PDA

View Full Version : Richard C. Pionk

Todd N. Rustad
06-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Richard passed away on June 5, 2007 at NYU Medical Center after a long battle with cancer. A formal memorial service is planned for September 29, 2007 at the Salmagundi Club in New York. For more details you may visit: http://www.richardpionk.org (http://www.richardpionk.org/)

I have been working to contact as many people as possible, but since Richard's class was finished at the Art Students League in New York I am worried that many of his students do not know yet. Please share this information with your fellow artists. He cared so much for his students.

Best regards,

Todd N. Rustad
[email protected]
Richard's nephew

Pat Isaac
06-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi Todd,

I moved this thread here so that more people would see it and be able to respond.

Pat

eagle owl
06-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Oh, I am sorry. I loved his work.

RIP

Carol

BruceF
06-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Todd,

My condolences to you and your family. I didn't have the opportunity to take a class with your Uncle, but fellow students spoke highly of him.

I will pass this news to my classmates at the Art Students League. Maybe that will help get the news to his students that aren't taking summer classes. You might want to ask the League to post a notice on it's website. And the same of the Pastel Society of America.

AnnieA
06-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Todd: My condolences also. Richard Pionk's work was what first attracted me to pastels - I've loved his gorgeous still lifes for many years.

Some longtime subscribers to The Pastel Journal may remember his beautiful work that graced the cover of the February 2004 issue, and the story on his art in the same issue. From the article:
Richard Pionk was educated at the Art Students League in New York City. He's won more than 100 awards including being named a master pastelist by the Pastel Society of America and being inducted into the Pastel Hall of Fame. The New York artist teaches at the Art Students League and the Pastel School at the National Art Club. His work has been published in many art books and magazine articles. In 1994 he participated in an exhibition of contemporary pastel artists in Taiwan and recently his work was included in a new pastel museum in Hong Kong.

I never was able to take a class from him, although it had long been a dream of mine to do so. He will be deeply missed.