PDA

View Full Version : Newbie need suggestions

clio
06-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi there,

I've been lurking here and having so much fun looking at beautiful works here. I'm not an artist but I was asked to design a cover image for a scientific research magazine based on a research concept. Now i have two images here and would appreciate your input.

Which of the two color schemes looks better to you? Or do you suggest using other colors? What tools in photoshop could I use to make the image look better? Any ideas, suggestions, or comments will be greatly appreciated!

:heart:
Clio

gigih
06-16-2007, 03:26 PM
not trying to be mean , but both images look a little blah. definitely need different color combos, try yellow/blue or yellow/red. it would help to know more of what you're trying to achieve to give more advice.

clio
06-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks for looking and giving me suggestions, Gigi. I know I can't call my images digital art, at least in the current form. I'll try the colors you suggested. Do you mean yellow in the background or yellow for the letters and blue/red in the background? Talking about what I'm trying to achieve, well, I want to have an image that looks pleasant and hopefully eye-catching on the cover of a magazine. Thank you!

gigih
06-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Play around with the colors and decide what looks most pleasing to your eyes, just remember that yellow is supposedly the most eye-catching color, I wouldn't use it as the background though, you might want a muted background and then the letters in yellow to grab people's attention.

NunaInua
06-16-2007, 04:32 PM
you can also make the background two different colors instead of yellow/white, purple/white.

Try adding a texture to the whole piece...it will give it more "depth".

Just put it on another layer so you can play with it.

Oh....if you give itmore depth it might help...add grater contrast...some deep tones and light tones.

clio
06-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Great suggestions! Thank you!
I played with the colors and tried to add texture to the background. Which of the three versions do you think would be worth following up and improving? I'm all ears now.

clio
06-16-2007, 10:01 PM
whoops! the distance of the shadows apparently changed when I changed image size. I meant to have the shadows closer to the branches.

Smokin
06-17-2007, 12:34 AM
I like the first ylw BG version so far.

If you havnt done so yet, goto a bookstore and look at it with different eyes, and see what catches your eyes and why and see if that helps you decide on the direction you want to take.

Personally I think the simpler the better. While the yellow color catches my eye, nothing else gives me much clues to what this book holds.

gigih
06-17-2007, 03:59 PM
I like the first with the lavender background.subtle texture and good clean lines

wrangler
06-17-2007, 07:27 PM
I like your logical design,which mimics the Golgi apparatus 's structure to some extent (also called the Golgi body, Golgi complex, or dictyosome) which (that)is an organelle found in typical eukaryotic cells.They're like semi circular black rings(was it your design inspiration)?.
However in a medical illustration or a Diagram of secretory process from endoplasmic reticuli ( paint it orange) to Golgi apparatus (Paint it pink,to may be orange).
Best Pink over light yellow,Try it,it may evoke professional's emotions(It good idea to think of the golgi apparatus function,in order to translate it to a design,I noticed the 3D like effect of the black letters shadows.
Hopefully been helpful.