PDA

View Full Version : Printing at home?

bluegypsy
06-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new printer, which I want to use for printing greeting cards, proofs, and other professional-type work. Most of my art will be sent to a printer, but for certain small jobs, I'd like to have a good way to do it myself. I'm just starting out, and while I like my HP Photosmart, it's not quite enough for semi-professional results. Any suggestions? Also, I know this question has been beat to death, but I'm going to ask with my own personal spin! If my monitor is set to 72 dpi, how do I know if what I do to edit my work in Photoshop, is what I'll get when I actually print, or save my digital files? Does calibrating my monitor actually help here, or is it all in the printing? Thanks so much, Janice:rolleyes:

Chiers
06-19-2007, 05:41 AM
Your monitor resolution won't effect your printout one way or the other. What you need to make sure of is that your paint program is set to a minimum of 150dpi/ppi. Most home inkjet printers will print out a good quality picture at that. If you send to a printer they will usually want it to be a minimum of 300dpi/ppi.
As far as the color results go it defineately will help to calibrate your monitor! One of my printers is an HP and it does a good job of matching my colors just the way it came from the factory.

bluegypsy
06-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks, Sherry, and I do, usually work with 300dpi, in printing, and in shooting pictures. But, and I hope I'm not sounding too dumb here, but I have to be honest, and I feel comfortable enough with you guys to say that sometimes I get so intimidated by all the technical stuff. Believe me, I love everything digital, and it would be safe to say that most would say I'm a girl/mom geek to some extent. But, I also feel that as an artist, I can get too caught up in reading or learning about better quality cameras, or the perfect curves and levels, that I lose sight of what my art is trying to do...say something that provokes thought and meaning...Instead of creating, I find myself starting my new greeting card business worrying about if my camera is good enough, or how can I compete with those gorgeous glossies in Print magazine? Then I have to remind myself that I'm NOT trying to compete. I'm merely trying to be the best ME I can be. But, because I still do have to take my equipment and resources into consideration, I constantly find myself at this elusive standstill, always wondering, always striving, for something I don't even know I might or might not need. Do I sound like a looney tunes character, or does anyone understand? Anyway, maybe I should post some of the work I've done and you guys can give me some suggestions. I appreciate you listening, and thanks again for being here...Janice:o