PDA

View Full Version : Untitled

Old Tex
06-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Just finished this one Sunday. Comments are always welcome.

Gouache on illustration board 11x14
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2007/100938-Untitled.jpg

Seleeni
06-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Wow, Ralph, you did a great job on the rocks. The colors are great. You seem to be learning by leaps and bounds. Looks like a brooding sky. Does the photos you work from actually show the light or do you imagine where the light would be?

Selene

meglyman
06-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Excellent work, Ralph! I love the slightly brooding sky and the atmospheric effects. The blues are perfect.
Meg

Old Tex
06-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks, you two. The sky is not quite as brooding as it appears here. I'm struggling with my photographic skills on these, since they're too large to go on the scanner. It's a bit lighter than you see here, but when I adjust in Photoshop, the colors change too, so I have to be careful about adjustments. Fortunately, the haze in the distance came through the way I painted it, but there's a slight glare right in the middle, probably from the lighting when I shot this one.

Selene, there was no photograph for this one. I had a photo of the pine trees on the right, and wanted a rocky setting for them. And the light was coming from the right in that photo. So I changed the light direction, and with the exception of those trees, the rest of the painting is a total figment of my imagination. On the Landscape Forum, a fellow from Oregon says it looks just like a lot of places in his part of the country, so I guess I came close.

MKathleen
06-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi Ralph, photographic skills or not it's a nice painting and one using the imagination with a little help from some pines. I like it!
We share two things in common right from the start 'gouache' and McKinney. I was born in McKinney and lived there off and one from the forty's to 1955. Grew up in California, but never forgot my Texas roots--still have family there. Some day I'll go back for a visit.
Kathy

Old Tex
06-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi Kathy! Nice to hear from you, and thanks for the kind words. I don't know how long it's been since you were last here, but if it's been since 1955, you are not going to recognize it.

Mary Woodul
06-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Lovely landscape, I'll have to come around here more often and try to learn this medium.

MKathleen
06-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi Kathy! Nice to hear from you, and thanks for the kind words. I don't know how long it's been since you were last here, but if it's been since 1955, you are not going to recognize it.

Hi Ralph, 1961 was the last time I visited McKinney, and even then there had been changes. My father and his brother's were firemen for the town for many years. My father also trained horses in his spare time, sence my love of horses. I have looked at McKinney Online and many of the familar places are gone or moved to another location.
I'm so pleased to see artist working in gouache here. When I joined WC some years back there was the watercolor forum only. Many times I had questions from other artist's wanting to know 'What is gouache? :clap: Now gouache has a forum on WC, and what a wonderful thing!
Kathy