PDA

View Full Version : dull color / sunken oil paintings, help!

alzarin J
05-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Hi there,
I have been painting with oils a lot and I still don't get that sheen gloss that i am suppose to even after i use mediums like linseed oil, glazes - alkyd, copal medium, other mediums, what's up. It's like a dry paste color both on masonite and canvas..
can someone let me know what's up?
Thanks,
Lady AJ

Scott Methvin
05-13-2002, 10:33 PM
Hi,
Hard to tell from the information you've provided. Do you use a lot of terpentine? Cheap prestretched canvas? How do you work, what kind of paint do you use? Over absorbent grounds will cause what you describe. Masonite is only the begining of a full description. What are the grounds?

alzarin J
05-13-2002, 10:55 PM
thanks for getting back so soon,
I really don't use that much turps or cheap stuff. I usually use paint straight from the tube with a little linseed oil mixed with copa mediuml, sometimes nothing just pure paints from the tubes on masonite gesso board. I usually stretch my own canvas and do a pretty good job with priming and I also by canvases from the art store or utrechts that are not that cheap but are cotton duck, i rarely use linen. Since the colors appear dull i have tried glazing with alkyds and that's made things worse.
best,
Jobi

Scott Methvin
05-13-2002, 11:52 PM
I am convinced your problem is overly absorbant grounds sucking the oil out of your paint. Clayboard wil do this. So will most prestretched canvas brands. Try a thin coat of linseed oil 3 days before you use your next support.
Good luck.

Wayne Gaudon
05-14-2002, 01:41 PM
What brand of Copal Medium do you use and how much per inch of paint? I was told by a reputable source that not all Copal Mediums have Copal in them! Take that for what it's worth.

May find an answer here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42373)

alzarin J
05-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Hi,
i use grumbacher copal painting medium and just started using it. I use very little of it with a little bit of linseed oil. i would say about half a 1/4 size of a 21/2 fl.oz size jar with about the same size of linseed oil. i just dip the brush a tiny bit then dip the brush into a tiny bit into the paint. but heck, i still had the same problem even before i got the copal medium. What is the copal medium really suppose to do anyway? dry the paints faster?? is it really necessary, do you think?
Best,

Wayne Gaudon
05-14-2002, 03:02 PM
Read the thread I posted and you will see why it's not working. Grumbracher Copal has no copal according to the person mentioned in the thread. The medium should give your paint luster and remove the need to varnish as all things will be equal and bright. You mix it with the paint as per the tread.