PDA

View Full Version : friends....

flyfisherflyfisher1
06-19-2007, 04:29 PM
I was talking to my wife the other night and referred to all of you guys as my Wetcanvas friends....Well she said "They're not really your friends they are just people that you correspond with everyday, you've never met them." I told her that I put almost every last little bit of my heart and soul into each one of my paintings to the point that I almost feel like I've lost a child when one leaves home (I have periodically even checked on the current one during the night):lol: and I trust each and every one of you to help with the up-bringing of that child:lol: :lol: . So I just wanted you all to know that I refer to you as my friends whether you like it or not:) :thumbsup:
Thank you,
Pete

chewie
06-19-2007, 05:02 PM
and i'm betting that if we all came together for a week long paint out, we'd be even more so! sometimes the privateness of the internet is even better--i have never gotten very many decent critiques IRL, but here, i get them, suggestions on how to do something, and simply support at times.

this is just alot of babbling to say, i agree with you!

artist_pw
06-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi:

Almost every artist I've ever had the pleasure to meet in person has been one of the best people in the world. Over the internet or not, and the internet just allows more easy access to people you may never meet in person. This website continues to amaze me, and I keep praising it everywhere. I do a lot of yahoo answers and mention it, and also at the MidAmerica Pastel Society. In everyday life, I don't have too much access to arty types, so it is really satisfying to talk with arty people who have a common thread. This site really rocks as well as all of its members. YEA!

Piper Ballou
06-19-2007, 07:15 PM
I did not know much about pastels until I joined WC, I have shared all the good and not so good experiences, paintings and life with the people here. I have met a few from here in real life and they are just as they are here, friendly, helpful-some are a little taller then others, but I too count those I met here as friends....
what a nice thread to start Pete.....

Here's to the friends on Wet Canvas-:thumbsup:
Pete-glad to count you as a friend

piper

CM Neidhofer
06-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I agree. This is, indeed, a wonderful group of people here. I too have expressed my problems here, both personal and artistic, and have always received much help and support. Even though I have immediate friends and family around me, it's always good to have other sets of eyes and ears, and hearts, to fall back on, even though we may not really know each other, or have never met. It's a small world now and we're all just a keyboard and a click away. My thanks to all of you. :thumbsup:

Christine

Katherine T
06-19-2007, 08:52 PM
I've now met a fair few people I first encountered in the Internet in various places in the USA and UK eg I first met Piper (and her husband) doing a workship with Dianna Ponting in a studio behind an art store in San Clemente California! And it was really great meeting all the WC members on that particular weekend.

I'd have to say that anytime you are relating to other people who enjoy the same things as you it's not surprising when we find it a bit easier to get on with one another.

What's really fun is when you strike up friendships with particular people and then get to meet them in 'real life' ;) and find it's just as easy to relate face to face as it is on the internet.

Punky2
06-19-2007, 09:13 PM
This is an interesting concept to me. A few days ago I was thinking about what a dream life it would be to live in an area where a bunch of artists got together to hang out in someone's garage or studio (not that I have a studio, but I do have a garage) and paint together while they chatted or just hung out. And I thought of WetCanvas and all of the interesting topics that get discussed or even argued about. It's almost the same thing except without the painting part, and that's provided by posting our work (not that I have much work to post).

So, after all that blather, I agree with what everyone else has said. That this group is a group of friends. I still think it would be really cool to hang out in each other's garages. Someday we should plan some sort of get together at some central location to everyone who wanted to participate. Wouldn't that be fun?

Terri

David Patterson
06-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Everyone in here are "friends" Pete. I met around a dozen WC artists at IAPS, inluding Punky2 and artist_pw above. I have also exchanged prints with a very special artist in here. :) Artists have a certain passion, which we all know about. I think that "passion" is carried on in just about everything we do. I haven't met a WC member I didn't like yet!

I will meet Barb Noonan at a reception Thursday night, and I'm almost certain that I will be able add another WC friend to that list of wonderful WC artist's I've met.

We are a special breed Pete, and your wife is just going to have to accept that!:D My wife has accepted that, she tells me that everytime I visit her at the mental hospital. :lol:

David

PS- No, my wife never reads these!:D

Paula Ford
06-19-2007, 09:35 PM
LOL...David!

Ditto to what everyone else has said!!

You are all my friends and my family and I couldn't go a day without being here and seeing all of you.

Hugs,
Paula

Bringer
06-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Well friends and coleagues,

Let me invite you all to go to Pete's house to celebrate:rolleyes:
He'll be willing to take sugestions on the menu that will, of course, be totally and exclusivelly suplied by him:D

Kind regards,

Josť

Kathryn Wilson
06-19-2007, 11:32 PM
U betcha Pete! I've been on here quite a long time and count people here my dear friends - I've met up with quite a few too and they seem IRL just as they are on the net.

Yes, we have poured our hearts out to each other, trusted each other to be honest and kind - and we are.

K Taylor-Green
06-20-2007, 12:43 AM
We are definitly friends, here. Your wife will get used to the concept, Pete.
Now, what's on the snack menu?:lol:

flyfisherflyfisher1
06-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Well, I guess we'll start with a little Bluefish Patte' and add some of the hotsauce that I make (once a year). :lol: :lol: Seriously, though any one of you thats passing through South Bend indiana and want to stop in... I'm so for it!:) Or if you need a litttle creative time or PleinAir I'll figure out a weekend @ my lake cottage in Michigan, USA.(just north of Grand Rapids).
Winter too. It's beautiful It sleeps 6 or 7 at a time:wave: .
Pete

bluefish
06-20-2007, 10:09 AM
:clap: What's with the 'bluefish pate'? I thought we were friends?:D

You sure know how to hurt a guy!!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you're cooking for Jose' , he'll have some 'pork and clams' !

Yes, this is a place of truly wonderful people and they are helpful friends - ( Paula's hugs are almost life like -:evil: :evil:)

'bluefish':angel:

Paula Ford
06-20-2007, 10:32 AM
:cat:

Diana_pastels
06-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Pete, I totally agree with you. I have only been on WC for a couple of months but felt welcome from the very first post! Everyone is so generous with their talent, suggestions, and support. I would love to meet you all in RL. Thank you to each of you, from a newbie.
Diana

Pat Isaac
06-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Clams...clams???? I have the clams.

I love this place and have found a wonderful group of supportive artists. I never had anyone to talk to about oil pastels until I was led here. I have grown so much as an artist. Thanks to you all.

Yes, we are "friends".

Pat

bluefish
06-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Pat - I hope Pete puts those 'big orange teeth' from the bluefish that you always refer to into his 'bluefish pate'!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pat Isaac
06-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Absolutely, that is a given....:lol:

Pat

flyfisherflyfisher1
06-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Thank you, Everyone this all makes me very happy. You all have a friend in me:heart: :smug:
Pete

Doodlebug1967
06-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Pete, great thread and thanks for starting it. Although I don't get too "personal" here on WC, I do feel a certain closeness to the folks here just from reading posts and studying all your works and small discussions. Those of you who post on a regular basis...well, I almost feel that I know you personally...and it's a good feeling. I imagine gestures, voices, etc just from what is written sometimes, and often wonder how far off I am on those...hahaha. Just from being here and communicating with you all I have learned leaps and bounds about pastels and art in general. I appreciate each and every person that participates in this wonderful world of friends on WC. You have helped my growth as an artist and as a person.

Thanks again, Pete.

Ronda

flyfisherflyfisher1
06-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Ronda,
One of the things I like about this is you can get a Little "stupid" and
personal and you can't see people roll thier eyes at you:lol: :lol: . When I told my wife about the qoutes that I have under my name she told me she was embarassed about them...And I thought about removing them and said to myself.. "na, who really cares about that stuff. it's just for fun". I can honestly say that if it wern't for WC I wouldn't be painting today I've gotten so much information here...better than any class in college! Oops! I'm rambling on! anyway, Nice to know you:smug: !
Pete

Mikki Petersen
06-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Hey! I've been around here for six years now and have had a number of opportunities to meet members in person...you know what? They are friends, old friends, and discussion continues forward just as it would on the net! You all are my friends. What could be a better definition of friends than of people who share mutual interest and give each other support and advice and encouragement? I think your wife might be a bit jealous of the bond you've developed here, Pete. Give her a big hug!

Mikki

Dot Hoffman
06-27-2007, 12:07 PM
This is a great place to make friends!!! and to meet so many in person at an event like the IAPS convention....well, that was really special. We got to know each other even better there, but would not have made the "connections" we did if we had not met you all here first!!! :)

scall0way
06-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Hey, I sure think of the WC group here as friends! I have not had the pleasure of meeting any in real life yet, but that would be a thrill too. I *have* met other people in real life that I've first met online, and it's always been a wonderful experience. :thumbsup: to all the great folks at WC. Especially the pastel bunch, which is where I hang out.

hopalong
06-27-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm new to pastel talk but I've been hanging out in the sketch thread for a few months and have met some really great people from the softy side. I ususally hang out in oilies. I love WC and have had such great experiences here. Everyone has helped me to grow as and artist and is very supportive. Personally, I think you could not find a nicer group of people. I too do not have many arty friends who will obsess with me about grounds, pigments, brands and techniques. Its so great to share experiences.

Thanks for starting a great thread. Long Live Wet Canvas!