PDA

View Full Version : Left, right or both

Doodlebug1967
06-14-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm copying this idea from someone in the Colored Pencil forum. I thought it interesting and thought you all might be as well. So what are you? Left- handed, right-handed, or ambidextrous?

Piper Ballou
06-14-2007, 02:48 PM
There is also left-brain and right-brain people.....interesting poll
piper

PeggyB
06-14-2007, 02:55 PM
I think one could say I am of two minds in this regard. :lol:

When it comes to art, I'm ambidextrous. I used to teach calligraphy and taught myself to use my left hand because I didn't think it right to try to teach lefthanded writers how to use a calligraphy pen without understanding their needs. Then there was a time when I had tendonitis in my right wrist and had to wear a brace for a few months. I had to use my left hand for everything! :eek: During that time I'd signed up to take a pastel portrait class, and didn't want to miss out on it so I did the whole thing left handed. I (and everyone else in attendance) was quite happily surprised with the result. Now I find when my right wrist begins to get tired I unconsciously switch to my left hand. I also find that switching hands will often give me a different "mind set" - not sure how to explain that phrase, but I do know I "see" differently when switching hands. One thing I need to keep in mind though is to keep the strokes going in the same direction if I'm at a place where that is needed!

Peggy

CM Neidhofer
06-14-2007, 09:32 PM
As far as art goes, I'm right handed, along with most everything else. But I hold and shuffle cards left handed and I shoot pool (from my wild child days!):eek: , left handed! Guess no one ever told me any different when I first started out and I'm "all thumbs" if I try to switch in either case.

Christine

Bringer
06-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi,

I'm right handed.
My grandfather was righthanded but he was leftfooted (is this the correct word?) when playing football (soccer).

Kind regards,

Josť

wabbitt
06-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Right side dominant, but the left side isn't all that bad. When a spot is awkward to draw or paint with my right, I simply use the left. Things are just go faster on the dominant side.

Kathryn Day
06-15-2007, 02:05 AM
Right handed for me. I've tried gesture drawing with the left, but it was really bad.

Goewyn
06-15-2007, 02:09 AM
I'm a leftie here. I'm actually surprised I'm the first lefty to respond, as I know quite a large percentage of left-handed artists.

-- Linda

Selahs art
06-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Right handed.

Retha

Susan Borgas
06-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Right handed for me but will use my left to get into tight places in my paintings. Sometimes will use my left hand if I feel my work will benefit from the different paint strokes as well.

Donna T
06-15-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm a leftie for drawing, painting and writing and sewing. Most everything else I do right-handed. I still can't use scissors designed for lefties. I was always given them in school and could never explain why I could not use them.

Donna T

CarlyHardy
06-15-2007, 11:34 AM
I never think about which hand to use except one time when I was trying to teach someone to knit and I realized that she wasn't understanding what I was doing. She said...I think it's because I'm left handed....which I hadn't noticed before. :) So I thought for a moment...then reversed my stitches (it felt like working backwards) but she understood it!

I write like a left handed person....only with my right hand. A clerk noticed that one day when I signed my name. She said...did you know you write upside down like a left handed person?

carly

lacey sprocket
06-15-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm a leftie, but I use the mouse with whichever hand is less tired. I bat left, but play pool right. It seems my left hand has more control, while my right has more strength. I agree that leftie scissors are strangely dissapointing. Canopeners and 3 ring binders bug me. Most teachers won't accept work done on the back side of binder paper, either.

My favorite leftie saying- All people are born right handed, but the strong, eventually overcome it. Haha! (sorry righties)

artist_pw
06-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi:

I answered left, but I am pretty ambidextrous. I can use scissors pretty equally with either hand because I made up my mind to do so in second grade because they only had right handed scissors to hand out. The world is so right handed by default, we lefties need to unite! ;)

I noticed the other day while in a paint out, I at least one time I put the pastel in my right hand without thinking - that was interesting.

Also include left-eyed (if you have to shoot something like a bow and arrow, whichever eye you leave open) and left-footed (if I have to kick something, that's normally the foot.)

Peggy - I noticed your posting - probably the different feeling is good for your brain and develops different pathways. There was a book or something I remember hearing about, that had types of methods like using your off-hand to brush your teeth or if you routinely drive one route to work and you can switch it up, do that so you're not on autopilot. Juggling is another good way to exercise your noggin.

Snowbound
07-02-2007, 08:08 AM
I am ambidextrous, though as the (decades) pass, I've noticed the each hand has picked up certain tasks and is more proficient than the other hand. When I started school, no one knew whether I was right or left handed, as I used either for anything, including drawing and lettering (my mother taught me). When my mom asked the teacher about it (with me discreetly listening in), the teacher explained that I should be allowed to experiment to find which hand felt most comfortable for me, but that if I could use my right hand for writing, it would make it less cumbersome. Being a scientist already, I tried several different approaches, decided writing was easier using right hand. I switched easily until around 5th grade, but still can write presentably with left hand. As for making art, I use both hands, sometimes interchangably, sometimes at same time. Other tasks, well, it just depends on which hand is closest to what needs doing! This runs in family, apparently.

I find it simply an idiosyncracy and doubt it has much to do with artistic ability. However, I am happy I have a pair of left-handed scissors, as sometimes they come in very handy. If only I could find them when I need them. (This applies to the darn right-handed scissors as well.)

Dayle Ann

Snowbound
07-02-2007, 08:10 AM
I am ambidextrous, though as the (decades) pass, I've noticed the each hand has picked up certain tasks and is more proficient than the other hand. When I started school, no one knew whether I was right or left handed, as I used either for anything, including drawing and lettering (my mother taught me). When my mom asked the teacher about it (with me discreetly listening in), the teacher explained that I should be allowed to experiment to find which hand felt most comfortable for me, but that if I could use my right hand for writing, it would make it less cumbersome. Being a scientist already, I tried several different approaches, decided writing was easier using right hand. I switched easily until around 5th grade, but still can write presentably with left hand. As for making art, I use both hands, sometimes interchangably, sometimes at same time. Other tasks, well, it just depends on which hand is closest to what needs doing! This runs in family, apparently.

I find it simply an idiosyncracy and doubt it has much to do with artistic ability. However, I am happy I have a pair of left-handed scissors, as sometimes they come in very handy. If only I could find them when I need them. (This applies to the darn right-handed scissors as well.)

Dayle Ann

Pabs
07-02-2007, 11:14 AM
I already voted on this poll, and went for the right hand, but after much thought, I maybe should have gone for both, as I sometimes do use the left, though not a great deal and usually for blending. This proves beyond all doubt that MEN CAN MULTI TASK!!!!!!
Is there a big difference between men and women as to left or right? No real reason, just a little curious.
Regards,
Pabs

Yusuke
07-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Interesting. I'm rightie but I sometimes use my left hand while painting (not mainly). I cannot use left hand for drawings. :)
I'm also curious to know who's leftie/rightie and see the works. I don't know why but I could guess who's leftie... Reading this thread, I found Lacey is left-handed, that is what I thought seeing her works. Very interesting. :) :) :)

Pabs
07-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Hiya Yusuke - how on earth can you tell if someone is left or right? With your comments on getting Lacey correct, there must be a theory, but what is it???
Plus, if you see the work in real life, that may be plausible, but to see it only from a downloaded, often not of the best quality picture seems to me to be remarkable!!!
Is it another lost ancient Japanese martial art (sorry for the pun!).
Regards,
Pabs

NickyW
07-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Im lefthanded, i often use my right hand to paint when its not too detailed. Pastels are easier then pencils to paint with whilst using my right hand, i play the guitar right handed, do most things right handed, even use my knife and fork right handed, but i think that comes with being the only left handed person in my family. I also can write right handed but am alot slower as i dont do it often.

Goewyn
07-10-2007, 11:35 AM
In pastel WIPs, you can often tell who's leftie and who's rightie, as the person will work from the opposite corner of the paper to avoid smudging! :lol:

-- Linda

WC Lee
05-07-2009, 05:44 AM
For the most part, I am right handed but some things I can do with either hand particularly sports when I was younger (bats, hockey sticks, basketball), doubt if I can still do it though :D Other than that, the left hand usually just hold things for the right hand :D Art related stuff are pretty much done with the right hand, but with pastels, I do use my left hand occasionally for blocking in (need to use the right hand for details and accuracy).

Dea
05-07-2009, 06:58 AM
I am right handed but like a lot of others I can draw with my left, can't write with it though,

Deanna

knippes
05-07-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm definitely right handed, but can use the left if I'm in a pinch. I broke my right shoulder and it took a while to heal, so I had to teach myself to use the left. But I am left footed. Interesting thread.
-Kym

gingersnap
05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
hello,

i am a leftie. poll was tough though.i use my right hand a lot. i can write neat with both hands. like artist pw. i am left eye dominant. though i play guitar and bat right handed. i can catch and throw with both hands for baseball...it didnt make me a better player though. lol!! it was a tough one because i assume most lefties are both ampi too!!! more out of necessity. scissors are a nightmare!!! interesting poll ~ginger

adventureartist
05-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Rightie. I'm a horse person, so riding has helped balance both sides, but unfortunately I have used my left arm to break too many falls so it has been broken three times including the hand and wrist. I never had the need to encourage my left to do much more than support the right, which is great when shoveling manure but bad for writing or artwork. Perhaps I should do as Peggy did, and teach my left to do more!

ElsieH
05-07-2009, 05:05 PM
:wave:

Basically, I'm right handed, especially when I write and draw.
But, I play the violin and have been so since childhood, as well piano. In those both I use the left hand quite a lot. With the violin, all the fingering is with the left hand. I tend to use my left hand in doing lots of stuff.

ArtSavesLives
05-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I am most definitely lefthanded . . . but both hands get colorful when I paint with pastels!