PDA

View Full Version : When Life Gives You Lemons...

Muradsay
06-15-2007, 04:15 PM
This is a 16 x 20 oil on panel. I experimented with W & N's Liquin Gel for the first time. It allows you to mix oils into a buttery paste consistency that just sits there after you apply it, so impasto becomes very easy indeed.
The only place, however that I used this was in painting the flowers themselves. Everything else was done with my usual use of regular Liquin.

The other aspect of this painting that I'm excited by is having set-up a corner or our garage with a north light window, covering it with mylar to even out the light, and building a backdrop that I can paint any color in 5 minutes. Can't wait to see how a portrait sitting works here too.

comments are welcome, of course

murad

www.shadowchasers.com (http://www.shadowchasers.com)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2007/96463-sunflrslems.mail.jpg

chaz
06-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Murad, To Me this is one of your best pieces that I've looked at. Such great color and depth in this one. I truly envy you ( No, I'm wrong it's not envy at all, it's appreciation for a talent artist.)

Chuck

Muradsay
06-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks Chuck.

It was really a lot of fun to work with such bold colors too. I am very restrained about breaking out the cads and the cobalt, but in this case it was let fly.

murad

www.shadowchasers.com (http://www.shadowchasers.com)

Diana_pastels
06-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Murad, this is wonderful, very dramatic with the deep shadow yet bright lemons. And carrying the blue and yellow into the flowers, wonderful.
Diana

Haptopaint
06-17-2007, 10:50 PM
I love still lifes and this one is beautiful. You do realism, very well. The way that the fabric is draped and the play of light and shadow. Again, a beautiful piece of work.

Lady Carol
06-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Beautiful work. I am in awe. I think I need to hang up my brushes. Speaking of brushes, I like the brush stroke texture on the wall.

Muradsay
06-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Lady Carol, if I thought for one minute that my posting paintings here would serve to discourage another artist....I would have to stop doing so.

Paint. Paint for the love of it. Paint for the joy of feeling the brush slide, and seeing the stunning colors glide across the surface. Paint because, as Winston Churchill said, you don't have a tail to wag.

Do it for life.

murad

Lady Carol
06-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Lady Carol, if I thought for one minute that my posting paintings here would serve to discourage another artist....I would have to stop doing so.

murad
OK :o you called my bluff :D

jocelynsart
06-19-2007, 07:31 AM
I very much like this one! Would look forward to seeing a portrait in that light.
Jocelyn

Meimei
06-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Paint. Paint for the love of it. Paint for the joy of feeling the brush slide, and seeing the stunning colors glide across the surface. Paint because, as Winston Churchill said, you don't have a tail to wag.

murad

:thumbsup: This one's going in my art diary.
And for me - paint for the joy of blending. I'll never be an impressionist. I'm happiest when I blend.

Fabulous picture. Love the colors. This may be a still life life but this one is ALIVE.

A corner in the garage of western Maine? Hope you have a good heater in there!

Muradsay
06-22-2007, 08:26 AM
re: the garage

I think it will be pretty much a seasonal deal. But, by hanging some tarps and using a space heater, I made handmade knives in a cow barn one winter.

thanks for your comments

murad

barkingdogg
06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Lovely color combinations. Blues and yellows are so complimentary of one another and you've shown this beautifully. Very, very nice painting!

Victor
06-23-2007, 12:54 PM
A realistic masterpiece, the jug looks so solid and the lemons are making my mouth water, absolutely marvelous...

Victor....

stepnking
06-24-2007, 05:25 PM
This wonderful painting is a real mood setter. Also, glad to hear your opinion of Liquin Gel.

Muradsay
06-25-2007, 08:06 AM
My thanks to all of you for your generous comments.

I spent yesterday afternoon using this set to photograph a gigantic purple iris, a plate of the dark purple grapes, and a cut crystal piece of stemware with some amber sherry in it.....all on a silky grey cloth. Can't wait to tear into it.

And, I am already wondering how I am going to use the same set-up when the Maine winter clamps down on us......

murad

www.shadowchasers.com

Victor
06-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing that one....

Victor....

valchina612
07-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Murad, this is absolutely stunning. I can't single out any one part of it as being my favourite, because I just love the entire painting. Your light and shade and use of colour is brilliant. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Muradsay
07-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks, Valchina. For me, it almost wouldn't matter what objects were there. It is almost entirely about the quality of light that is illuminating them.

I have been looking at this 'north light' space (where this image was created) that I set up in my garage and wanting to get somebody to sit there for a portrait. Finally, my wife, Abby, has said she'd be willing.

murad

evolvingartist
07-10-2007, 12:14 PM
This still life is amazing Murad :clap:
Can't wait to see the portrait and what a lucky lady your wife is to be the subject!
I'm sure it will be an absolutely stunning painting as I've seen your portraits on your website :thumbsup:

palettetalk
07-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Gorgeous painting and I too will be waiting to see the portrait...
Cheers,
Susan

JoshCurryArt
07-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Just caught this. Murad very lifelike. I rather enjoyed seeing this one !!