PDA

View Full Version : "Birthday"

kristinbbold
06-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Hello all! This is a piece I've been working on, off and on, for a couple of months now. It's a 24" x 48" acrylic on canvas. It was the first painting in a series I'm doing titled "Bitter Sweets". This particular piece is inspired by the similarities found in celebrating one's birthday and the festive holiday Dia de los Muertes ( Day of the Dead in English). It is a tribute to my own life and death and I created it for my own private collection. Overall I quite enjoyed painting it- but I came to a point where I felt it was becoming too busy so I just stopped. I went ahead and hung it on the wall and overall I really like it, but there is still something that's bothering me about it. The lower left hand quadrant seems to lose me visually. I think maybe the "ribbons" are leading my eye off the canvas? My husband and friends keep telling me its great and to leave it alone but I just can't quit thinking about it. I think maybe I've looked at it too long and thought maybe some outside input would help. So, what do you think?:confused:

P.S. The parts that look black are actually a dark violet.

veedubya
06-16-2007, 07:19 PM
I like this as a piece of your personal collection. Great idea! Maybe you just need a couple more bluebirds of happiness!

idylbrush
06-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Intriguing piece. Like the symbolism. Great colors and good execution.

cathrs
06-17-2007, 02:11 AM
The corner that worries you, does not worry me. Perhaps live with it a little longer?

Rettakat
06-17-2007, 02:39 AM
Very intriguing! I like it very much.

For me, I think it is the contrast between the bright green leaves (?) and the red/pink color that pulls my eye down to the lower left corner. I covered the green up and then looked again, and it calmed right down...just an idea.

But really, it's a fascinating piece!:clap:

RTT
06-17-2007, 12:00 PM
A rich, thought provoking work!
My first impression was of happiness, celebration - then I noticed the other symbols. Well done!

sendboij
06-17-2007, 01:07 PM
yeah very nice work!
i agree you should maybe consider adding a opposing vector in lower left corner.. so it wilkl become like an "X"

clementine
06-18-2007, 02:39 PM
as you are asking for I think that the bottom part is a bit heavy and for my taste the orange doen't fit with the rest but this piece is interesting ,as I can read it a thought about your birth day and you have perfectly convey the idea!
clem

kristinbbold
06-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and most helpful input! At first I thought it was the flow of the "ribbons" bothering me, but now I definitely think that Clem and Retta are both right- the green and orange in the flowers on the bottom are distracting my eye from the rest of the piece. I'm going to make some adjustments to that area and we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted!