PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher June 18 - June 24

Pat Isaac
06-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Good morning everyone,

It is a beautiful sunny, June morning and I'm off to the studio to finish up work.
My orchestra had an outdoor concert on Saturday eve at the bandstand of a neighboring town. It was in conjunction with their town park anniversary. Large crowd and a great concert, at least all said it was.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

AngelaF
06-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi, sounds the like concert was a very pleasant experience. I did buy some acrylics on the way to my mom's and did a 4x6 while I was there. It was a horse, of course. I saw it in a Lee Hammond book and was inspired to try it. It was conducive to portability, limited space and materials (used a paper plate and cup for palette) available. I bought a cheap set and cheap brushes, but since Ms. Hammond suggested a limited palette of colors to work with, I may try better quality, because I had trouble filling the holes of the canvas, which I didn't expect. May xpost painting after a little more touch up on it in acrylic and animal/wildlife forums.

Haven't called yet today on my mom's progress in going home. She did well enough on the weekend, will call after this post.

It is a scorcher today. Can't believe the length of time we have gone without rain. It may really effect the hay prices for us horse people.

I am slow getting back in the groove. Seems like I can only move in slow motion, but I am moving.

Hope everyone is well, Angela

Pat Isaac
06-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Glad you were able to get some painting done over the weekend. Let us know when you post it.
I hope things work out for your Mom. The good weekend at home should be in her favor.
Warm today, but just beautiful. Love it. It has been dry here too.
Finished up some paintings today and ordered frames. I will be home tomorrow as it is our anniversary and we will be doing work around here and then celebrating.

Pat

wabbitt
06-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone, Angela, Pat...

Angela, it sounds like your mom is making progress and so are you. That's great :)

Pat and everyone in the OP Society art show, congratulations! It all looks awesome and the paintings that won are well deserved. I feel privileged to have witnessed the development of many of them.

I have a short week ahead of me. I'll be going on vacation starting Friday and I have much preparation before then. So if you don't hear from me for a few weeks, I'm probably having too much fun. Actually, I'll be back by July 1 but that's such a short week too and I have a busy weekend after July 4. Then before that weekend ends, I've been scheduled for a business trip. I may look into the forums but doubtful I'll post unless I'm on my home computer. I enjoy travel but I'm really not looking forward to LAX (Lost Angeles airport) this summer.

Pat Isaac
06-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks, Julie. Have a great time. Where are you going?????

Pat

AngelaF
06-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Happy Anniversary, Pat!!! Thanks for your positive thoughts.

Hi, Julie, thank you, too. Your next few weeks sound very busy, but nicely busy for the most part. I hope you enjoy your vacation, and your business trip, also. Angela

AnnieA
06-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Pat: Sounds like a lovely concert! How's the studio hunt going? Happy anniversary!!! :)

Angela: Glad the acrylics worked for you and that your mom is doing well.

Julie: Wow, you're a busy lady! I hope your trips are both fun and that you'll have some interesting paintings to post as a result.

I've been fooling around with other stuff that I have to accomplish just lately, so haven't been posting as much. But today is an anniversary for me too - 1 year as a WC member! :) It's hard to believe it's only been a year - in many ways I feel it's been far longer. I've learned so much in my time at WC!

Pat Isaac
06-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Hey, congrats, Annie and thanks.
We had a big meeting last night regarding the studio situation. The present owner came and told us about a building he is going to buy and set up as an artists building. It is a former nursing home in the next town. Certainly doesn't have all the charm of an old mill building and the rents will be much higher than any of us are paying now, so doubt if any of us will move there. However, another artist in our group has been researching buildings in the area and we have 2 possibilities. We will be taking a tour of these sometime soon, possibly this week.

Pat

AnnieA
06-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Pat: Terrific that you have some new studio possibilities! I hope one works out for you. It seems to me it would be far more convenient to stay in town and if the rents are even more expensive in the building out of town, I can see why you would not want to go for that. Keep us posted...

AngelaF
06-20-2007, 06:42 AM
Congratulations, Annie. I have been a member for about a year, also -- but I certainly haven't been a minion like you -- congratulations and great work, Annie.

I am glad you may have some in town alternatives, Pat. I look forward to hearing more about what they are like.

I am back to trying to get things done around here. I had a handyman come yesterday to look at jobs I want to hire someone to do. On the phone he was very open to several things. But when he got here, he said it was further than he thought and that certain jobs (like moving a few kitchen cabinets), though he is a carpenter, "weren't his thing". jeesh! He is coming back this morning with another guy to look at the deck work this morning. He said originally that they could help with moving furniture if doing other work here, but that looks out now. I was just hopeful to get several done without hiring other people, but I guess I need to get on the horn some more. When I moved here, it was alot easier to get help with things than it is now.

Angela

Pat Isaac
06-20-2007, 08:57 AM
It is always so hard to get someone to do small jobs around the house. It seems as if they don't want to be bothered. I hope you have some luck finding the people that you need.

Pat

AngelaF
06-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I think I got some luck, the guy who came yesterday morning was a lot more open to doing a variety of things. He is starting with the deck, but was willing to move cabinets and to call the first guy to help with moving furniture later, yippee!. I went out to a flooring store yesterday, have samples laying all over the place. It is a lot harder than what I thought it would be to pick things. I think mainly because I look at something I think is beautiful in and of itself and then it is not the best thing for in the house, also it really does look different in the store than at home. I think I've got the great room/log cabin room figured out -- but the studio bedroom is giving me fits. Ligher wood will look good with the dark walls in the great room, though I didn't think I would pick light wood. The studio has dark wood work, but I painted the walls a very light biege/cream mottled old plaster like look. It seems to beg for a dark foor, but I don't know if that is a good idea in there. You'd think an "artist" would have a better clue, lol. Any thoughts, anyone?

Probably going to mom's overnight tomorrow, need to get car registration changed and then license renewal and give her back her checkbook and do other paperwork as well as give her some company.

Again, hope to get back to OP painting on the weekend as well as touch up the acrylic and post.

Angela

LJW
06-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Angela, good luck with the renovations. It is difficult to choose surfaces that will work well together when you see such small samples and have to try to picture the final result. I can tell you that a log house can seem dark on a rainy day, and needs lots of lighting. When we moved here our first modifications were to add pot lights in the kitchen and track lighting in the family room. I originally intended to use the family room as my studio but found it was too dark. My bedroom studio has light pine floors and white walls and is much better.

Pat, hope the local buildings work out for studio space. Too bad that this has disrupted your spring somewhat. It's a busy time in the garden.

Annie, congratulations on your year at WC. I joined a little before you and have really learned a lot here. It is great to have a community of people who understand what the activity of painting entails, both technically and emotionally. It keeps me motivated to try new things and I love the various challenges in the different forums. My painting has definitely improved since being here. Thanks for your critiques during that time.

Julie, have fun on your holiday. Jane

Pat Isaac
06-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Hooray, glad that you found someone. I can sympathize, Angela. It is so hard to deall with all the swatches of color and really hard to visualize it in it's entirety. I would definitley go with the light colors for the studio. hope you get to paint this weekend.
I received a call this morning at 8 from a fellow artist who said that our studios were broken into. I went up and the door was pried open, but nothing at all had been disturbed, same with the others on my floor. Only some studios above us and only some on the first floor, all the rest of the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd floors were undisturbed. the 1st floor studios were opened. The only thing taken was from a printer uner me, his monitor and computer processor. Very strange. Many people think it was a ploy by the new owner to get us out fast. Sigh, I really like to think people are honorable, but this is strange. This has never happened in all the years that we have been there.....
We are going to be touring other buildings next week.

Pat

AngelaF
06-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks Jane and Pat for some help with sorting out the decorating. I will give it a rest until next week. My friend vetoed the light wood for the log cabin family room and I am reconsidering, so though I thougt I had it I may not. If I do put dark in the studio, I will definitely get a light colored are rug. I know I will have to put in some ceiling lights of some type, Jane, in the log cabin great room. Well, I know this isn't a decorating forum, thanks alot for your help.

Pat, that break in is very strange. I did not realize the new owner was anxious for people to leave yet -- I thought his conversion plans were far down the road?

Off to mom's later today, hopefully back tomorrow in time and with energy for painting. Angela

LJW
06-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Pat, strange goings on. I'm glad nothing was disturbed in your studio. Hope you find something suitable soon. Angela, hope you have some time and energy for painting. Jane

Pat Isaac
06-22-2007, 04:29 PM
All of us thought the plans were far down the road too. However, obviously getting the zoning changed at town meeting gave him a green light and I can certainly understand that he wants to get moving on this soon. We just figured it would take months to get permits and it may, but he wants us out. We are touring some other buildings next week.

Pat