PDA

View Full Version : Creek

Old Tex
06-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Kind of a sedate scene, but the point here was to experiment with the paint at a larger size than I've done before. Gotta work on my highlighted tree trunks. C&C welcome.

Gouache 11x14
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2007/100938-Creek_061307.jpg

meglyman
06-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Ralph,

It's great to see you upping your size. Soon enough you'll be working out 4x5 foot masterpieces. (Does illo board even come in that size?) ;)

The composition is serene but the colors are warm, which makes me feel brooding tension in the scene. I think the sky adds to that feeling - looks like a sky about to unload hail or maybe a tornado (I love that color). Your lighted tree trunks look fine!

My only suggestion is to increase the range of hues - the values in this are great but it's fairly monochrome. Could be what you were going for, which is fine, but compared to your other works, this one doesn't have as much color.

Meg

Old Tex
06-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks, Meg! I think 30x40 would be the limit on illustr. board, but I don't see myself ever getting to that point! It's just kind of nice to have a little more brush freedom with the larger size.

The color is a little off in the photograph, probably due to the light when I shot it. This was too big to scan, so I've got to work on my photography skills now. This one actually had a lot more color, and I ended up overpainting and toning it down. Probably should have left it alone. A great learning exercise, though.