PDA

View Full Version : What Pastel Do You Use And Why

bose
06-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi Folks.
First of all humble apologies, if this question as been asked before, but was wondering, What Pastels are everyone using and why.

For what it's worth, I favour, UNISON SOFT PASTELS, because they spread to any paper like butter does to fresly baked hot bread, LOL, even Watercolour Paper, is no problem, BOCKINGFORD 140lb Weight.

The next I use is a great favourite on here SCHMINICKE SOFT PASTELS, just fantastic in colour, and I have some broken ROCHE bits, which Isabell at ROCHE, very kindly sent me as FREE SAMPLES,

Even SCHMINCKE, sent me, A BRAND NEW BOX, OF 15 SOFT ARTIST PASTELS, as a FREE SAMPLE, and UNISON, sent me A FREE 18 PASTEL STORAGE BOX, but I did buy the Pastels though, on this occassion.LOL.

So over to you, what do you use and why.

Love this Site, there are so many great Artists on here, just wish I was as good, but sadly nowhere near, but your all a great bunch of Guys and Girls. anyway. LOL.
Cheers.
Tony.

Donna T
06-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Tony, I had no idea that the pastel companies would send free samples! I guess I never thought to ask, but I sure will now! If you like your Unisons you might like the Mount Visions too. I like them because they are soft enough to cover well but not too soft that other colors can't be layered on top of them. The Mount Visions are also more affordable than the Unisons, at least where I usually get them.

Donna T

Kathryn Wilson
06-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah, how did you wangle them into the free samples?

I am loving my full set of Mount Visions - 4-5 values on every color really makes it much easier for me to get the values correct. No more searching around in a bunch of nameless pastels for just the right color. They are nicely soft, but not so soft that you can't layer over them with another brand and they are really the best buy, cost-wise.

Doodlebug1967
06-13-2007, 02:04 PM
I use mostly Senneliers, some Rembrandts and a few AS. Only because I haven't tried others yet. Hopefully I will get that opportunity this weekend. I got a sample set of different pastels from Dakota, but they are not colors I use much so I haven't had the opportunity to really try them

Kat - I'm envious of your full set of MVs. I've heard they are awesome and will have to try them.

Ronda

Daveylynn
06-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Other than Nupastels, I've mostly used Rembrandts. I ordered a few Senneliers and Schmincke in dark landscape colors to try out. So far I prefer the Rembrandts. I tend to get into trouble with the softer pastels with overloading the paper. I think it is because I am new to pastels and feel that at this stage I am a "pastel pusher." The harder pastels seem to be more forgiving. But I love the sensuous feeling of the soft pastels, and hope I can learn to use them.

Davey

LunaGirl20
06-13-2007, 05:40 PM
How about CarbOthello's, are they good?

RooGal
06-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi Tony,
I started with a 90-pc landscape set of Rembrandt, mostly because I got it for half the price I would normally have to pay. I then added a 30 pc set of general Sennelier, and now I've added individual sticks of Art Spectrum and Schminkes. I have not used the Schminkes much, mostly because I only have 4 or 5 sticks and just haven't needed those particular colours. I am quite happy with what I have and look forward to adding more colours as I progress. I would love to try Unison, but I haven't seen them here.

Don't be shy in posting your work. You can always do the Weekly sketch or the monthly project. We are always learning more. I have also spent time in the D & S forum and that has been beneficial to me as well.
Good luck with your pastels! Time to get dusty.

LunaGirl20 - I know a lot of people like CarbOthello. I only have one in black, did pick up a 12 pc set of Derwent pencils to try. Wish I could afford a larger set of either one.
Cheers!

Goewyn
06-13-2007, 06:35 PM
I use Rembrandts for my workhorses/underpaintings just because they are cheap and easy to obtain - I have about 130 of those. I bought a small set each of most of the other major brands to try as well.

My favorites of the higher end are the Unison and the Ludwigs. I love the shape of the Unison, as they have an edge to them, as well as their color depth.
Possibly my absolute favorite are the Ludwigs, but I treat them like gold and only use a small amount in my paintings. I have his dark set and have to be careful not to get drool on them each time I open that box! :p

I also have the CarbOthello 60 set, and find these invaluable for details.

-- Linda

Bringer
06-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi,

Quoting Linda :

«Possibly my absolute favorite are the Ludwigs, but I treat them like gold and only use a small amount in my paintings. I have his dark set and have to be careful not to get drool on them each time I open that box! »

So you don't need to use fixative....:_)

Kind regards,

José