one would be any the wiser!!!
I've seen that bowl of cereals again, and it's reminded me - breakfast.
Regards,
Pabs

lacey sprocket
06-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Yusuke, Lovely tomatos! Once again your your mastery of the medium shows. ;)

Mike, nice cherry! It looks dimensional, and the colors are fun.

I have found the infamous chocolate covered espresso beans at a Harry and Davids before, but I'm having no luck on thier website. So I googled it, and here you are:
http://www.nutsonline.com/chocolatessweets/chocolate-covered-espresso-beans/?source=gaw&kw=cam5grp5AdD&gclid=CKSW2JbJ_IwCFSpOhgodkCOm8w
They even have DECAF! :D

Binkie, awww! Thanks! I'll have to get cracken' soon! ;)

Yusuke
06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi everybody,

Thanks so much for the comments on my tomatoes, Annie, Pat, Debbie, mrking, Maggie, Preston, binkie, Pabs, and Lacey,

Also thanks for the info of chocolate-covered coffee beans!

mrking,
You expressed the cherry's presence thru use of the paper textures with vivid color contrast. The perspective is interesting.

Lacey,
Thanks for the webpage about the chocolate-covered espresso beans. That helped me a lot to understand what they are.
I don't use mediums. Does it look like I did? I mainly use my fingers to put layers. ;)

Well, this must be an oil pastel week for me. :) I sketched a CD after getting home after a concert. I requested the autograph on the jacket. :) Oil pastels on a sketch pad. 40 minutes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2007/51042-cd270607.jpg

binkie
06-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Yusuke, love the CD you sketched. And it's autographed too.

binkie

Dougwas
06-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Yusuke- As usual you did a great job on all of your sketches. You seem to be able to take the everyday things in life and make them look so dramatic. You see a subject to sketch when all I see is food.:lol:

Binkie- I love the texture of your church. You can feel it. The colour of the sky makes the church pop out.

Maggie- I realy like your freeness and your use of minimal colours. Every time I look at it, I see something different.

Debbie- 5 minutes? WOW. I can't even pick the right pastel stick in 5 minutes. Great job. BTW, anytime you can sketch at work is a good day at work.:thumbsup:

mrking- It is nice to see another BCer. How is PoCo. Great work on your cherry. You can see the roundness with your shading. If you keep up the sketching everyweek you will improve even more than you have already. This group of people are so helpful it is unbelievable. So keep the sketches coming.:thumbsup:

Well it has been a while. I just got 3 Margaret Evans DVD's yesterday and did a sketch based on one of her demos. I find that it is basic Pastels 101 but that is what I need. It was nice to see how an artist applies the pastel instead of looking at a book and saying "How did they do that?":( I also got the book, Painting With Pastels by Maggie Price and find it VERY helpful. So far, it is the best pastel book I have read. My head is going to explode with all this new info.:eek:

This was done using Rembrandts, Senneliers and Terry Ludwigs (yes, I got them) on the smooth side of Canson. It is 12 x 9 and it took me 25 minutes.

Thanks for looking,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jun-2007/102199-Sketch_June_27_07.jpg
Doug

AnnieA
06-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Mike: Oooh! I just love the cherry! The texture, of both the cherry itself and the stem, is wonderful and the colors of cherry just glow! Nice, loose, textury bg too. You certainly are improving!

Mike and Debbie (Scall0way) - picking up on binkie's remark: Just a thought: it's easier to paint ellipses accurately while working at an easel (vertical surface) than on the flat surface of a desk. When the paper is flat on a desk, you're seeing the picture plane in a distorted way, but at an easel the angle of the picture plane will correspond pretty much to the objects you're painting. (Was this clear??? And sorry if you already know this.)

Maggie: Thanks for the info. I'm glad Pat agreed with me about Kahn - I think you'll like him.

binkie: I was fascinated by the old Spanish missions too when I was a kid (still am, really). So beautiful.

They even have DECAF! Lacey: Thanks for the link. They have decaf??? :evil: (I can sense another addiction in the making here! :lol:)

Yusuke: Nice sketch of the CD. The background looks like it's metallic gold! What kind of music is it?

Doug: Really nice job on this. You're improving too! I like the use of different values and the contrast of the smooth rolling hills against the texture of the trees. Enjoy your new toys! :lol: (Pastels and books, that is. :p)

maggie latham
06-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Hello everyone,
Yusuke, you put us all to shame! You are so prolific, and the everyday objects look wonderful. Are you sure you’re not an illustrator and are not telling us?!
Doug, I saw some of Margaret’s tapes quite a while ago, and wish I had them to look at again. She is a very good teacher. Also thought that Maggie Price’s new book was very informative, and I love the fact that it showcases a lot of different artists work. Can you image painting a life size figure painting? I was amazed. It must take a lot of pastels! I have just finished many months of experimenting on different home made grounds and surfaces … and had to do a lot of searching and asking around to find out about them …and now they are in one book….….Fantastic.
I really like the greens in your piece.
Maggie

scall0way
06-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Mike and Debbie (Scall0way) - picking up on binkie's remark: Just a thought: it's easier to paint ellipses accurately while working at an easel (vertical surface) than on the flat surface of a desk. When the paper is flat on a desk, you're seeing the picture plane in a distorted way,

Oh I absolutely agree, but setting up an easel on my desk at work would just be a little *too* blatant, :D.

Pat Isaac
06-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, I'm finally getting emails again.....
mike , yes, you are improving....nice roundness to the cherry.
Preston, new avatar???....like it.
Yusuke, good CD and signed? wow. Great perspective on the lines of the CD. You are prolific!!
Doug, nice to see you are back....nice pastoral landscape and I really like the gradation in the sky.
Lacey.....thanks for that link, I do need to get some of those...

Pat

Pabs
06-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Yusuke - and now here's a CD cover ........... What next? You've got me sat here looking round for stuff to draw now, instead of the usual still life, or from working from a photogrpah I've taken etc, and you're doing everything else!!
Great stuff though. How big is your library from all of the wonderful work work you keep producing? Will you have to move home?
Doug, I like your rolling hills, but love the tree. I'm quite interested in this as I have difficulty in producing realistic trees, and I think you have done this one justice.
AnnieA - your comments on producing an elipse is so right yet so obvious when you sit and thinki about it (which I just have). I will use that in the future, then I can always work on my piece in whatever way I like after getting the shapes right.
It's 11.00am as I type now, so Yusuke, you've not got long to produce one more piece before the week's out!!!!!!!
Regards,
Pabs

Yusuke
06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi all,:wave:

Thank you so much for the comments on my work!
I'll write comments and replies on Sunday (hopefully). Have got no time today... I'm travelling again this weekend (kind of a business trip as always... Yuk, am I a workaholic Japanese??).
Well, so I sketched my backpack I'm travelling with. It took 20 minutes. Shorter than usual, then looser than usual I think. :p
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2007/51042-backpack290607.jpg

Pat Isaac
06-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Yes, it is looser than usual, Yusuke but amazing detail for 20 minutes!!! Love the addition of the blue color.

Pat

lacey sprocket
06-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Yusuke, Wow! Quite a nice cd, those sharp rectangular shapes are tricky. I like the loose backpack, you put in some great hints of color!

Doug, I like that you got the shadow under the tree, and the variation of tones in the sky. Nice!

I still haven't got anything to put up. I've been doing some experimenting with gessoing my paper, and I got larger paper (19x24), so I'm working on some bigger stuff. I'm trying to get something done for a juried show, but we'll see!

binkie
06-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Doug, Nice landscape. I like the way you have used the different shades of green. Aren't Terry's pastels great! Have you tried the eggplant color yet? I love that one to use instead of black.

Yusuke, Tight or loose your sketches are marvelous!

binkie

Snowbound
06-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Squeaking in late, as usual. I've been trying to catch up on stuff (like planting a garden finally, now that we are not getting the daily deluges, cross fingers). I have some larger things in progress, but haven't been doing many sketches. Shame on me. But today, went shopping for supplies for traditional American potato salad. Gotta have red potatoes. So here's a red potato, before it joined other potatoes to get cooked and join celery, onion, eggs, and my special home-made boiled dressing. Very, very fast, about 7.5x7.c cm (3x3 in).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2007/95699-June30-redpotato-7.5x7.5cm.jpg

Dayle Ann

macrobertson
07-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Hi, I thought I'd ease myself into the end of this thread and into the Pastel Forum. I've been trying pastels recently and thought that Marie's suggestion to try this, in my 'Artwork from Life' thread, might be a good way to continue the practice and experimentation.
a little study just now, under an hour, and roughly 10 x 8
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2007/14751-DSC03540.JPG

all comments welcome
Mac

binkie
07-01-2007, 02:23 AM
Dayle Ann, Great looking potato. What time do you want me to come over for potato salad? Sounds yummy.

Mac, I'm glad you joined us. Welcome! You did a beautiful job on the apples. I like looseness and the shadows are marvelous. I look forward to seeing more from you.

binkie

maggie latham
07-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Hello,
Dayle Ann, love the potato! It’s nice to do some gardening, isn’t it?
Mac, Lovely apples. I particularly like the loose background.
Yusuke, What a great backpack sketch! I like it loose….You need to be illustrating something fantastic…. like the J Peterman catalogue used to look!!
Maggie

Pat Isaac
07-01-2007, 12:05 PM
That's a great red potato, and the sald sounds yummy.
Welcome aboard, Mac. Your apples have a lovely loose feel, nice reflected lights.

Pat

prestonsega
07-01-2007, 10:40 PM
YusukeI...I love your sketching style and would recognize it,,,,the folds on the backpack read especially well.

Doug...Nice color changes in the sky and ground increasing the feeling of depth.

Dayle ...Red taters,,yum....you nailed the eyes and their shadings
Mack....you are a natural with pastels....great loosness and color.b

AnnieA
07-02-2007, 02:34 AM
Ha! Here I am posting my weekly sketch with a whole hour and a half to spare before it's technically time for next week's thread! :lol:

Oh I absolutely agree, but setting up an easel on my desk at work would just be a little *too* blatant...
Scalloway: Yeah, I see what you mean about working on a painting at work. I guess an easel might be frowned upon. :lol: I sometimes hold my sketchpad up while I sketch, then put it back down for to work with color.

Pabs: I'm glad the ellipse tip was helpful. :)

Yusuke: The backpack is terrific. I can't believe how fast you work! The subtle touches of blue and red are really successful. Hope the trip went well.

Lacey: What do you have going for the juried show? Can we see???

Dayle: Nice red potato sketch. Mmmm...potato salad sounds good!

Mac: Glad you could join us! :wave: Great apples! You have a nice loose style and the shadows and reflections are beautiful.

This is an early '60s transistor radio that I found in a "Free" box at a local street fair. It has a leather carrying case too. Very cute. And it works!

Sketch #32
Red Transistor Radio
OPs on 9x12 newsprint
+/- One hour (nearly the same amount of time trying to get a decent pic!)

I tried the scratch technique for the first time on this, for the lettering and the little holes in the grill part of the metal face. Problems developed as the undercolor was black, and the lighter over color just started blending with it, but eventually I worked that out. And I had intended to tone down that bright blue shadow but ran out of time. Lots of little flaws (I should have gone larger) in this but it was fun...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jul-2007/85002-Red_Radio_DSCN4651.jpg

lacey sprocket
07-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Dayle Ann, what a cute little corner of potato!

Mac, lovely apples, they really glow.

Annie A, I love it! you really captured the shiny red paint, and the blues really set it off. Scratching worked well.

See you all in this week's thread, hopefully I'll do something this week!

AnnieA
07-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks, Lacey - it was fun to do. (btw, it's red plastic) Are your OPs behaving quite differently, as mine are, now that the weather's heating up somewhat?

Yusuke
07-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Hi all,:wave:

I'm back with a backpack. :)
Please let me write some replies here though everyone have moved to the next thread... thanks for the comments on my sketches, binkie, Doug, Annie, Maggie, Pat, Pabs and Lacey,

Doug,
The smooth surface worked well for the texture. Nice landscape.

Annie,
The background of the CD is not metallic but it really looks like it is. I just used pale green. Funny. The music is jazz (latin). This is Michel Camilo's new album. Here's his official website. http://www.michelcamilo.com/
Your nostalgic sketch is nice. The details are by sgrafito? The lights and shadows are well expressed in your keen color-selection style.

Maggie,
Hahaha, I'm not an illustrator. Am just an artist "at heart". ;)
I didn't know J Peterman catalogue, so I googled and found the site. Yeah, interesting. I hope I can make a kind of my things' catalogue from the WC posts. :)

Pabs,
Ah, how did you know that my house is small. :) actually, it's a mess. :(

Dayle Ann,
Your salad sounds delicious. Are you planning to sketch the salad someday? Red potato is not usual here in Japan but I can guess what it is. I like the thick edge lines and modelling of the potato surface.

Mac,
Great apple sketch! Your color selection and strokes are really informative to me.

See you in this week's thread.:wave:

Pabs
07-04-2007, 05:59 AM
Mac, got to say - great apples!
Regards,
Pabs

Snowbound
07-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Yusuke, your potato is a russet, but apparently not an Idaho russet, which have to be grown in Idaho. Potatoes, like wine, onions, and coffee, tend to be named by where they are grown. It's a Japanese russet, I guess! Or better, use the farm's name!

I'm pondering how to sketch a potato salad. It has no distinguishing features! Looks bland, tastes delicious.

Dayle Ann