PDA

View Full Version : question about wallis vs. colorfix paper

reeta
06-22-2007, 11:29 AM
:wave: Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could explain what the difference would be if I used Wallis white sanded paper with an underpainting of a particular color in acrylic vs. colorfix paper. I have quite a bit of white wallis sanded paper on hand (which I love), but am looking for a richer underpainting before I use my ops. Rather than purchasing colorfix paper I was wondering if there might be a way that I could make something similar using the Wallis. Any ideas about how this might work or any other suggestions? Thanks, Reeta

LJW
06-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi reeta. Wallis paper will certainly stand-up to toning with acrylic (you can paint oils on Wallis), but I expect you will lose the tooth. When I want to use OPs on a coloured surface, I use colourfix or Wallis Belgian mist (brownish), or I use canvas board and tone it with acrylic paint mixed with gesso. You could always give your idea a try on a small piece of your Wallis and see if you like the surface. Jane

Pat Isaac
06-22-2007, 04:54 PM
I have used Wallis both with an acrylic wash and with an oil wash. I really don't think it damaged the surface much but it sure did damage my brush :eek: Used the wrong kind. I would definitely give it a try as it is awesome paper and takes a lot of abuse.

Pat

reeta
06-22-2007, 08:38 PM
thanks Jane and Pat, those were great suggestions. It's so nice to have this forum to get answers to these kinds of questions. Thanks again for responding, and enjoy your weekend, Reeta